U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:55 AM

2,828 posts, read 1,622,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Ive got my flame suit on. I'm went to college graduation today. Yes I get it, motherhood is tough but seriously a mom is sitting there with a kid that screamed for 2 hours and refused to take him out. Screamed through the graduate names being presented, through guest speakers, every thing.

No words because I'm looking for the biggest bottle of tylenol I can find for my massive headache.
Years ago I worked in a small second run movie theater. We had a lady show up one night to the late show with a toddler (I never got that honestly).

Kid screamed and screamed. We offered her free tickets to any showing she wanted if she would just leave. She absolutely refused.

"I came to see this movie and I'm seeing the movie!!!!!"

"M'am, you can come back on the house any time you want. The movie is here for at least another week"

"NO!!! I'm here and I'm STAYING!!!"

I felt really bad for the people around her and I'm pretty sure we gave out a number of free tickets to other patrons who couldn't take it. At least employees were able to hide.

Oh, and graduations ARE boring. Sorry. I didn't even go to my own college graduation.

My parents had no issues leaving a room or a restaurant if one of us kids was acting up. And by leave, I mean actually leave. They got that kids weren't always quiet and never felt others should have to suffer. Sometimes we'd sit in the car with one parent and a screaming sibling while the other parent waited for the food to be wrapped up to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 11:34 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,083,374 times
That parent was both insanely rude and ill prepared. I would never take a toddler to a graduation or anywhere they have to be still and quiet for an extended period. This is when we used a sitter. Granted they may have come from out of town and in that instance the least she could do is leave but to just sit there is awful.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:26 PM

2,078 posts, read 550,297 times
That's just wrong. I agree OP. Rude RUDE RUDE!

Old 05-12-2018, 12:29 PM

4,988 posts, read 3,850,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We get pressured quite often to attend our friend's kids graduations - both high school and college. Back when I graduated, it was normally just family who attended these boring things. Now parents will invite everyone they know and expect an entourage of all their friends to show up at their son or daughter's commencement ceremony. If you're one of these parents just know that lots of people hate these things and resent being asked to attend if it's not their own kid, grandkids brother or sister. The ceremonies are of little interest to anyone else (sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings). No wonder the toddler acted up and had a tantrum.
Thank You!!

Old 05-12-2018, 12:33 PM

4,988 posts, read 3,850,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
It used to be common for many churches to have "cry rooms" to take the little one so as not to disturb everyone else. There would usually be speakers in there so the mom, or whoever wouldn't miss what was going on. Those were a great invention.
We have one in our church but people won't use them

I stopped going to sunday morning mass cuz parents would bring their kids - with ipads and other toys. Playing music and games and not with headphone either. Sheesh

The priest is the type that says kids will be kids. Not like the other old fashioned kind that would melt you with one stare! I liked those -

Now I go to the old people mass in the afternoon.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:03 PM

1,679 posts, read 638,256 times
Quote:
I also think it's rude to invite a non-family member to graduation. I come from a different generation. We didn't have preschool graduations, kindergarten graduations, elementary school graduations. These things were considered ordinary achievements, not special at all. And that's still how I feel about them. My opinion about these events and who should be invited to them won't change.
I will go if invited though I'm not enamored of the idea of sitting at a 2+ hour ceremony

It definitely has changed since I was a kid, too. My daughter's schools had graduations for kindergarten, elementary school and even middle school! The only pomp and ceremony I recall from my school days was getting a kindergarten certificate and a Beatrix Potter book when I completed kindergarten. It was exciting at the time anyhow

Old 05-12-2018, 05:00 PM

20,801 posts, read 21,390,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I will go if invited though I'm not enamored of the idea of sitting at a 2+ hour ceremony

It definitely has changed since I was a kid, too. My daughter's schools had graduations for kindergarten, elementary school and even middle school! The only pomp and ceremony I recall from my school days was getting a kindergarten certificate and a Beatrix Potter book when I completed kindergarten. It was exciting at the time anyhow

I don't remember Kindergarten, but I definitely remember elementary school graduation (6th grade) and junior high graduation (9th grade). I'm in my mid 50s. Public school. My husband indicates he had a graduation from elementary (8th grade) to high school. He's in his early 60s and attended Catholic schools.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:10 PM

321 posts, read 254,291 times
I was in the exact same situation as that mother and I pretty much missed my husbands graduation because of it. There is no excuse for what she did.

My daughter was born while my husband was in graduate school (while working a demanding executive job) and it was a huge accomplishment for him requiring lots of sacrifices on both of our part. The only people I had to watch her were his parents who came to the ceremony, so she came with me but I knew that the odds of her sitting quietly were zero so I was prepared to leave. I had snacks, books and quite toys in an attempt to make it work. We found a seat in the back for easy exit. And of course, she was fussy because she was 13 months and just learned to walk and the last thing she wanted to do was sit.

I spent two hours walking around the stadium with her holding my fingers missing the speakers. When they were about to call his name, I opened the door and stood at the back. She yelled loudly "Daddddadadadada" when he crossed the stage. The entire stadium laughed and I snuck back out.

Then we had a graduation party at a restaurant that I planned and paid for out of money I earned mystery shopping. But the had missed her nap - walking around for four hours is exhusting and started crying in the restaurant. I put her in the car and drove home alone. I didn't get to celebrate his graduation. I cried the entire way home and was very sad. But I didn't want to subject other people to my kid. Thankfully my husband brought me home food and we ate it together when he got back from the party and she was asleep.

The woman should have stepped out.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:37 PM

4,102 posts, read 1,412,108 times
Everyone wants to condemn this mother, but what they don't realize is that if she'd chosen not to attend the graduation, who knows how that would have gone down with others. That could be seen as a huge betrayal. She could have gone because of emotional black mail from a family member or friend. Who knows?

Old 05-13-2018, 01:48 AM

8,413 posts, read 9,860,169 times
Quote:
Everyone wants to condemn this mother, but what they don't realize is that if she'd chosen not to attend the graduation, who knows how that would have gone down with others. That could be seen as a huge betrayal. She could have gone because of emotional black mail from a family member or friend. Who knows?
So she stays with a screaming baby because of emotional blackmail from family. Don't know what could have "gone down" with others. I think most people responding here don't deal with that sort of sordid drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or