U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:56 PM

16,429 posts, read 15,834,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is my next door neighbor, and with our small lots and the way the front door faces, it's hard not to notice. Every afternoon, a van pulls up, a woman and the two kids get out. She walks them up to the front door, unlocks it for them, they go inside, she locks the door, gets in her van and leaves. Two hours later, both parents get home.

I'm not a nosy neighbor, and the last thing I want to do is make the neighbors uncomfortable or cause any difficulties for them. I just feel like the kids are too young to be home alone.
Are you 100% sure that no one is home with them? Even if it is bedridden, elderly great-grandparent that you have never seen?

If you are sure that they are alone, I would contact someone, if you don't want to call CPS. Call the school, the police, a local clergyman, someone, anyone. Or, talk to the parents.

This is clearly neglect.

You are a mother, can you imagine even the most mature four and five year old children being safe for two hours by themselves? And, how do you know that it will just be until school gets out. Maybe, in the summer they are planning on leaving their children home alone all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 08:03 PM

84,880 posts, read 98,615,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'd call CPS.

This is beyond negligent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Are you 100% sure that no one is home with them? Even if it is bedridden, elderly great-grandparent that you have never seen?

If you are sure that they are alone, I would contact someone, if you don't want to call CPS. Call the school, the police, a local clergyman, someone, anyone. Or, talk to the parents.

This is clearly neglect.

You are a mother, can you imagine even the most mature four and five year old children being safe for two hours by themselves? And, how do you know that it will just be until school gets out. Maybe, in the summer they are planning on leaving their children home alone all day long.
Absolutely alert someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is my next door neighbor, and with our small lots and the way the front door faces, it's hard not to notice. Every afternoon, a van pulls up, a woman and the two kids get out. She walks them up to the front door, unlocks it for them, they go inside, she locks the door, gets in her van and leaves. Two hours later, both parents get home.

I'm not a nosy neighbor, and the last thing I want to do is make the neighbors uncomfortable or cause any difficulties for them. I just feel like the kids are too young to be home alone.
I would think the last thing you'd want would be for something to happen to those kids.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 PM

10,287 posts, read 7,417,405 times
So call CPS before you even talk to your neighbor and offer a solution? Because right now they apparently don't have a solution. They may have another neighbor keeping an eye out - though that's not a solution.

I feel really bad for the kids, too. Kinda young to be latchkey kids. Still, don't make things worse for the kids by having strangers yank them from the homes.

Because it's so serious, consider the direct approach. "I know, for whatever reason, your kids are unattended and I wanted to offer some help before someone calls CPS on you. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices." I wouldn't offer for free, though. After-school activities probably cost at least $100/week for 2 kids (that would be extremely cheap) so see if they'd give your daughter $5/day for the 3hrs that seems to be the norm then $3/hr for each additional hour. Something really cheap but not free for your daughter's sake and make it so they can't take advantage of her. Maybe your daughter can write up a contract or something spelling out the agreement.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 PM

10,852 posts, read 18,796,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I bet the kids have been instructed not to open the door for anyone. Your daughter and her cookies may not gain entry.
I hope the kids have been told not to open the door for anyone. I also wouldn't take food to kids without the parent's permission

Old 05-14-2018, 08:44 PM

10,852 posts, read 18,796,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
That's sad. Is he leaving them alone because he has to go to work?
I think so. He was working in the oilfields and gone weeks at a time, and the mom was home with the kids. Then he was home all the time, and she started working. Now they're both working. They also have a baby, and the mom gets home with the baby, so I'm assuming the baby is in daycare.

There are after school programs that are very affordable, but they fill up at the beginning of the school year. I'm thinking the girls didn't need it when school started because their mom was home, and the parents couldn't sign them up for it mid year when it became necessary.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 PM

126 posts, read 63,344 times
It's no excuse but they dont make it easy for average working people to have kids in this country. So many times you pay a babysitter or day care close to what you might be making. Has childcare become overpriced? Where i live daycare is $2500-$3000 a month. That seems insane.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:41 AM

371 posts, read 155,883 times
Just go over and start visiting with the kids. Ignore anyone who tries to discourage the clear solution.

Don't call CPS. I say that only because of my experience as a Foster Parent and working there temporarily. Most kids go to institutional like settings where they sleep together on mattresses on the floor not watched at all for most of the day. There are a ton of kids crammed into one huge room because there are never enough foster parents like us. It is HELLA traumatic.

The risk of what might happen when their alone needs to be weighed. I suggest you check on them, your daughter or whoever and do this regularly as you can. Ensure the kids have your telephone # and feel free to come over to your house at any time in which they need or want you. Kids like to be alone for a while, they're probably just watching a movie.

I am not justifying their actions but weighing what outcome is best for the children. CPS isn't it from what youve posted. Good luck. Again, so nice of you to care. The world needs more people like you

Old 05-15-2018, 01:24 AM

3,963 posts, read 1,751,971 times
I think it’s sweet that your daughter is willing to help. I also wonder if they think the woman is more involved than she actually is.

In fact, this woman that brings them bothers me more than anybody else. Does she lock them in too? If so, a fire code violation vs lack of supervision would likely become the focus of a CPS investigation. I walk a fine line on this as well, with double-keyed deadbolts due to an Autistic son who has a history of wandering attempts, yet not turning the house into a death trap should I become incapacitated.

I know how awkward it sounds to approach your neighbor but maybe there is a way to make it a little less awkward? Are they ever outside? I have 16 year old twin girls & they are kid magnets. Seriously, all they have to do to get solicited for babysitting jobs is to go out front for a few minutes or take the dog for a walk.

I guess I’d rather at least approach them for the kids sake; it’s the right thing to do.

I wonder what their plans are for the summer. My kids will be out of school by the end of the month.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:49 AM

3,631 posts, read 9,213,416 times
It only takes one fire, one accident, one dangerous person, etc. to make you wish you had said something to someone.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:07 AM

716 posts, read 211,679 times
NEVER EVER look away, be silent, mind your own business when a child's safety is at risk. NOT EVER!!!!!!!

people that say "mind your own business" "don't get involved" are cowards who can't stand up for what is right. what is just. what is needed in this awful awful world where so many turn a blind eye to abject cruelty.

ALWAYS DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STAND UP. BE COUNTED AMONGST THE MENTSCH'S OF THE WORLD.
What is happening to those young children is a CRIME. PERIOD. END OF MY RANT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or