U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 03:16 PM

10,737 posts, read 18,320,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Fine, go over and visit when the parents are home. But it's not cool just to go over and invite yourself into their home, and hang out with the kids without the parent's permission.

And I don't think I'm being dramatic. I do think you're going to freak the parents out though, just being in their house, without their permission. Assuming you get past the locked door.
I would never go over when the parents weren't home. My kids have known not to open the door to strangers since they were three (and my oldest let a repairman in while I was in the restroom). I hope the kids next door know not to open the door to anyone either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 03:17 PM

84,237 posts, read 97,370,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Then place a call to CPS and be done with it. I wouldn't get personally involved.

OP, my thing is this: Do you really want to take on the burden and responsibility for two small children indefinitely? What happens if your daughter offers to baby-sit and can't make it one day? Since the parents don't care about the kids being left alone, is that going to leave her scrambling to find a replacement? If both parents are working, then what's prevented them from finding a sitter from the get-go? I understand being concerned for the children's safety, but inserting yourself into a dysfunctional situation is going to cause more headaches than it's worth.
Whoa there! I'm not the OP, I have no knowledge of this situation.

I think it's ironic that we frequently see posts on here about people bragging about calling CPS or whoever for incidents that happen in stores and/or parking lots, but some think this is OK! No, it's not OK!

Your question about the parents not having a sitter is a good one, one that CPS will probably ask them if they become involved.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:07 PM

15,983 posts, read 15,301,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I do wonder about the van driver though, and how they would be ok with leaving the kids home alone. I wonder if the parents are paying them to stay for 2 hours and don't even realize they aren't there? Obviously they know the driver isn't there hen they get home, but maybe they agreed to let them them leave 10 or 15 minutes ahead when the parents get home. Still not ideal but I could see someone thinking that could be ok vs. leaving kids alone for 2 hours.
(snip)
I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

(snip).

If the parent(s) say, "Oh the kids are fine; they have a cell phone, and we're not that far away, blah, blah", I'd hoist the red flag.
These kids are being locked in to the house, probably with a deadbolt which they may not even have the dexterity to be able to open in case of an emergency. Now I know, because I've seen it here, that someone will say "Just how often is there a fire in a house?" It doesn't matter. It only takes one. Plus there are numerous other emergencies that could happen. These kids are too young to even be told to go to the neighbor's if there was a problem, especially since they're locked in. Yes, I'd call CPS.
Sadly, we have so many children killed in house fires in my metropolitan area that they often don't even make the front page of the newspaper. Unless it is something like the woman who locked her three young children in a bedroom (the daughter was five and the twins were four) when she went to her part time job. The house started on fire due to a short in the wiring and the children, obviously, could not get out. Mom is now in prison for 18 years (plus 18 years of probation).

Old 05-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Status: "His name is Mr. Fish and he rules with an iron fist." (set 7 days ago)

6,096 posts, read 2,293,288 times
Your obligation here is clear. Tell the neighbors they can either pay your daughter to watch their kids for $X per hour or you will call the cops and have their children taken away from them. If they resist, double the $X rate, pull out your cell phone and start dialing the police. They don't want to lose their kids, and you have them by the short hairs.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-15-2018 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: keep ypur politics in that forum

Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,781,420 times
I can tell you from experience, when I was a young kid I was left alone at the age of 7. My mom died and I guess my dad didnít think it was a big deal but I can remember getting scared a lot. And, although I knew how to use the phone in case of emergency, it was not a great comfort. Very young kids should not be left alone. I would have to intervene somehow.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:42 PM

5,344 posts, read 1,916,949 times
Call CPS. Children that young should not be left home alone.

We have some people in our area who do this and their kids roam the neighborhoods looking for food because they are hungry after school.

Also, I wouldn't want my teenage daughter babysitting for these people or getting mixed up with people who do things like this.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:43 PM

5,344 posts, read 1,916,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Your obligation here is clear. Tell the neighbors they can either pay your daughter to watch their kids for $X per hour or you will call the cops and have their children taken away from them. If they resist, double the $X rate, pull out your cell phone and start dialing the police. They don't want to lose their kids, and you have them by the short hairs.

Moderator cut: orphaned
Sorry but that could be considered extortion. "Hire my kid, pay her money or I'll call the cops and report you". Do you realize that kind of threat is probably illegal?

Worst advice here.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-15-2018 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 PM

84,237 posts, read 97,370,602 times
Some relatives, nameless to protect the guilty, once left their 10 year old daughter and 8 year old son home alone one day because it was a day off school and they had not arranged for any day care. A big thunderstorm came up, and when the first parent got home, they found the kids hiding in a closet. Kids don't think like adults, and things that don't scare adults scare them.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:49 PM

12,838 posts, read 19,436,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Unless you think the kids are in danger, I'd stay out of it. If I were your daughter I wouldn't offer free babysitting services either. That's a surefire way to get taken advantage of.
I am truly gobsmacked at the posters advocating MYOB. These are very young children. Nobody should look the other way.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:00 PM

15,358 posts, read 12,843,364 times
I would tell them someone else in the neighborhood asked me if the kids were home alone and were considering calling family services and you just wanted to let them know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or