U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 AM

35 posts, read 9,840 times

Advertisements

I was never really into the blogging community or YouTube (except to watch music videos from 10 years ago lol) so Iím just wondering what everybodyís favorite parenting blogs, or parenting-related YouTube channels are. Thereís got to be some decent ones out there, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Nobody? I guess they all suck?

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

2,935 posts, read 1,152,909 times
Scary Mommy.

It introduces sanity.

Old Today, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Scary Mommy.

It introduces sanity.
Thanks MinivanDriver!

Old Today, 06:18 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,572,275 times
My children are 20-something adults, but for some reason I still read parenting stuff. I'm a huge fan of John and Julie Gottman for their work on relationships. Their website has a parenting blog since they've written books on parenting also. It focuses on emotional well-being and communication, as well as, the relationship between parents. Somehow their blog comes up in my Facebook feed. It's always interesting to me.

https://www.gottman.com/blog/categor...tion-coaching/

Old Today, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
My children are 20-something adults, but for some reason I still read parenting stuff. I'm a huge fan of John and Julie Gottman for their work on relationships. Their website has a parenting blog since they've written books on parenting also. It focuses on emotional well-being and communication, as well as, the relationship between parents. Somehow their blog comes up in my Facebook feed. It's always interesting to me.

https://www.gottman.com/blog/categor...tion-coaching/
Ok, nice! Yeah, relationship ones are definitely useful for me too! Thanks rrah!

Old Today, 06:38 AM

41,803 posts, read 47,883,673 times
Quote:
Scary Mommy.

It introduces sanity.
I like some of that.

But then there are all these dumb articles about how you should be totally OK with doing completely wrong things. And anyone who points out that they're wrong is some sick judgmental turd who is against you as a woman.

The 2 examples that come to mind immediately are keeping a clean home and not feeding your kid crap all the time.
They act like that's impossible.

Old Today, 08:01 AM

2,935 posts, read 1,152,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I like some of that.

But then there are all these dumb articles about how you should be totally OK with doing completely wrong things. And anyone who points out that they're wrong is some sick judgmental turd who is against you as a woman.

The 2 examples that come to mind immediately are keeping a clean home and not feeding your kid crap all the time.
They act like that's impossible.
True, but they act as humorous counterparts to all the "Why isn't your life perfect?" blogs out there.

Here's the thing. There are times when raising kids is indeed chaos. It's not this picture-perfect march from infancy to college graduation. There are times when the house is going to look like Verdun in 1917. There are times when you say or do things you regret. There are times when you want to just get in the car and drive until you run out of gas and start hitchhiking. The problem is that a lot of these parenting blogs will make you feel abnormal and insufficient if you aren't feeling that way.

Plus anything that makes me laugh is a worthwhile read.

Old Today, 10:06 AM

9,906 posts, read 5,972,680 times
I don't like any of them, to be honest. I do read some blogs from real experts about topics I am interested in. But I would rather read a book or an article that was vetted to some degree.

Oh man...I have had so many tangents on these mom blogs and mom you tubers.

I do like the Holdermesses you tube videos quite often. I feel like they are just enjoying pop culture and not trying to be the expert on anything.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

41,803 posts, read 47,883,673 times
Quote:
True, but they act as humorous counterparts to all the "Why isn't your life perfect?" blogs out there.

Here's the thing. There are times when raising kids is indeed chaos. It's not this picture-perfect march from infancy to college graduation. There are times when the house is going to look like Verdun in 1917. There are times when you say or do things you regret. There are times when you want to just get in the car and drive until you run out of gas and start hitchhiking. The problem is that a lot of these parenting blogs will make you feel abnormal and insufficient if you aren't feeling that way.

Plus anything that makes me laugh is a worthwhile read.
Of course.
I don't think anyone has a problem with why their house is a disaster every once in a while or their kid eats a hot cheeto here and there.
But these articles are usually named something like, "Why my child each French fries and junk food every day and that's OK" and "I choose to live with 8 day old dog doo in the living room bc making memories is more important than not getting worms," etc.

We'd gone so overboard in validating everyone's feelings and behavior that we are now willing to validate all sorts of nonsense in the name of not making someone feel bad. Well, guess what? Sometimes you really ought to feel bad for the way you act. Sometimes what you're doing is not OK.
And it's not my job to run around and judge someone and tell people that, but I'd also prefer that there not be articles out there supporting poor choices.

That's my biggest problem with the articles shared by that blog. I don't really feel like it's a bunch of people who are commiserating over the crazy things that do happen and the few times things go out of control or we cave or our kids are too much.
I feel like more often than not, I am seeing more and more articles devoted to giving up having any standards at all.

There are some funny ones, though. I'll give you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or