U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 03:01 AM

1,255 posts, read 697,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I watched it and it does glamorize suicide. It isn't about it being graphic, the issues people are most concerned about is that it makes suicide look like a way to get back at people who wronged you and get the attention you wanted while alive. The girl who kills herself is very pretty but in teenage drama and depression. It really did glamorize suicide.

Knowing that, I think it needs to be watched by teens with a parent, if at all.

I imagine season 2 will be similar. I haven't watched it.

The new Anne series is very dark and so I wouldn't let my kids watch it until I felt like they could handle the topics...and with an adult to talk about specific issues. This might be more true for kids who were adopted.

I wouldn't flat out ban either of these shows, but I would pre-screen them, and make sure I felt they were mature enough to handle the content and also I would watch with them and use them for teaching topics.

P.S. Daisy, isn't it a little hypocritical to bash parents who think Show dogs isn't appropriate for children but then think this one isn't good for teens?
highflyingbird, I felt that way about it too. to me I didn't even like the main character hannah because it seemed like she was just looking to get revenge. i can see it giving teens the wrong idea.

I think with show dogs like I haven't seen that movie but the part they were talking about doesn't connect in any way to what that mom thought it did. that just seemed crazy to me. But with this show it's just straight up about making suicide look good which isn't cool. thats just my opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 02:05 PM

13 posts, read 3,970 times
As a parent, I can't really say. My daughter's only 4 so of course she's not watching.
But as an advocate for suicide prevention, and someone who has lost a loved one in this manner - I have to say that I think 13 Reasons Why is dangerous. It glorifies suicide. I think it could make the idea appealing to young people who are already confused and not thinking clearly.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:57 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,578,037 times
When the show came out last year, there was tons of stuff in the media about it. I elected NOT to allow my teenagers to watch it, even though all their friends did. The show's storyline was a touchy subject in our house because at the time my daughter was friends with a girl who was cutting and threatened suicide. I was very open with my daughter about why I did not want her to see it, and she admitted she could understand my feelings on it.

Here we are a year later - she is no longer friends with that girl (thankfully - that was a whole lot of drama), and just the other night she saw the show on our Netflix page and said, "You know, I don't know why everyone had to see that tv show when it came out. It just seems sad and pointless to me and I have no interest in it."

Old 06-01-2018, 05:43 PM

18 posts, read 12,246 times
I watched season 1 last year with my at the time 11 and 13 year olds. They weren't traumatized and a lot of great conversations came out of watching it together. (such as how confiding in her parents could have helped with a good number of the situations). They also didn't think that it glamorized suicide; in fact quite the opposite. When the show ended they both thought her death was such a waste, that everyone else got to go on living life and she was just dead forever. Some revenge.

I think it's just a matter of knowing your kid, their maturity level and what they can handle

Old 06-02-2018, 06:01 PM

11,000 posts, read 3,857,514 times
My kids girls are 12 &10 and I've never heard of it!

Old 06-02-2018, 06:06 PM

955 posts, read 471,429 times
I watched it. My feelings were different than the expert opinions, but I do respect the expert opinions and have chosen against having my teen watch it. Maybe later, but he's a young teen. I personally felt like it portrayed suicide as traumatizing to survivors and felt that the message was strong about how your actions and words can negatively affect other people. It could make for some worthwhile conversations. But experts do disagree with me so...he hasn't watched, but he's still into superhero shows and sports. It did make me have more conversations with him about his words and actions and thinking about other people before he speaks. He's been a nice kid so far, but we've encountered some bullies, so we talked about that too.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:00 AM

3,893 posts, read 2,357,449 times
My kids are young but it still seems a bit naive for parents of teens to forbid them from watching it. I'd rather watch it with my teens than have them watch it behind my back and be afraid of having a conversation about it because they would out themselves for having watched it.

Even if it's not forbidden it seems naive to think your kid hasn't seen it or doesn't intend to. Or at the very least heard extensively about it.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 PM

1,255 posts, read 697,421 times
i have decided not to watch season 2, especially from what I've read! There is a certain scene that i have read about that I don't need to see. A very violent scene. i just don't find the show fun to watch, as I have found most teen shows. Not even entertaining, just sad and violent and depressing.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 PM

3,061 posts, read 1,834,139 times
I read the book a few years back for a book club and was underwhelmed. This series received a great deal of attention, and I do think it would likely be something that a parent should watch with a teen if s/he wanted to watch it. I have a 13 year old and he had zero interest in watching it.

I, too, love teen shows. Back in the day, I loved 90210. My husband and I tuned in for a while to Riverdale, which was a teen show based on the Archie comics characters. I'm pretty liberal and I let my kids watch a lot of stuff, and I'm not bent out of shape if they see things with sexual themes (although I don't like overly violent things, but my kids seem to understand that the violence is bad). But I was taken aback by Riverdale. I couldn't believe how sexual it was and how often these high school students were having sex, and were involved with murders. The biggest problem, though, was that the storylines got more and more ludicrous and eventually I gave up.

I would have been interested in a teen-based show or series, even a limited run one. But since I thought the 13 Reasons book was only okay and the show got middling reviews, I didn't bother. I read a review of the second season that was even worse. Apparently the entire season is pointless.

I do wish they could make a decent teen series with just your regular teen angst.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 AM

7,172 posts, read 4,568,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browny014 View Post
I watched season 1 last year with my at the time 11 and 13 year olds. They weren't traumatized and a lot of great conversations came out of watching it together. (such as how confiding in her parents could have helped with a good number of the situations). They also didn't think that it glamorized suicide; in fact quite the opposite. When the show ended they both thought her death was such a waste, that everyone else got to go on living life and she was just dead forever. Some revenge.

I think it's just a matter of knowing your kid, their maturity level and what they can handle
This. Our oldest watched it with us. We actually had many lengthy and frank discussions about middle/high school social dynamics, mental illness, bullying, open communication, trust, friendship, otherness, sexual assault, support systems, various behaviors and actions, going along to get along, etc. There wasn't an episode that we didn't pause multiple times to discuss various themes and contexts. My husband and I watched the more graphic and traumatic episodes before watching it with our oldest. Definitely don't think it glamorized suicide.

We have watched S2 yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or