U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:48 PM

366 posts, read 428,764 times

Advertisements

its unwatachable, shame on netflix..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM

25,899 posts, read 41,852,217 times
I just can't believe the negative posts here. This is a great show that touches on some very current topics. Whether we like it or not, our world is no loner like the days of 90210 or Archie and Jughead from the comments. To be honest, they never were. This show is a bit dramatic and goes a bit far in some scenes (actually only one or two) but it can be used as a tool to have an open and frank discussion.

As a parent, I never understood why some parent try to hide things from their kids. They are just going to find these things on their own and then sneak around behind your back. Is that what you really want? While we never encouraged our kids to watch inappropriate things, we were a lot more progressive than many parents we know. We just made sure that they understood what was going on and why some people find it objectionable. Our kids are all the better for this, since they are growing up to be respectful, decent, hard-working people that we are very proud of. Maybe if more parents followed that, the world would be a little better place. Jay

Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 PM

1,255 posts, read 697,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I just can't believe the negative posts here. This is a great show that touches on some very current topics. Whether we like it or not, our world is no loner like the days of 90210 or Archie and Jughead from the comments. To be honest, they never were. This show is a bit dramatic and goes a bit far in some scenes (actually only one or two) but it can be used as a tool to have an open and frank discussion.

As a parent, I never understood why some parent try to hide things from their kids. They are just going to find these things on their own and then sneak around behind your back. Is that what you really want? While we never encouraged our kids to watch inappropriate things, we were a lot more progressive than many parents we know. We just made sure that they understood what was going on and why some people find it objectionable. Our kids are all the better for this, since they are growing up to be respectful, decent, hard-working people that we are very proud of. Maybe if more parents followed that, the world would be a little better place. Jay
my whole thing is that its just a depressing show that makes suicide look like revenge... the show isn't fun or even entertaining. Just depressing. and theres no point in watching it just to "look for signs of depression and suicide" bc there are better shows that teach you how to do that.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 AM

1,520 posts, read 377,602 times
I apologize for reviving this thread but the crazy guys of the Daily Stormer posted a rant about 13 Reasons Why. Couldn't they use something else to blame? That's became cliché. I link it from a copy archived on the Wayback Machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190430...3-reasons-why/

Better skip directly to the Associated Press article they mentionned.
https://apnews.com/670b1bdc417049debfc0e99be2921dfe

Old 04-30-2019, 04:58 PM

1,520 posts, read 377,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
I apologize for reviving this thread but the crazy guys of the Daily Stormer posted a rant about 13 Reasons Why. Couldn't they use something else to blame? That's became cliché. I link it from a copy archived on the Wayback Machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190430...3-reasons-why/

Better skip directly to the Associated Press article they mentionned.
https://apnews.com/670b1bdc417049debfc0e99be2921dfe
Sorry for the bump, I wanted to edit my previous message but looks like I was too late. Vlogger Timcast posted a vlog about the rise of suicide rate and "13 Reasons Why".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk5lt_ej7sU

Old 04-30-2019, 08:24 PM

751 posts, read 302,893 times
I tried watching a few episodes and was enraged.

A child blames her murdering herself on other people whom she felt, at some point, had slighted her. Nasty girl. I saw this fictional character as an entitled brat elaborately planned a mind-****ing revenge on her mental hate list. The only accidental kindness she brought to the world was her choice to no longer be a part of it.

And then I told our children so. It was so lauded at first but is an astounding piece of entitled/manipulative garbage that I'm not sure how it ever made it to production.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:04 PM

811 posts, read 237,533 times
Study: Teen suicide rate spiked in month after ’13 Reasons Why’s’ release

A new study found that an increase in suicide rates among U.S. boys age 10-17 in April 2017 correlates with the release of Netflix’s “13 Reasons Why” in 2017. The show depicts a teenage girl’s suicide following the recovery of a box of cassette tapes she left behind detailing the 13 reasons why she decided to kill herself.

The study was published Monday in the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and funded by the National Institute of Health. It found that 195 more suicides than expected occurred in the nine months after the March 31, 2017, release. And in the month of April, 2017, more suicides occurred than in any April of the previous nine years. Although the show focuses on the suicide of a teenage girl, teenage boys represent the only demographic with a significant spike in suicide rates. Suicides among teenage boys jumped 28.9% in the month following the release.

The show’s depiction of teen suicide has caused controversy since its release.

The Nation Association of School Psychologists issued a warning statement: “We do not recommend that vulnerable youth, especially those who have any degree of suicidal ideation, watch this series. Its powerful storytelling may lead impressionable viewers to romanticize the choices made by the characters and/or develop revenge fantasies. They may easily identify with the experiences portrayed and recognize both the intentional and unintentional effects on the central character.”

The study does not claim a causal relationship between watching the show and committing suicide. It does, however, control for seasonal and other factors that could influence suicide rates. The study concludes that the show is associated with a surge in teen suicide and cautions children and adolescents from viewing the series.

Netflix said in a statement Tuesday, “This is a critically important topic and we have worked hard to ensure that we handle this sensitive issue responsibly.”

“The results of this study should raise awareness that young people are particularly vulnerable to the media,” study co-author Lisa Horowitz, a staff scientist at the National Institute of Mental Health, said in a statement. “All disciplines, including the media, need to take good care to be constructive and thoughtful about topics that intersect with public health crises.”

Two seasons of “13 Reasons Why” are currently available for streaming. Season 3 is slated to come to Netflix later this year.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 AM

2,815 posts, read 1,494,439 times
If my daughter wants to watch something, we do a little research to get an idea of what themes or ideas are focused on. Then we talk about that subject and if it is something she is curious about there will be more discussion before she actually starts watching it.

The reason for this is that so many shows have dysfunctional relationships so we outline clearly our perceptions about certain attitudes and behavior, then allow her to give us her input. If she is not picking up on the destructive behavior in the first show, even if at the end the person learns their lesson, we tell her she is not ready to watch it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or