Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:45 PM

181 posts, read 444,972 times

Advertisements

This can't be normal can it? Has anyone seen a situation like this?

I just found out today that my brother and his wife are pregnant with their second kid...they just hit the 12 week mark and the baby will be due early December. They have another kid who is 3. My wife and I have a son that is 15 months and are also expecting a second baby around early December.

My wife hates my brother's wife and thinks my parents favor her/them much more over us....that's probably because my niece gets to see my parents all the time and with my kid, my wife puts moratoriums on when my parents can visit our son..like every 2 weeks or so. To add insult to injury, my wife also dislikes my niece because she came from my sister in law.

Needless to say my wife is not only pissed they are having a second kid at all, but also that he/she will be born around the same time as our second one. She had a cute idea to announce to my family on father's day, but now she just wants me to text them or call them...not even tell them in person ! (They live 15 minutes away). She thinks now that our second kid will be irrelevant beause my brother's second kid will be the hot topic of the year from my parents' perspective.

So I ask - this isn't normal is it? Has anyone else had any family drama where kids from the same general family are born around the week? I try to tell her "just focus on our two kids", but I have the feeling I'm going to be the target of her envy and disappointment for a long time...as if I can control when other people decide to have babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 04:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
I think your wife is not normal.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:52 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Your wife needs help and if she won’t go, you need to talk to a family therapist on how to deal with your wife’s toxic attitude. This is deeper than just the coincidencental dates of birth.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:13 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I think it is normal to feel a little bit like the wind was taken out of your sails when a close family member has an important event very close to yours. I have never felt that way but I have heard it a lot.

But the behavior of your wife and the extent she is taking it...that is way over board.

It isn't like you and your brother secretly planned to get your wives knocked up at the same time to take away her attention.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
You’re cool with her putting those limits and acting like that? Why do you allow her to treat your family like that?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:24 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
Your wife...yeah.

Here's what could happen in a better reality: Your future baby gets a cousin that is like a bonus twin/sibling.

Here's what will happen: Your wife's attitude just poisons everything.

Have fun with that.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:25 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Your wife should probably get some counseling.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
No, it's not normal.

Due dates are also an estimate and babies aren't born on the exact due date. If either woman has any sort of pregnancy complications, she could end up delivering a couple weeks before the other.

What is your wife's family like? Does she have a toxic relationship with them also, or a sibling she's very competitive with? My sister has always been extremely competitive with me, probably because she's a narcissist, and she can't turn off that urge to be the center of attention and one-up everyone around her constantly. It has strained her relationship with her sister in law, who's not used to dealing with such a judgmental and competitive relative.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Dude, your wife.... well, I'll just let The Mask say it for me.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Your wife needs help, & why DO you let her put moratoriums on your parents visits?

I have two nephews, (brothers) whos wives had babies two weeks apart, they were delighted, because it meant they could grow up together & go to school together etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting