Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
Well, we've finally arrived. A post about children's cartoons being inappropriate for....wait for it....children.
Popeye was the worst. Three was a rape scene in every single episode.

Next came Pepe LePeu. Rape scene in every episode of that one too.

Amazing that we thought that was appropriate for children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 02:52 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I grew up on the Three Stooges, Tom and Jerry, and Loony Toons. We never gave this slapstick stuff a second thought. Are we protecting our kids TOO much these days, making them more sensitive, by totally blocking them from anything "unpleasant"?

Jeez, they're only CARTOONS!!!
I also grew up on these cartoons and it didn't make me a crazy person. LOL! My kids have watched them a few times and didn't care for them; however, these days they watch Sponge Bob Square Pants which IMHO is just as bad! I don't ban them from TV ( I do limit it) because I don't want to shelter them. Instead, a good parent teaches right from wrong and then you won't have problems with the crap on TV.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:58 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Unless you have specific DVDs, you're seeing sanitized versions of the old cartoons today. You still can't get Song of the South on DVD. And Tom and Jerry in particular was a vilely racist cartoon. Who knows if they helped foster racist attitudes in the US.

Tom and Jerry racist? Of course. Warning on Amazon and iTunes is appropriate.

There's a few Bugs Bunny cartoons from the WWII era that.. At best push the line pretty hard. But.. I always look at those as coming from a different time. People evolve, people change. Look at the Einstein letters that hit a few days ago.

Everyone here realizes that they'll probably be hung in effigy in 100 years for their views on something or another that is perfectly normal and acceptable now, right?

How many of you in your 40's now had parents that would have pulled them out of school if someone with HIV were enrolled there? Most of those parents would say NOW that they wouldn't have done that.. But.. I'm betting alot would have at the time.

People change, and entertainment showing some views that are now considered outdated shouldn't be banned or changed due to it.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:33 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Back when TBS or whatever station it was had the June Bugs tv marathons in the 80's, I recorded hours and hours of Bugs Bunny cartoons on video. Still have them and I'm going to get them transferred to DVD as I still like to watch them and remember the "good old days" of cartoons and fun.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

This from the poster who thinks it's perfectly fine to let 5 year old children run around climbing on and breaking property that doesn't belong to them.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:00 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Apparently, your definition of "rape" does not have any comparison to mine. I never saw any sexual intercourse in any episode of those cartoons. Harassment, yes. Kidnapping, yes. Unlawful detention, probably. Actual intercourse, with penetration, no. IMO, no penetration, no rape.
But, you are entitled to your opinion, just as others are entitled to disagree with that opinion!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:25 AM

74 posts, read 24,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington
Jeez, they're only CARTOONS!!!
and they are GOOD cartoons also!!!!

Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
The OP's grandchildren reacted to it that way because they've been shielded from watching those old shows until then.

I watched old cartoons AND the 3 Stooges as far back as my memories goes (3 years old), and I don't recall any child going into the emergency ward from trying too hard to emulate something on TV. We knew it was TV stuff. We enjoyed them and we survived them.

Today I have dvd cartoons of Casper, Heckle 'n' Jeckle, Betty Boop, and a whole bunch of Stooges to keep handy for visiting children, and so far they have enjoyed them.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:59 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
The OP's grandchildren reacted to it that way because they've been shielded from watching those old shows until then.

I watched old cartoons AND the 3 Stooges as far back as my memories goes (3 years old), and I don't recall any child going into the emergency ward from trying too hard to emulate something on TV. We knew it was TV stuff. We enjoyed them and we survived them.

Today I have dvd cartoons of Casper, Heckle 'n' Jeckle, Betty Boop, and a whole bunch of Stooges to keep handy for visiting children, and so far they have enjoyed them.
I watched the Three Stooges on "Popeye Theater" with Sally Starr (a kids' afternoon live show in the 60's out of Philly). Sally Starr (a sexy almost-50-year-old in a spangled cowgirl outfit) made us take a pledge that we wouldn't hit each other like the Three Stooges did. Sally was THE BOMB and we would have jumped off a bridge if she told us to. She also showed Popeye cartoons, of course...the ones made by Kings Syndicate in the early 60's. They WERE and still are funny, even though the animation is sub par from those done in the 40's and 50's. .

My grandsons, as a rule, aren't supposed to watch anything that isn't educational. Even then, TV is absolutely minimal. I babysit them during the week and some afternoons when I need to put my feet up, I'll put something harmless on, like the "Berenstein Bears" or "Franklin" (PBS shows, and the kids have the books, so I figure they must be okay). But I long for something funny that I can stand watching, too.

Easter time, I took oldest grandson to see the "Peter Rabbit" movie. Now, his mother doesn't realize how much violence (the slapstick variety) was in that, or she wouldn't have agreed to let him go. I found it hilarious and was laughing, and he did, too (although I could tell he felt a bit uncomfortable with some of it).

Old 06-24-2018, 02:10 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My grandsons, as a rule, aren't supposed to watch anything that isn't educational. Even then, TV is absolutely minimal.
This reminded me of something I experienced in a toy store one holiday season.

I can't remember what I was buying there but I was waiting in a line, and a behind me was a girl in her 20's with something in her hand. I don't know what was up her orifice that day but she had this stern look on her face and then she went on a tangent about how "so few toys are worthless because they aren't educational", and she said it loud as though it was important for all of us to hear. I bit my tongue but I really want to ask her if she was ever a child, and why every single moment of entertainment has to be educational. Hell, as adults we still want entertainment that is simply FUN.

Strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting