Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
For the same reason Superman would stand there with hands on hips, smirking at the crook emptying his six gun at him, bullets bouncing off his chest...but then duck out of the way when the crook threw the empty gun at him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Urban legend.
Not U L, guido is right. I have all the old Superman episodes(George Reeves). In several of them, that is exactly what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:37 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,318 times
In some of the Superman cartoons, he carries airplanes, rocket ships, picks up glaciers...but then he seems to struggle catching a car that some villian throws at him!

Old 07-25-2018, 07:32 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 22 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,173 times
I once had a co-worker who was just sure Popeye and Bluto were gay lovers, because they went everywhere together!

Though I am straight myself, I think the co-worker could have found better things to worry about.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:25 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,252,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
For the same reason Superman would stand there with hands on hips, smirking at the crook emptying his six gun at him, bullets bouncing off his chest...but then duck out of the way when the crook threw the empty gun at him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Urban legend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Not U L, guido is right. I have all the old Superman episodes(George Reeves). In several of them, that is exactly what happens.
What I remember about that is that if the thrown gun was going to hit him in the chest, Superman would let it hit him in the chest and bounce off, but if was going to hit him in the face, he'd duck. I guess that even invulnerable Superman doesn't care to take a thrown handgun in the face. I can understand that.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:20 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,696 times
My son watches and loves them but he is really good at telling real from fake and always has been. He isn’t one of those children who freaks out about everything either - I think this one may fall to parental discretion. If your child can handle it, let them. If not, don’t.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:43 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My grandsons have just had a little bit of exposure to old Tom and Jerry and Three Stooges. Not by my decision. We had a recent visit from my brothers (the kids' great uncles) who were excited about watching their childhood favorite cartoons and shorts via my son in law's huge flat screen TV. It's almost like watching it in a mini theater. Grandsons TV exposure is minimal, always closely supervised. Mostly we read to them or let them play outside. They never missed TV. They have NEVER seen this stuff before.

Now, thanks to Tom and Jerry, oldest grandson (aged 4 1/2) is fixated about "losing his teeth". Cartoon characters had that happen often, but seeing some poor dog's teeth pop out like popcorn totally freaked him, big time. I have to reassure him that being hit on the head or biting down hard WON'T make that happen. Teeth are fixated deep in his jaw bone to stay put. I showed him pictures as such. They won't fall out. And if it DID happen, we'd rush him to the dentist where the dentist could put them back. He still has baby teeth. I don't want him freaking out about this! I'm hearing at least five times a day, "What happened to the doggy's teeth?" Telling him, it's only a cartoon, doesn't cut it.
That doesn't sound like a frightened child. I think he understood your explanation. It sounds like he enjoyed something about your reaction, may have been extra attention or maybe he just enjoys triggering you. Telling him it's only a cartoon doesn't cut it because that is not the reaction he's trying to manipulate from you.

Yes, many kids are over-protected today.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Now, thanks to Tom and Jerry, oldest grandson (aged 4 1/2) is fixated about "losing his teeth". Cartoon characters had that happen often, but seeing some poor dog's teeth pop out like popcorn totally freaked him, big time. I have to reassure him that being hit on the head or biting down hard WON'T make that happen. Teeth are fixated deep in his jaw bone to stay put. I showed him pictures as such. They won't fall out. And if it DID happen, we'd rush him to the dentist where the dentist could put them back. He still has baby teeth. I don't want him freaking out about this!
Why would you tell a 4 year old that his teeth aren't going to fall out? They're baby teeth, they are going to fall out. And when they do start falling out, no one is going to rush him to the dentist to have his teeth put back in. Even if he had an accident, and knocked a tooth out, the dentist isn't going to put it back in. I see no reason to lie to a kid about this.

I would be so annoyed if my mother or MIL said such a thing to one of my children. What happens when they do lose a tooth? They're going to freak out even more because grandma said it couldn't happen. And then they'll want to go to the dentist, because grandma said... Then I have to explain to my child how grandma is a liar. That's not a conversation I'm interested in having.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
"It's just pretend," would probably have sufficed. He's 4. Tell him cartoons are pretend and then move on to something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting