Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times

Advertisements

Well, we didn't "allow" it, but my daughter cursed a few times at about age 3. If you've ever driven through rush hour traffic during summer construction season around Chicago, you'd understand why she might have heard the "S" word coming out of my mouth.

Generally my children don't swear frequently and rarely in front of us. I probably admonished them as teens, but again I have quite the sailor mouth when driving at times so.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 08:25 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
At no age is it ok for my child to curse around me. And cursing at me, I’d make their head spin.
I agree, and a rather odd question for any parent to ask, but the problem we have today is a society that has slowly eroded the concept of being respectful and decent human beings. Not only are adults and parents these days lacking in being proper role models and setting examples of good behavior, young kids today are bombarded with immorality and indecent behavior from the internet as well as entertainment such as movies and TV. It's absolutely shocking how even some movies marketed towards kids these days have abundant foul language.

So the combination of adults openly swearing and being hostile towards others in front of their kids, combined with all the garbage being marketed towards our youth, and we now have a society that thinks nothing of 4, 5 year old kids swearing like a sailor and thinking it's 'cute.'

The chickens have come home to roost.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Consider adding a poll rather than trying to control the conversation. You'll get cleaner results than trying to decipher and categorize comments.
I wasn't trying to control the convo, as much as discourage people who don't swear from commenting - but I know that is futile.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I wasn't trying to control the convo, as much as discourage people who don't swear from commenting - but I know that is futile.
On-line discussions go where they will; it's a fluid environment, which is why it remains interesting. Why would you want to stifle conversation by putting limits on who posts?

Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
On-line discussions go where they will; it's a fluid environment, which is why it remains interesting. Why would you want to stifle conversation by putting limits on who posts?
I am fine with it going wherever - I was just interested in having my original question answered, but I am over it, so it's a free-for-all and I am fine with it.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
My boys are 19 and 20 now. The 19-year-old is autistic and does not speak much on a regular basis. If he ever comes out with a curse word -- usually when quoting a movie -- he is redirected to a more socially acceptable word every single time.

My 20-year-old chooses not to curse ever. He says he doesn't care if I do (I occasionally utter "light" curses like crap or damn.) as long as it's not directed at him (which is a joke, as I have never and would never curse at my kids). He doesn't curse with his friends either... just his personality.

I told him when he was about 14-15 that I don't' care if he curses and lots of people do, but of course, taught him where it was absolutely verboten. He's a smart kid, and he made up his own mind about it all. My opinion is that appropriate behavior should be taught and shown, but that occasionally cursing when you get hurt or get angry is not going to cause the downfall of society.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:48 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My 12 year old already swears in front of me. She's kind of unstoppable and it's very funny. She knows how to behave in front of people and has good manners when it's important, but at home she makes her true opinions of everything known.
Are you serious!!?? You think a 12 yr old swearing is funny? Wow, good luck with her in a few years if that’s her behavior now and you say she’s unstoppable! I also have s 12yr Old daughter & if she swore I think I’d smack her mouth. Don’t worry, I don’t hit my kids. There’s no need to. They are good and respectful.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
To answer your question-

I curse sometimes and so does my husband. Occasionally something slips in front of the kids (think stubbed toes and football games lol). They are 12 and 14. They don’t curse around us and I can’t imagine they ever will. I guess when they are grown and one drops an F bomb when they slam their finger in a door or something I’ll have to let it slide. Heh.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
My boys are 19 and 20 now. The 19-year-old is autistic and does not speak much on a regular basis. If he ever comes out with a curse word -- usually when quoting a movie -- he is redirected to a more socially acceptable word every single time.

My 20-year-old chooses not to curse ever. He says he doesn't care if I do (I occasionally utter "light" curses like crap or damn.) as long as it's not directed at him (which is a joke, as I have never and would never curse at my kids). He doesn't curse with his friends either... just his personality.

I told him when he was about 14-15 that I don't' care if he curses and lots of people do, but of course, taught him where it was absolutely verboten. He's a smart kid, and he made up his own mind about it all. My opinion is that appropriate behavior should be taught and shown, but that occasionally cursing when you get hurt or get angry is not going to cause the downfall of society.
I like your common sense approach.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:17 PM

I know some parents are not teaching their kids to be respectful in public, because on more than one occasion, I have passed by a group of boys (and it could just as well be girls) and they are throwing F bombs right in front of me. I find this incredibly rude. I can understand if it is a pack mentality that they feel they have to do in private, but when you are out in public, passing people and talking like that, I think it has gone too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting