U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:19 PM

2,932 posts, read 1,029,830 times

Advertisements

Here is a great example of how to raise responsible kids (as opposed to entitled kids).

Today, it is more common for parents to be "assistants" to their kids. I like this method much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kadFwaiF_ms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 05:04 PM

24,473 posts, read 28,761,114 times
You think it's a good idea to let a toddler cook? Let kids be kids. Geez. There's a lot of space between raising entitled kids and treating them like servants.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:26 PM

I personally would not let a toddler cook, but this child seems exceptional, and her mother is sick, but seems to have trained her and is watching her.

Letting "kids be kids" if that means being irresponsible and entitled, I don't think builds character.

This little girl looks very happy and is doing a service for her mom.

And she has very good hand-eye coordination.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:32 PM

24,473 posts, read 28,761,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I personally would not let a toddler cook, but this child seems exceptional, and her mother is sick, but seems to have trained her and is watching her.

Letting "kids be kids" if that means being irresponsible and entitled, I don't think builds character.

This little girl looks very happy and is doing a service for her mom.

And she has very good hand-eye coordination.
It doesn't. That's what I said in my post you responded to.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 07-06-2018 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 PM

15,688 posts, read 8,775,979 times
I remember my kids when they were this age and their joy at being able to do things for themselves. My eldest son loved to sort, load, and start the laundry. My daughter loved to wash dishes standing on a stepstool to reach the sink. And my youngest was master of the vegetable garden, weeding, watering, and picking whatever was ripe to make dinner. It's a sweet time in a young family's life when life is very simple and filled with small but significant milestones in a child's development.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I remember my kids when they were this age and their joy at being able to do things for themselves. My eldest son loved to sort, load, and start the laundry. My daughter loved to wash dishes standing on a stepstool to reach the sink. And my youngest was master of the vegetable garden, weeding, watering, and picking whatever was ripe to make dinner. It's a sweet time in a young family's life when life is very simple and filled with small but significant milestones in a child's development.
I think it is wonderful to accommodate and support kids in learning these tasks and becoming part of the "team."

Old 07-06-2018, 09:38 PM

4,102 posts, read 3,070,689 times
Young children usually love helping out. Mine did! At least until they were 8 or 10 and wanted to do other things instead. I remember my daughter coming into my bedroom one weekend morning at 7:00 am with a plate of fried eggs. She was 7 and I was alarmed that she managed to get up and fry eggs without my husband or me waking up. Now she's 15 and while she will do chores if I tell her to, she doesn't take it upon herself to cook me breakfast in bed, that's for sure.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:30 PM

1,328 posts, read 703,122 times
Omg, that little boy was adorable but should not be responsible for cooking, cleaning, etc.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:03 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,649,847 times
It's a "cute" video, but that first food wasn't hot (thank God) because she handled the bottom of the serving spoon with no troubles. The rice was hot but she was more careful ladling it into the bowls.

As for washing the dishes or the clothes, hmmm??? I wouldn't trust that they are very clean. Not any serious scrubbing involved.

That big pan of water for washing the mother's feet didn't have much water in it, but at the child's small size, I think it would still be heavy and not easy to carry in that position besides being VERY bad for that child's little back.

As I say, it's a "cute" video but what that child is doing is not anything I'd recommend for small children for every day chores. Once in a while if the mother is sick, okay, but sorting socks, putting away utensils, setting utensils and napkins out on a table, and folding a few simple items is great to teach a young child.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:07 AM

511 posts, read 224,220 times
I wouldn't teach a baby that it's OK to play with the stove!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or