Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Agreed. We didn't do any of that. By the time they got old enough to read this stuff, I really discouraged the clothes with the logos festooned on them, e.g. Nike, Adidas, Tommy Hilfiger, etc. I didn't totally disallow it, but we did talk about it.

Never heard that one, and I thought I'd heard them all. (Worked in a pediatric office and we had teens as patients.)

"Juicy" was (is?) a brand name that frequently adorned the rears of sweatpants/loungepants a number of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 03:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
My grandfather called me his princess because he loved me that much.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,068,392 times
I remember my mother calling my lazy, younger sister Miss Priss - "Look Miss Priss, you got seconds to get your A** out the bed before I take some color off ya hide with the belt." Yeah, no princesses were allowed in my mothers house.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:37 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,602 times
It's only a term of endearment and it won't drag them back to the 50s. I called my daughter a princess and she was a tomboy and now a grown educated woman.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
It's silly and I would LIKE to think it is ultimately harmless, but for at least some, it probably isn't.

My ex used to call his step daughter "princess". One day she called me and asked me if I thought he loved her, because despite his propensity for using ridiculous terms of "endearment", he certainly didn't BEHAVE as if he thought she was worth spit.

She seems of at least slightly above average intelligence to me, yet she never did well in school and she ended up working for Hooters for a long time before she finally got a job as a pharmaceutical rep. And we all know what skills pharmaceutical reps need - pretty much the same qualifications as a Hooters girl.

I think she is smart enough to have done many things less dependent on her looks and charm, but since that is all my ex ever praised her for, and since he didn't give half a hoot about her grades, and because his attitude towards her left her so off-balance and insecure that she had to call ME (the ex-wife of her step dad that she had never actually met in person but knew much of due to my son's influence), she ended up relying on the only things he ever praised her for - looks and compliance.

She is a super nice person and, as I said, way smarter than other people, including my son, seem to give her credit for (I have since met her as an adult, I'm no dummy myself, and she certainly seems intelligent to me).

I don't think the use of diminutive terms such as "princess" are a good thing for little kids, especially when you carry through on that front, only praising appearance and "charming" or "cute" behavior, treating a young girl like a baby, etc etc etc, which is what happened to this person who is now a young woman who had a lot of potential to be and do far more. I know when she was in high school, she wanted to be a doctor - but she never achieved the grades, and I do not believe that was because she wasn't capable. It's because she was socialized to think she was a helpless, useless individual whose sole redeeming feature was all about the way she looks.

And yes, her mother had a lot to do with it as well. We're talking someone who is so status-conscious she goes around to every open house in the neighborhood to spy on people so she can make sure she has more-better stuff than they do.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:12 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We never call the new granddaughter that. To me, it conjures up Honey Boo Boo.
Funnily enough, my DILs mother, who I’ve only met once, feels the same way, and so does her old school Spanish grandmother.

My DIL is an educated woman. She makes my son tow the line. We wouldn’t want anything less for their daughter.

The last Princess on the radar, Prince Harry’s wife, was an accomplished person before she met him.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:27 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
The Mighty Queen was never a princess, and neither was her daughter. My daughter is Pumpkinhead.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:39 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Mighty Queen was never a princess, and neither was her daughter. My daughter is Pumpkinhead.
Wouldn't the Queen's daughter be Princess Pumpkinhead?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"Juicy" was (is?) a brand name that frequently adorned the rears of sweatpants/loungepants a number of years ago.
Interesting. I missed that one! Of course, at the office, we didn't use nicknames like that unless the kid requested it. And I never heard that from my girls.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
It's silly and I would LIKE to think it is ultimately harmless, but for at least some, it probably isn't.

My ex used to call his step daughter "princess". One day she called me and asked me if I thought he loved her, because despite his propensity for using ridiculous terms of "endearment", he certainly didn't BEHAVE as if he thought she was worth spit.

She seems of at least slightly above average intelligence to me, yet she never did well in school and she ended up working for Hooters for a long time before she finally got a job as a pharmaceutical rep. And we all know what skills pharmaceutical reps need - pretty much the same qualifications as a Hooters girl.

I think she is smart enough to have done many things less dependent on her looks and charm, but since that is all my ex ever praised her for
, and since he didn't give half a hoot about her grades, and because his attitude towards her left her so off-balance and insecure that she had to call ME (the ex-wife of her step dad that she had never actually met in person but knew much of due to my son's influence), she ended up relying on the only things he ever praised her for - looks and compliance.

She is a super nice person and, as I said, way smarter than other people, including my son, seem to give her credit for (I have since met her as an adult, I'm no dummy myself, and she certainly seems intelligent to me).

I don't think the use of diminutive terms such as "princess" are a good thing for little kids, especially when you carry through on that front, only praising appearance and "charming" or "cute" behavior, treating a young girl like a baby, etc etc etc, which is what happened to this person who is now a young woman who had a lot of potential to be and do far more.

I know when she was in high school, she wanted to be a doctor - but she never achieved the grades, and I do not believe that was because she wasn't capable. It's because she was socialized to think she was a helpless, useless individual whose sole redeeming feature was all about the way she looks.

And yes, her mother had a lot to do with it as well. We're talking someone who is so status-conscious she goes around to every open house in the neighborhood to spy on people so she can make sure she has more-better stuff than they do.
Excellent post. Like many things, if it is used in moderation, calling a girl Princess is fine, IMHO, it is only when young girls are only praised for the good looks and not for other traits or are treated like a princess 100% of the time it can cause problems.

As a retired teacher, I have seen a few spoiled rotten princesses in my day. What is especially concerning are the parents that dress their kindergarten age girls in dress shoes, white tights, and expensive, fancy party dresses every day for school and then tell the teacher and staff that their daughter is not allowed to get dirty, or do art projects, or play outside at recess, or take gym or do other parts of the kindergarten curriculum. Yes, that can be a real problem but it usually gets worked out.

I've even had princesses, when asked to do typical expected school tasks, like pick up the paper/crayon/trash that they dropped/threw on the floor, tell me "My mother told me that princesses NEVER have to do any work. So someone else has to pick it up, like you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting