Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 01:07 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,307 times

Advertisements

My second son is Aiden, so maybe he will always be thought of as some years younger than he really is. When we chose it (we learned it from an elderly Irish couple we knew) it was in the 600+ range of name popularity. I didn't look it up then or anything, just after the fact to see when the popularity grew.

I'm pretty much the ANTI-epitome of trendy, though, so I can't imagine anyone would think I was eager to follow that one -- if they think my son is younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:24 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
We named our two girls after their great-grandmothers. Luckily people had more sense back in the day in regard to naming children. We, or should I say our daughters, lucked out!

Old 07-27-2018, 02:30 PM

675 posts, read 644,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
McKayla
MackKayla
McKeyla

No, no, and no. It reeks of redneck.
Only McKayla I can think of is Maroney, and she was an elite gymnast. Not much of a redneck sport in my mind. YMMV.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:40 PM

675 posts, read 644,320 times
There is a soccer player named McCall. To me, that sounds like a last name.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:32 PM

24,093 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
My second son is Aiden, so maybe he will always be thought of as some years younger than he really is. When we chose it (we learned it from an elderly Irish couple we knew) it was in the 600+ range of name popularity. I didn't look it up then or anything, just after the fact to see when the popularity grew.

I'm pretty much the ANTI-epitome of trendy, though, so I can't imagine anyone would think I was eager to follow that one -- if they think my son is younger.
I love the name Aiden! It isn't faddish at all. In fact, it is the name of a 7th century bishop in Ireland, well known for his kindness and loving nature.

Here are some names that irk me, mostly because they sound cheesy.

Heaven / Nevaeh (Heaven spelled backwards) WHY? If you want a spiritual, Christian name for your daughter, their are so many lovely names to choose from.

The backwards version reminds me of a hand lotion that one of my grandmothers used.

Destiny, Destini, Destinee etc. It just does not sound very upscale. If it the "physician or stripper" test, I'm going to guess that Destiny is a stripper.

Brandi - Brandy - see above.

Names for boys that I do not like include - Tracker, Tripper, Gunner (I know it's a real name, but in English, it sounds like a person who is involved with a mass shooting incident) Trigger, Axel, (sounds like a car part to me), Rod, Brick, Dirk, Jet, Barron, King, Duke or Earl.

I do not like names in the top 25, but, you never know when a real but relatively uncommon name is going to become overly popular.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:57 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love the name Aiden! It isn't faddish at all. In fact, it is the name of a 7th century bishop in Ireland, well known for his kindness and loving nature.
Well...just because a name has an ancient origin doesn't mean it can't be faddish 14 centuries later. You would be hard-pressed to find a US-born Aidan/Aiden before the 1980s. In the early 2010s, if you add those two spellings together, it was a top 10 name. That kind of burst actually does make it extremely faddish/trendy.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:06 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yes, who wouldn't want to name their baby such classics as Amminadab, Jehoshaphat, Habakkuk, Ish-Bosheth, Hashabiah, or Maher-shalal-hash-baz?
For the record I know several Jehosphats, a Habbakuk, too many Ishmaels, Gideon’s, very many Amina’s and Elijah’s and and Esther’s etc...

None of whom are Jewish.

So to answer your question (Who wouldn’t want to name their baby.....) is it depends on where they are, and how much they read/ put stock in the good book.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:15 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
I'd name my kids whatever I wanted, and not worry about the popularity of the name.

I definitely wouldn't choose a name just because it was popular. And I wouldn't make up some weird name that would leave my kid scarred for life.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:27 PM

604 posts, read 855,940 times
My first name is very feminine and very traditional...in northern Europe. In the United States, very few people have heard of it so it routinely gets butchered. I don't especially like my name but I'm used to it and there was never a name that I heard and said "yeah, that's what I should have been named!"

Old 07-27-2018, 06:16 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,854,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
For the record I know several Jehosphats, a Habbakuk, too many Ishmaels, Gideon’s, very many Amina’s and Elijah’s and and Esther’s etc...

None of whom are Jewish.

So to answer your question (Who wouldn’t want to name their baby.....) is it depends on where they are, and how much they read/ put stock in the good book.
Ishmael, Gideon, Esther, and Elijah are all pretty mainstream names, or were at some point. Elijah in particular is common, but the others aren't outlandish in the English speaking world, as they've been popularized by media other than the OT as well, and they have reasonably phonetic spellings.

Where is Amina in the Bible? Isn't it an Arabic name?

I am surprised you know a Habbakuk. Poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting