Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:54 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

People do grow up hearing odd things. Some years ago, my friend's teenage daughter ran away. She was easy to find--she went to NYC (we were in NJ) to the friend's sister's house. It was a tough time for the kid--Mom had married someone and had a new kid where for the first 12 years it was just her and her mother.

But I asked my friend what had come before the daughter left, and she said, "We were having an argument and I told her, 'I wish you were dead'. You know, like a mother always says to her kid."

Um, no, my mother never said, 'I wish you were dead' and no way would I ever say that to my kid. To her, that was just something she had heard from her mother and was repeating to her daughter, but I don't think that's really a common thing for a mother to say to her daughter.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
No. I never told any of my children they were spoiled, because they weren't. I would neve in a million years say "I wish you were dead, or that you were never born".

I made it a point pretty young to never say anything when in any confrontation that I would have to say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that."

Once a child or anyone is cut down with hate words it tends to cling to them, no matter how sorry the sayer says they are.

For myself it is mostly easy to forgive but darn near impossible to forget. Good reason for me to watch what I say in anger to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting