U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 02:22 PM

262 posts, read 135,351 times

Advertisements

In order to tell you are too spoiled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:46 PM

24,473 posts, read 28,761,114 times
No

Old 07-26-2018, 02:57 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,180,980 times
No...?

Old 07-26-2018, 05:13 PM

3,210 posts, read 2,818,634 times
I've never worded it like that. We do use sarcasm a bit. The more flowery and flattering the language, the more they know we are being sarcastic. My kids are spoiled a bit, but not too bad. They are pretty good kids overall.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:16 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times
I was told that but when I got old I found that I needed good tools to do good work

Old 07-26-2018, 05:17 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,029,830 times
What?

No comprende

Old 07-27-2018, 05:20 PM

51,345 posts, read 50,591,986 times
No, never.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:31 PM

2,313 posts, read 4,819,564 times
How does that even make sense?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 PM

5,876 posts, read 7,102,555 times
No, I never said that to them and never would. Some might have thought they were spoiled because we lived in a nice house, and they had nice things. The difference was that they didn't act entitled to it, and we chose to give them those things. We could have given them far more than we ever did.

Certainly they had far more material things than my husband or me, but both of us certainly wanted to provide a better life for our kids with vacations, occasional treats, and generally not worrying about if their parents had enough money to pay the mortgage or buy food.

There were too many times I worried about those things as a kid during recessionary times in the 70's or other times when my father was laid off. My husband also grew up with not a lot. It still affects me to this day. I sure as heck didn't want that for my kids.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:27 PM

262 posts, read 135,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
No, I never said that to them and never would. Some might have thought they were spoiled because we lived in a nice house, and they had nice things. The difference was that they didn't act entitled to it, and we chose to give them those things. We could have given them far more than we ever did.

Certainly they had far more material things than my husband or me, but both of us certainly wanted to provide a better life for our kids with vacations, occasional treats, and generally not worrying about if their parents had enough money to pay the mortgage or buy food.

There were too many times I worried about those things as a kid during recessionary times in the 70's or other times when my father was laid off. My husband also grew up with not a lot. It still affects me to this day. I sure as heck didn't want that for my kids.
My mother have been a peculiar lady. She grew up under communism in poor conditions in a remote village where went to school or to church barefoot. When I moved with her to America, she started using this phrase sometimes when I was acting independently a lot when transitioning from adolescence to adulthood but it was incredibly annoying when she complained about my "Americanization", which by that mean adopting American traits, lifestyle which should be expected especially when you move to a new country. I know I am not the only one who felt who had an overbearing authoritarian parent, but I remember she never took me to a vacation unless it involved a pilgrim trip organized by a priest

I moved to California where I got job. Everytime when she mentions during phone call conversations she wish I have stayed at home in Chicagoland with them and inherit their condo apartment with unpaid mortgage with house value never recovered from 2008 recession in area undesirable to lease out, far from job centers or train station to Chicago downtown, I conclude conversation "I have something to do" and end the call. They are moving back to Poland because they never learned English and they don't feel at home, so yes they wish they said had inherited their debt on top of student loan debt he had to finance himself for college, never mind he has his own goals set where to work and live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or