U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 AM
1 posts, read 282 times
Reputation: 10


Desperately need help
Please. Single mom 21 year old who’s been arrested and awaiting hearing for possession 8 grams of wax. Selling drugs and lies to my face. I don’t know what to do tonget gomntonstop and grow up. He job jumps and says this is why he sells to make money to help out vitnxoesnt give me dime. He pays all his bills. He manipulates me emotionally, lies to my face, says he won’t do it etc. it’s destroying my relationship with boyfriend as he says he’s not living on a drug
Glide. Help me please I don’t k is wjatto do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:56 AM
2,463 posts, read 1,057,569 times
Reputation: 9593
Have you talked to any support groups for parents of addicted adult children? You may be enabling his behaviour.

Perhaps call a crisis hotline for local resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 PM
Location: TX
255 posts, read 70,620 times
Reputation: 607
The number one thing you have to understand is that you CANNOT HELP HIM unless he truly wants to change and get help.
A lot of the time parents enable their children and dont even realize it. You can't forced someone to get or get help. If they dont want it for themselves then they'll never do it.
I suggest distancing yourself ...you should go find a meeting group to share how you feel. Meet others who feel like you.

Trust me, I was an addict for many years and I know i hurt family with the lies and stealing...but it got to such a low place in my life where i threw up my hands and said ok i quit!

So hopefully one day your son will quit...but until then, you need to keep yourself healthy and safe. Google merting groups like Al Anon in your area. Maybe even go to an AA meeting just so you can hear other addicts so you can learn to undsrstsnd what they are going through too. He needs to understand why he is acting this way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Location: Bloomington IN
5,876 posts, read 7,102,555 times
Reputation: 14122
Look for a Nar-Anon or Al Anon meeting near you. Start going. He has to want to change. You can't make him do it.

Meeting with others that have an addicted family member can help.

You might also check out this site: https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline

They maybe able to give you some direction for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top