Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 01:45 AM

15,397 posts, read 7,454,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
https://www.nvic.org/

Great and VERY useful website. I use it to educate people when they are told they are REQUIRED to get their children vaccinated when that's NOT the case. In fact went today to get the form to exempt my youngest from vaccines because new school year is starting. We did not vaccinate and have NEVER had a problem and have had VERY healthy children...healthier than I ever was as a kid...no way I am pumping my kids full of those chemicals. To each their own I can only educate people...
Keep in mind that tetanus immunity doesn't occur naturally, only through vaccination, once maternal protection wanes WHO | Tetanus

Old 08-05-2018, 03:22 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,724,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The definition has been expanded. The incidence of autism is the same in the vaccinated and unvaccinated.
I dont believe that. not for one second....

my own youngest son took very bad tics in his body and face after his first injections at school.. this was 36 years ago and I made no connection at the time, it was an Indian doctor at the school who told me that my son would get no more vaccinations at primary school and he didnt.... his tics lasted over six months, so bad he was kicking out his leg and arm involuntary and teachers were asking me what was wrong with him..... thankfully the tics went away on their own. but hell knows what help he d have got if they hadnt.... my heart was breaking watching him as it didnt stop till he went to sleep...

Vaccinated boys were 155% more likely to have a neurological disorder (RR 2.55)
- Vaccinated boys were 224% more likely to have ADHD (RR 3.24)
- Vaccinated boys were 61% more likely to have autism (RR 1.61) https://www.fourteenstudies.org/ourstudies.html

Last edited by dizzybint; 08-05-2018 at 03:31 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 05:10 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,916,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Are you a mom, Jay? Because I think you’re seriously underestimating the bond and the mother child relationship.
Look. It's a mom who wants to play the "I'm a mom and you're just a dad" card in a parenting forum. Maybe you have some magical super-connection with your kids, but my kids are just as close to me as they are to their mom.

And it's clear that you didn't understand my point at all. The closer the connection the less reliable the inference. Are you a scientist? Do you have formal training in how to do science? Any good experimental scientific training will emphasize how important it is to constantly question your assumptions and conclusions. I'm a physicist, which is orders of magnitude easier to control than medicine, and even I have to work really hard to make sure I'm not fooling myself. And sometimes, I still do. I will observe something in my experiments and make a judgement about what I think might be causing. I have the luxury of being able to repeat experiments hundred or thousands of times and can make a changes to a single parameter. Sometimes my intuition is right, but sometimes it is absolutely wrong. I would never know without being honest and trying to poke holes in my reasoning and observation. And when I publish, some distant anonymous reviewers do the same thing. It is a brutal process, but it has to be, because people are easily fooled, especially by themselves.

Medicine does not have that luxury, so they have to be even more diligent. I understand mothers are very good at noticing what happens to their children and how their children are behaving. They see two things happen at about the same time and assign the earlier one to be the cause and the latter one to be the effect. This is something we all do. It is human nature. It takes training to not do it, really. Scientists, even mom scientists, know better than to believe their unscientific, uncontrolled observations over well-controlled clinical trials.

It isn't natural to believe someone else and be skeptical of yourself, but it has proved effective. Scientific medicine isn't perfect (and doesn't claim to be), but it is an improvement over unscientific medicine. Just look at infant and maternal mortality rates before and after science.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:11 AM

8,265 posts, read 8,639,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont believe that. not for one second....

my own youngest son took very bad tics in his body and face after his first injections at school.. this was 36 years ago and I made no connection at the time, it was an Indian doctor at the school who told me that my son would get no more vaccinations at primary school and he didnt.... his tics lasted over six months, so bad he was kicking out his leg and arm involuntary and teachers were asking me what was wrong with him..... thankfully the tics went away on their own. but hell knows what help he d have got if they hadnt.... my heart was breaking watching him as it didnt stop till he went to sleep...

Vaccinated boys were 155% more likely to have a neurological disorder (RR 2.55)
- Vaccinated boys were 224% more likely to have ADHD (RR 3.24)
- Vaccinated boys were 61% more likely to have autism (RR 1.61) https://www.fourteenstudies.org/ourstudies.html
That the doctor was an Indian means what?

Your link is Jenny McCarthy's organization.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,179,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Are you a mom, Jay? Because I think you’re seriously underestimating the bond and the mother child relationship.
I am a mother. Nothing about our bond provides me magical insight into the biology and genetics of my child. In fact, we still go to the doctor.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That the doctor was an Indian means what?

Your link is Jenny McCarthy's organization.
Why are you quizzing me over saying Indian doctor.. he was a good doctor , I dont know what you mean... why didnt you ask something about my sons tics .. other peoples views. https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Pediat...es/show/359954

Old 08-05-2018, 06:44 AM

219 posts, read 157,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
And the virus has been destroyed except nigeria and one location in Middle East. Woopdie do
You must be very young--young enough to not know anyone who had/has first-hand experiences with what life was like before vaccinations to have such a blasé attitude about polio.

My boyfriend's mother (born in 1950) had polio as a child and suffered the aftereffects (post-polio syndrome) for the rest of her life. My childhood neighbors well remember mothers who had children who were born either dead or severely disabled due to German measles (Rubella). Diphtheria routinely killed children (and adults) before widespread vaccination programs. Boys sometimes became sterile due to a bout with mumps. Quarantines of homes by local health authorities were very real. I could go on, but my point it that your opinions and thoughts about vaccinations come from a point of extreme privilege in terms of not personally knowing those who knew life prior to modern vaccination programs.

*I work with people from Nigeria, by the way. The world is a very small place, so thinking that distance can protect you from disease is foolhardy at best. Also, see: the 1918 Influenza epidemic. That illness spread like wildfire even before people traveled about the world with the rate and speed as we now do so casually. (My great-grandmother was a victim of the 1918 epidemic; she'd never traveled more than a hundred miles from her home in rural upstate N.Y. before she died at the age of 22.)

Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,726,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am a mother. Nothing about our bond provides me magical insight into the biology and genetics of my child. In fact, we still go to the doctor.
So you never noticed when something was a little off with your babies and toddlers? You couldn’t trust your instincts or intuition as a mom because you’re not a scientist? Science actually does have some interesting things to say about the mother child bond. And oh, wow! What a coincidence, we also go to the doctor.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:02 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,078,717 times
Let's not forget that we are going to all die one day, before we lose our minds over this topic.

Some people get really offensive and demeaning when discussing this obviously hot topic that always makes it way back round to the flu vaccine for some reason.

Acting like a jerk to someone may be how the person trying teach someone is best able to get a point across to themselves, but it will push people away from you when they are not agreeing with you in the first place.

If I had a child today (which I don't) I would want them to have the long time basic vaccines - Chicken Pox, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio, DTT (and maybe some more that are escaping me right now).

I would be skeptical about the flu vaccine - mainly because they hardly ever hit on the proper strain for a given year anyway, and I don't think never letting my child's immunity work things out for itself is a great idea.

In 1918 aspirin was a brand new invention - a technological advancement, so not many people would be aware of it, what it is commonly used for and where to get it. Oranges were an expensive and special treat that had to be brought to you by train and horse & wagon from California or Florida. So again, for all but the wealthy of society, vitamin C? What's that? These fruits were so special that I remember my grandmother (C.1912) stuffing Christmas stockings with Oranges and Tangerines and a variety of nuts and hard candies. She was from a poor family, and I can see an orange being reserved as a Christmas splurge when she was a child.

We have those things now available to the poorest of the poor in the US, along with vitamin D, and any number of things that build immunity and fight infection.

Its one thing if I know my child is not generally in a good state of health and refuse to vaccinate them from the flu, pneumonia, etc. That would be a mistake. At the same time, I think I would want my child to exercise its immune system naturally.

This is my opinion about MY child, if I had one. I think any parent should have the last word on what is right for their child. If they fail, they have no one to blame but themselves, afterall.

As for autism, it does seem something about certain combinations of vaccines help bring that condition out - since the condition becomes apparent shortly after vaccination in many cases, but does not cause autism. I have read where autism comes from the father's genes and seems to have a connection to his age at time of conception.

I ultimately would hope this drive to shove vaccines down parents throats doesn't turn them off to vaccination completely. I am old enough to remember Polio and the 'lucky' victims hobbling around with leg braces. I remember films of iron lungs. Let's keep the iron lung archaic in the US please.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 08-05-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 AM

Just a pity there isnt a small test that could identify children susceptible to vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.