Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 02:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Gotcha! The CDC does recommend Shingrix over Zostavax, so that's probably what your insurance will pay for. There is a shortage of Shingrix right now, although out here in fly-over country, my husband went to the doctor last week for his physical and came back having been vaccinated w/Shingrix. CDC does say it's OK to use Zostavax in people over 60 if Shingrix is not available.

I think Wakefield still lives in Austin, just not directing that autism center any more. Does anyone know, has he become a US citizen, since nana says he's involved in Republican politics?
His wife and kids are US citizens, but I don't know about him. He is now dating Elle McPherson though, so I guess his wife is soon to be and ex-wife. They are not divorced yet.

As for his involvement in Republican politics: he was at Trump's inauguration and he speaks at various venues.

Disgraced anti-vaxxer Andrew Wakefield aims to advance his agenda in Texas election | Health Information For All (HIFA.ORG)

Quote:
Wakefield sees the upcoming Republican primary in Houston on 6 March as an “an extremely important time” to advance his anti-vaccine agenda. Anti-vaccine campaigners in the state’s biggest city are door-knocking, fundraising and Facebook-ing in hopes they can replace a moderate Republican with a conservative challenger...

Old 08-09-2018, 02:17 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Are you concerned that your child will catch Hep B in school from an unvaccinated child for instance? It’s on the list. Should parents be able to opt out?
You think Hep B cannot be transmitted in schools? Think again.

PKIDs | Children and Hepatitis B Transmission

Hepatitis B Foundation: Hepatitis B and School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So keeping these unvaccinated kids out of school solves the problem? How? They never go out and about in society around other children? You think they will be imprisoned in their own homes for the rest of their lives? You will never know who is and isn't vaccinated.

I know certain posters consider my stories irrelevant but I did work in school with an unvaccinated child. Religious Exemption. He also had an unvaccinated older sister. His parents took them everywhere; Disney World, Busch Gardens, etc. Not around other children? Their wealthy parents took them several times a year to Europe as well. Are US citizens, children or adults, mandated to show their vaccination records entering the US? Provide me the link which mandates this, or the "proposed legislation".

This boy's older sister would now be an unvaccinated young adult in her 20's. Homeschool her? I am with the other posters who believe in choice. I guess I did not see enough of the horror's of my own childhood to become so terrified of these childhood diseases back in the 50's and 60's. "Hiding in the herd of the vaccinated", as one nameless poster has said.
The issue with schools is that children are together in close quarters for several hours per day. That makes transmission of vaccine-preventable diseases easier.

No, unfortunately, there are no laws that prevent unvaccinated people from entering the US. That is how measles outbreaks start here.

Your anecdote does not prove anything except that an unvaccinated family took advantage of herd immunity and did not get sick. You are part of that herd whether you want to be or not.

Apparently, you were unaware of the complications that can happen with vaccine-preventable diseases. That does not mean they did not happen.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Remember when that lady was upset because she found blood in her drink at Starbuck’s? She didn’t notice it until after she consumed the beverage. She likely ingested some of the barista’s blood. You argued that there was no risk to her of contracting Hep B in that instance and that there was no reason for her even to get tested. Hep B is not something that is easy to get via casual contact. A child getting it from another child at school is extremely unlikely. It’s most often spread via birth from an infected mother, sharing needles, unprotected sex.

If a parent can’t feel safe sending their vaccinated child to school knowing that anywhere from 5% to 10% of their classmates have an exemption from the Hep B vaccine then maybe they are the ones who need to make other education arrangements because that is truly an unreasonable fear. They might also want to consider counseling to help deal with their anxiety.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
What are you even talking about?
You're the one who brought up religion first. Religion is a human construct that tried to explain the world. We are past this. We actually understand science, and the science is clear... vaccines work and do not cause autism. I don't care what Jenny McCarthy says.

You do not have the right to endanger other children by not vaccinating your children. In fact, you don't have the moral right not to vaccinate your children. If you choose not to, you are being harmful to them and society.

End of story. I don't give a flying fig about "rights" in this regards.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:30 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Don’t assume that I’m ignorant or stupid because I believe in choice.
It's pretty clear you didn't understand it or chose to ignore it.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You're the one who brought up religion first. Religion is a human construct that tried to explain the world. We are past this. We actually understand science, and the science is clear... vaccines work and do not cause autism. I don't care what Jenny McCarthy says.

You do not have the right to endanger other children by not vaccinating your children. In fact, you don't have the moral right not to vaccinate your children. If you choose not to, you are being harmful to them and society.

End of story. I don't give a flying fig about "rights" in this regards.
I brought up religion because many states, including your own allow parents to exempt their children from the immunization requirement based upon religious reasons. Your opinion about what religion is or is not is just that and I don’t see how it fits in this conversation. Who is “we”??? I also don’t care what Jenny McCarthy says, not sure why that was brought up either.

Since personal, religious and medical exemptions are allowed in my state, I actually do have the right to make choices about which vaccines to get, or not get whether you think it’s true or not.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:52 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Remember when that lady was upset because she found blood in her drink at Starbuck’s? She didn’t notice it until after she consumed the beverage. She likely ingested some of the barista’s blood. You argued that there was no risk to her of contracting Hep B in that instance and that there was no reason for her even to get tested. Hep B is not something that is easy to get via casual contact. A child getting it from another child at school is extremely unlikely. It’s most often spread via birth from an infected mother, sharing needles, unprotected sex.

If a parent can’t feel safe sending their vaccinated child to school knowing that anywhere from 5% to 10% of their classmates have an exemption from the Hep B vaccine then maybe they are the ones who need to make other education arrangements because that is truly an unreasonable fear. They might also want to consider counseling to help deal with their anxiety.
What I don't have is any idea what parents might choose to apply their religious exemption to nor do I want to examine their rationale for each and every one that they choose to ignore.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What I don't have is any idea what parents might choose to apply their religious exemption to nor do I want to examine their rationale for each and every one that they choose to ignore.
So are you against religious exemptions or do you just not understand why anyone would have a religious reason to not vaccinate?

Are you worried that your child might contract hep B from an unvaccinated child in the classroom? I’m only asking since your post was in response to my post about Hep B.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Your link also notes that all states allow for medical exemptions, although I think the criteria is far too strict as it would not have exempted Cochristi’s babies from exemptions even after one of them died post vaccination nor would have it allowed Kara to have exempted her daughter from vaccines. Most states offer religious exemptions and many offer personal exemptions. Your link also notes differences in vaccines in regards to mandates and notes that while Virginia and DC added Gardisal to their list of mandates, they allow parents to exempt their children for any reason at all from this particular vaccine because of the nature of the illness (not contagious at school or through causal contact) the vaccine, etc.

The truth of the matter and the original point and reason why this was even brought up is that legislators are the ones who initiate changes to the laws in regards to allowable exemptions. Generally speaking, Republican legislators tend to uphold exemptions and parents right to choose while democrats generally favor doing away with exemptions or at the very least, stricter guidelines. I would not consider myself to be a Republican but I would vote for a Republican candidate who was in favor of choice aka exemptions vs a Democrat who was not.

Wakefield supported a Republican candidate who favored exemptions over one who did not. That’s the extent of his involvement in Republican politics, so it seems.

Can’t get this link to open. Here’s another point of view on this from the other side and from a human right’s perspective. https://www.nvic.org/nvic-vaccine-ne...ic-legacy.aspx

I will always favor choice, not force. And force is exactly what you and Suzy and others are proposing and in favor of.
I nor any other pro-vax person is opposed to medical exemptions. However, they have to be true exemptions. What peer-reviewed scientific evidence do you have that says the criteria for medical exemptions is too strict>

I could not be more sympathetic to coschristi's loss, but unless you all are DMing each other these kids' medical records, you don't really know what happened in that situation, what the doctors and others said and why, ditto with Kara.

Many Republicans support vaccines and some Dems oppose them. Think RFK, Jr.
https://www.businessinsider.com/sena...ination-2017-1

What candidate did Wakefield support? Politics makes strange bedfellows. Gary Johnson, the Libertarian nomineed for POTUS in 2016, supports mandatory vaccination.
In Reversal, Gov. Gary Johnson Now Supports Mandatory Vaccination | Vermont Public Radio

Sorry my link wouldn't open. It worked just fine when I posted it, but I can't get it to open, either now.

I have never proposed force (nor has suzy IIRC) and I really resent you lying about my position. Lying as in knowingly misrepresenting the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Lots of good advice in the link below for those who think vaccines are safe. Do not poison your children.

https://imgur.com/r/vaxxhappened/zfTi0W0
OMG! A link recommending Vitamin C and essential oils for a kid whose mom admits she's been in and out of the hospital every 3-6 months with pertussis and "humonia" (pneumonia?). People encouraging this mom not to vaccinate for flu.

Quote:
There are many ways to keep one’s kids healthy. Vaccinating is not the only way. You’re really reaching in major ways with this post.
The only way to get antibodies to any vaccine-preventable disease is to either get the vaccine or get the disease. There is none other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
His wife and kids are US citizens, but I don't know about him. He is now dating Elle McPherson though, so I guess his wife is soon to be and ex-wife. They are not divorced yet.

As for his involvement in Republican politics: he was at Trump's inauguration and he speaks at various venues.

Disgraced anti-vaxxer Andrew Wakefield aims to advance his agenda in Texas election | Health Information For All (HIFA.ORG)
OK, I read that link. It does reference the upcoming (now passed) Republican primary, but I do wish to point out that anti-vaxism spans the political spectrum. There is no better example than RFK, Jr, also Jill Stein, though I think she was just pandering.

Quote:

You can't extrapolate one situation to another. I don't remember the details of that Starbuck situation. suzy generally knows her stuff.

The nerve of you to recommend counseling for people you've never met!

Old 08-09-2018, 05:30 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The issue with schools is that children are together in close quarters for several hours per day. That makes transmission of vaccine-preventable diseases easier.

No, unfortunately, there are no laws that prevent unvaccinated people from entering the US. That is how measles outbreaks start here.

Your anecdote does not prove anything except that an unvaccinated family took advantage of herd immunity and did not get sick. You are part of that herd whether you want to be or not.

Apparently, you were unaware of the complications that can happen with vaccine-preventable diseases. That does not mean they did not happen.
Yes, Suzy, I am part of the "herd" by natural immunity having had all those childhood diseases which I cannot catch AGAIN. So you think the vaccinated "herd" are protecting we elderly from measles, mumps, etc????? When I had my first daughter in 1979, my OB did a blood test for Rubella. Never vaccinated for that, but it showed I still had antibodies from having the disease itself when I was a young child. I am sure my generation can say the same.

I trained many years ago as a Nursing Assistant. Passed all the tests. When I went back to work when my children were older, I went to work with adults with Developmental Disabilities, which is considered Health Care Staff. Every single year of employment we had to take the very same Blood Borne Pathogens and Universal Precautions testing. Hep. B, and AIDS, is part of that Blood Borne Pathogens course and testing. Please do not attempt to tell me otherwise. No child breathing on another child is going to catch Hep. B, or AIDS. It is only transmittable through transfer of blood or sex. We had to take those same courses and testing in Public Schools working with disabled kids. I could have written the questions let alone the answers. How many times have you taken these courses as an Office Manager? How many times have you had to change bloody menstrual diapers of teens and adult women?

When I worked in Public Schools, we Special Ed Teachers and TA's had to take those same courses. All of us were "recommended" to get that Hep. B vax, but could opt out. We were told it was a precaution for STAFF. OSHA allows an Opt Out.

So you parents of school children are you terrified that their Teachers, Aides, Lunch Ladies, and Custodians are not vaccinated for Hep. B? Irrelevant. Suzy? That is a fact. The only requirement for Public School Staff is a Drug and TB test. Tell me, I am wrong about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting