Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 03:37 PM

550 posts, read 637,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Diseases which are preventable by vaccination not only kill, they cause serious and permanent side effects. Several years ago, a girl at my daughter's high school contracted meningitis and almost died. The doctors managed to save her life, but the high fever and seizures caused so much brain damage that she is severely disabled and will never walk or talk again.

Not long after that, our pediatrician mentioned that my daughter was now old enough for the meningitis vaccine, and I couldn't sign her up fast enough.
Yup. Nothing to mess around with. We lost 1 or 2 kids every year I was in high school which was in the '80's. I went to a small private school where each graduating class was no bigger than 75 or 80 kids. That's an emotionally devastating number of kids to lose over such a short period of time in such a small, close-knit school. We were all terrified of contracting the "Junior/Senior Curse" as it became to be known.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
It is exactly this type of post that leads me to be very weary of vaccines. Someone in favor of vaccines should have no problem whatsoever with those that don't vaccinate. If the vaccines really work, the vaccinated have nothing to worry about.

Your reasoning on the flu vaccine is faulty as well. But I am sorry about your friend.
YOU CANNOT VACCINATE A 2 MONTH OLD BABY FROM CHICKEN POX!

So when the big sisters come home from Elementary school and Middle school, they should not be exposed to the chicken pox virus and thus unwittingly bring it back home to the infant. But that is EXACTLY what happened to my friend whose kids are in the same school as my kid. A family of anti-vaxxers was in our school, unbeknownst to us and her baby got chicken pox. Luckily the baby did not suffer complications afterward. It was also a great way to smoke the other anti-vaxxer parents and families out, too, because their kids also got the disease. When are people going to understand Herd Immunity and how it's supposed to work?

How incredibly selfish, dangerous and flat out dumb a statement.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
YOU CANNOT VACCINATE A 2 MONTH OLD BABY FROM CHICKEN POX!

So when the big sisters come home from Elementary school and Middle school, they should not be exposed to the chicken pox virus and thus unwittingly bring it back home to the infant. But that is EXACTLY what happened to my friend whose kids are in the same school as my kid. A family of anti-vaxxers was in our school, unbeknownst to us and her baby got chicken pox. Luckily the baby did not suffer complications afterward. It was also a great way to smoke the other anti-vaxxer parents and families out, too, because their kids also got the disease. When are people going to understand Herd Immunity and how it's supposed to work?

How incredibly selfish, dangerous and flat out dumb a statement.
You are exactly correct! Also two month olds are just starting their vaccines against Hep B (usually have had two doses by age 2 mo), DTaP, polio, Hib, pneumococcus and rotavirus. In addition to chickenpox, infants can't have MMR or Hepatitis A, the meningococcal vaccines used in the US or HPV.

That is a big reason the anti-vaxers favorite "gotcha" (if vaccines work and your kids are vaccinated what are you concerned about) is not credible.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:56 PM

10,223 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Ok, here is a question about vaccinated herd immunity, which is said to protect the most vulnerable; babies, elderly, and immune compromised.

Regarding the latter. Does this mean that others need vaccinations so these people do not catch these diseases? My younger daughter have been diagnosed immune compromised. So why didn't she catch chicken pox again when her husband and older sister had shingles if her immune system cannot fight off diseases? Pure luck? Twice? Both were far too young for that shingles vaccination.

Honestly, if you were to ask her she would tell you that her main concern is for her two young sons, not herself. Don't the majority of parents put their children's needs above their own?

As far as the vulnerable elderly, my views on that for myself are very well known.

Edit: My younger daughter caught chicken pox at 6 from her 11 year old sister. That was before the vaccine was made available. Their doctor wanted my older daughter to catch before she got any older, and for her sister to get it at the same time. Neither of them had it as babies, but I was 7 months when I did. I am Only Child so it was not from an older sibling.

Last edited by Jo48; 08-11-2018 at 07:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ok, here is a question about vaccinated herd immunity, which is said to protect the most vulnerable; babies, elderly, and immune compromised.

Regarding the latter. Does this mean that others need vaccinations so these people do not catch these diseases? My younger daughter have been diagnosed immune compromised. So why didn't she catch chicken pox again when her husband and older sister had shingles if her immune system cannot fight off diseases? Pure luck? Twice? Both were far too young for that shingles vaccination.

Honestly, if you were to ask her she would tell you that her main concern is for her two young sons, not herself. Don't the majority of parents put their children's needs above their own?

As far as the vulnerable elderly, my views on that for myself are very well known.
Not knowing what your daughter's immune compromise is, and how compromised she is, these questions are tough to answer. However, she may still have some immunity from the chickenpox case I assume she had as a child. Shingles isn't extremely contagious, either.

Yes, the majority of parents put their children's needs above their own. However, a dead parent is not able to do much parenting. A parent has to keep him/herself healthy as well.

I'm not ready to relegate everyone over 65 to "Big Funeral".

Old 08-11-2018, 09:15 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
What is most troubling is the heavy handed one size fits all approach from many in the medical community.

25 years with the Hospital and ownership changed and as part of the change we all had to have new physicals and background check.

As part of the physical we were required to bring in our immunization records... which I did... the Hospitals records where not acceptable.

The clinician said my original immunization records were too old and directed me to roll up my sleeve... I refused as I had submitted documented proof.

She brought in the Doc who said no worries as my employer is paying for it???

I stood firm and a call was made to a senior medical person at HR who offered a Titer and I agreed.

Blood work came back fine... I did not need ANY of the cocktail of immunization or boosters being forced on me...

During the same time several of our RN who had just received the Flu Shot and TB 6 weeks prior were told it was required and as they did not have proof in hand... they got a second round.

Incredible as it is to believe... they simply did not question it... these are RNs

The explanation is the sheer volume of employees necessitated outsourcing to a third party... in this case Concentra...

Anyone that thinks Medical Professionals can't or don't make mistakes has not worked in a Hospital.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Have you had outbreaks in your schools from the handful of children who didn't get immunized, whether for medical reasons or parental choice?
Yes. At my youngest daughter's elementary school 2 years ago we had a chicken pox outbreak. A friends 2 mos. old baby got chicken pox because her older siblings that went to the school, brought the virus home. The older kids were vaccinated but a 2 mos. old is too young for the vaccine.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:45 AM

10,223 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
Yes. At my youngest daughter's elementary school 2 years ago we had a chicken pox outbreak. A friends 2 mos. old baby got chicken pox because her older siblings that went to the school, brought the virus home. The older kids were vaccinated but a 2 mos. old is too young for the vaccine.
I do not understand this. So the immune, vaccinated or otherwise, can still spread disease? The vaccinated older siblings couldn't catch chicken pox but could still spread it? They had their hands on the infected children and never washed their hands before touching the baby?

There certainly were outbreaks of chicken pox in the schools by the time my daughter was 11. How come she didn't catch it? Her doctor told her to sleep over her friend's house who had the pox to catch it. So my husband and I should never have left our home either in order not to spread it? We were immune ourselves. Her older cousins, also immune, came over our house to play with her. So they went back to school and spread chicken pox?

Then there is shingles. My SIL had shingles right after his first child was born. Should he have been isolated from his newborn son? All his doctor told him was to wash his hands and wear a shirt around the baby. It isn't only old people who can get shingles. Should all young parents or anyone, who had chicken pox themselves, get a shingles vaccination in order to be around an infant so babies don't catch chicken pox? My daughter nursed both her infant children while she herself had the flu and "stomach flu". They did not catch either from her.

Her toddler son spread that norovirus to everyone in the household, including a babysitter, the only exception being his newborn brother. Shouldn't the newborn be the most vulnerable to catch it?

Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I do not understand this. So the immune, vaccinated or otherwise, can still spread disease? The vaccinated older siblings couldn't catch chicken pox but could still spread it? They had their hands on the infected children and never washed their hands before touching the baby?

There certainly were outbreaks of chicken pox in the schools by the time my daughter was 11. How come she didn't catch it? Her doctor told her to sleep over her friend's house who had the pox to catch it. So my husband and I should never have left our home either in order not to spread it? We were immune ourselves. Her older cousins, also immune, came over our house to play with her. So they went back to school and spread chicken pox?

Then there is shingles. My SIL had shingles right after his first child was born. Should he have been isolated from his newborn son? All his doctor told him was to wash his hands and wear a shirt around the baby. It isn't only old people who can get shingles. Should all young parents or anyone, who had chicken pox themselves, get a shingles vaccination in order to be around an infant so babies don't catch chicken pox? My daughter nursed both her infant children while she herself had the flu and "stomach flu". They did not catch either from her.

Her toddler son spread that norovirus to everyone in the household, including a babysitter, the only exception being his newborn brother. Shouldn't the newborn be the most vulnerable to catch it?
See this from New York state, your home state:
https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/c...fact_sheet.htm
"Chickenpox is transmitted from person to person by directly touching the blisters, saliva or mucus of an infected person. The virus can also be transmitted through the air by coughing and sneezing. Chickenpox can be spread indirectly by touching contaminated items freshly soiled, such as clothing, from an infected person. Direct contact with the blisters of a person with shingles can cause chickenpox in a person who has never had chickenpox and has not been vaccinated. Blisters that are dry and crusted are no longer able to spread chickenpox."

CDC says similar: https://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/transmission.html
"The virus spreads mainly by touching or breathing in the virus particles that come from chickenpox blisters, and possibly through tiny droplets from infected people that get into the air after they breathe or talk, for example."
So yes, that type of transmission is possible. It's also possible that the baby was exposed when mom went over to the school with the baby to pick up the siblings or for some other reason. Of course, someone could have been out in public who was contagious and exposed the baby as well.

No one knows why your daughter didn't catch chickenpox. If you weren't around someone with chickenpox, you could not spread it. I think you know that. The answer to your last question is also "no", if your daughter didn't have chickenpox herself, her cousins couldn't have picked it up from her. That should be obvious.

Your doctor gave your SIL the correct information. Why are you asking another poster if the doctor was right? Why are you asking her about shingles vaccine? The indications for the shingles vaccine can be found online. Google it if you're interested. What does your daughter's "stomach flu" have to do with chickenpox? Who knows why the NB didn't get the norovirus? Why would you expect another poster to know? These "gotcha" questions are not helpful to the discourse here.

ETA: I think it unlikely the vaccinated sibs infected the baby. I think the baby was more likely infected from being in close proximity to someone with chickenpox, which happens when there is a lot of disease in the community.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-12-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
More research is always needed. I’m sure you believed it when Suzy said it pages ago. And yes, I read what I post. You don’t read what I post but it doesn’t stop you from making assumptions and lying.

What you’re doing is bullying and honestly you seem incredibly ignorant on this subject.
It would be nice if instead of always asking others questions if you would answer a few directed at you.

True or false. You posted link to a paper that said there is no evidence that exists that no study exists that shows vaccines cause auto immune disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.