Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times

Advertisements

If I saw anyone doing that with their kids, I would call CPS immediately. There is nothing OK about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 07:42 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Depends on how old they are and the family/group dynamics.

Rather than set a universal taboo, then proceed to break it at every opportunity, I feel that behaviors are better moderated via disciplined socialization so youngsters learn to differentiate between acceptable, or 'right' behaviors and socially unacceptable, or 'wrong' behaviors. The model is sort of the Italian/French wine culture, where children are introduced to alcohol in a relaxed but controlled setting.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:50 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
No. I wouldn't smoke pot. I definitely wouldn't smoke it with my kids.

I drink alcohol on occasion. I drink with my parents. Maybe I'll drink with my kids...when they're old enough.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
I don’t have an issue with pot in small doses. I think it can help with anxiety, stomach issues etc....but once you start smoking it every day I think it can become addicting....my friends started doing that and smoke it with their 15 yr old daughter. I was there one night as they were passing around a few pot pens and their kid joined in. It just made me a bit uncomfortable her passing it to me etc.
I think learning to smoke weed in moderation is like learning to drink alcohol in moderation. If someone is going to do either, then it should be in moderation. If your friends and their daughter are getting high every day, then I don't really approve. But it's their lives, and not my business.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:45 AM

708 posts, read 721,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
If I saw anyone doing that with their kids, I would call CPS immediately. There is nothing OK about it.

That is little extreme. I don't agree with what they did but it is their family and they are not physically hurting someone. What right do you have to call CPS? You might open a box you might wish you never opened.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:
I don’t have an issue with pot in small doses. I think it can help with anxiety, stomach issues etc....but once you start smoking it every day I think it can become addicting....my friends started doing that and smoke it with their 15 yr old daughter. I was there one night as they were passing around a few pot pens and their kid joined in. It just made me a bit uncomfortable her passing it to me etc....it isn’t legal yet here either. With kids I think it could be a gateway drug to harder drugs. Am I overreacting?

Wow OP, that's pretty crazy. I would NEVER, EVER consume cannabis with my child unless he's at least 18-19. High school is a tough time for kids and their brains are still developing. Something like weed can easily distract them from goals, education, learning, motivation, activities etc. I know it did for me. And it can be dangerous. Not all people experience it the same way. I know a lot of people who have blacked out, were hallucinating, got anxiety and freaked out, etc. There are some strains out there that are over 34% THC. That is rocket fuel. Edibles are just as dangerous as you won't feel the high for at least 30 minutes and taking too much can cause you to freak out and the high lasts a very long time.

I'm not going to encourage my kids to smoke weed nor will I do it around them. I know other people (such as some of my hippie friends) that openly smoke around their kids and won't discourage it. To each their own. As long as my kids are not around pot smoking, I don't care what other do with their kids.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Depends on how old they are and the family/group dynamics.

Rather than set a universal taboo, then proceed to break it at every opportunity, I feel that behaviors are better moderated via disciplined socialization so youngsters learn to differentiate between acceptable, or 'right' behaviors and socially unacceptable, or 'wrong' behaviors. The model is sort of the Italian/French wine culture, where children are introduced to alcohol in a relaxed but controlled setting.
LOL, that's the urban legend, but it's not true, especially in France.
https://www.thelocal.fr/20150512/fre...-drinkers-oecd
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.667ccf0daeb4

Fetal alcohol syndrome was first identified in France.
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-acc....php?aid=72758

There's much more, but since this thread is about marijuana I'll stop.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:02 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
No. It’s not legal here and I have no interest in doing it. I do support legality and we let our teenager have some wine with us when we were in Europe...if it’s legal to buy pot, I don’t see any different issue with having a drink with a teen or smoking pot. I just have zero desire to smoke pot. Zero. I had loads of opportunity in college (school did NOT care if it was done...a top 20 University). I just never had the desire. I used to drink a lot though and it’s not better, but it was...at least after a certain age...legal.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:12 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
It's my opinion that your kids should never see you drunk or stoned until they're adults. Be responsible and set an example. Of course that goes out the window if you've got a medical issue that pot helps with, but otherwise... Nope. I don't have kids, but I feel pretty strongly about this.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:29 AM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Quote:
I don’t have an issue with pot in small doses. I think it can help with anxiety, stomach issues etc....but once you start smoking it every day I think it can become addicting....my friends started doing that and smoke it with their 15 yr old daughter. I was there one night as they were passing around a few pot pens and their kid joined in. It just made me a bit uncomfortable her passing it to me etc....it isn’t legal yet here either. With kids I think it could be a gateway drug to harder drugs. Am I overreacting?
Absolutely NOT! If they were of age AND if it were LEGAL, then yes, I might smoke with them, just like I might have a beer or glass of wine with them. I would not partake in an illegal activity with my minor children. That's just f-ed up "parenting" (and I use that term loosely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting