U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:30 PM

24,817 posts, read 29,697,529 times

Advertisements

Times have changed, so what may have been acceptable then might not be now.

Natalie Hollaway was a legal adult, and we see how that turned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 12:52 PM

86,550 posts, read 101,500,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Most mature adults share their itenary or changes. It's what we do when we have each other's backs.
I'm glad your parent had concerns of your whereabouts.
Beats the neglectful adults who assume a teen is immune from making care'less' decisions.

I recall leaving a note for my parents on a day where I was taking golf lessons. At 7pm I arrive home to , two anger filled parents. I was miffed....and grounded!! They said no note was on the counter. A few days of harsh words festered . Finally my step mom was going thru the mail and there was the note! No apology to me ...they just said...next time put it on the fridge.
This!

I think your step mom and/or dad should have apologized.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:55 PM

14,985 posts, read 5,924,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Based on your prior posts, I'd say they were not worried nearly enough!

jk, of course
Actually my IQ is 79, borderline moron level.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Status: "I have strong opinions and won't apologize for them." (set 9 days ago)

8,630 posts, read 3,272,730 times
Real "helicoptering" is about trying to parent kids who are over 18.

It's normal for parents to helicopter kids under 18.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:32 PM

11,634 posts, read 20,219,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think any responsible parent should know the whereabouts of their 14 or 15 yr old once they are out of familiar territory.

I agree. That said, when we were in Spain we allowed our kids to take a trip to a supermarket down the street from our hotel to buys some snacks when they were 16, 14, 11 years old. The older boys spoke pretty good Spanish and they had phones with them. They returned in a reasonable amount of time.

I would have been highly irritated if they had taken a detour without asking/letting us know.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,673,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
As much as 14-16 year olds think they are grown, they simply are not.
They could be, and should be...if they were raised properly. I began working 'adult' jobs when I was 11, I left home, lived on my own and supported myself when I was 15. At 17 I was toting an M-16 for Uncle Sam.

The young are mollycoddled far too much these days. This severely inhibits their ability to be responsible adults and cope with life in the Real World, for some this disability becomes permanent.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:05 PM

13,082 posts, read 20,484,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
They could be, and should be...if they were raised properly. I began working 'adult' jobs when I was 11, I left home, lived on my own and supported myself when I was 15. At 17 I was toting an M-16 for Uncle Sam.

The young are mollycoddled far too much these days. This severely inhibits their ability to be responsible adults and cope with life in the Real World, for some this disability becomes permanent.
And how do you account for nefarious people that well-raised young teens might cross paths with? We can't control the world, the best we can do is watch out for our own.

If you were toting for Uncle Sam at 17, then either your parents gave permission, or you lied about your age.
I find either scenario sad, because you weren't given the chance to enjoy your youth. Fortunately, boys can also become men through other avenues.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

And how do you account for nefarious people that well-raised young teens might cross paths with? We can't control the world, the best we can do is watch out for our own.

If you were toting for Uncle Sam at 17, then either your parents gave permission, or you lied about your age.
I find either scenario sad, because you weren't given the chance to enjoy your youth. Fortunately, boys can also become men through other avenues.
I'm with Zymer on this. I was born in 1957. When I was 10 I was riding my bicycle to pick-up baseball games about 1.5 miles from my house. No one was driven by Mommy. In 1972 I had to fight for the privilege of biking myself to evening events at the YMHA and the high school - but I wound up winning those fights. At those ages, I was not someone's pet dog on a leash.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 PM

13,082 posts, read 20,484,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm with Zymer on this. I was born in 1957. When I was 10 I was riding my bicycle to pick-up baseball games about 1.5 miles from my house. No one was driven by Mommy. In 1972 I had to fight for the privilege of biking myself to evening events at the YMHA and the high school - but I wound up winning those fights. At those ages, I was not someone's pet dog on a leash.
I don't see your point. 1972 was 46 years ago. Do you really think the world hasn't changed since then?

In 1957 most families owned one car. So yes, if Dad took it to work, Mom wasn't driving the kids anywhere. When I wanted to play softball, I also had to ride my bike to the field, and it was closer to 3 miles than 1.5. It was the norm, nothing extraordinary at all. And, it was local territory, not foreign.

Pet dog on a leash? Really?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I don't see your point. 1972 was 46 years ago. Do you really think the world hasn't changed since then?

In 1957 most families owned one car. So yes, if Dad took it to work, Mom wasn't driving the kids anywhere. When I wanted to play softball, I also had to ride my bike to the field, and it was closer to 3 miles than 1.5. It was the norm, nothing extraordinary at all. And, it was local territory, not foreign.

Pet dog on a leash? Really?
Thatís not the point. I did not want to be driven to games or activities by Mommy, Though she was quite willing to do so. When we were a one car family, she drove my father to the train station and picked him up in the evening.

I donít think much has changed since 1972 in terms of crime. Crime rates are actually sharply lower than they were then. I think we are bringing of infants, not budding adults. In terms of the story that I discussed about the Bahamas in 1973, the point of that was that I did not try to go to the zoo for turtle soup since I could figure out that the schedules did not work and that it would not be a safe trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting