Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Interesting thought experiment: If you found yourself having to parent your teenage self, how good/bad would it be? Would you be very difficult and such?
I laughed out loud at this one. I became me in spite of my parents, so how could I be anything other than a total prince to me as a dad!

My father was born in 1911 into a rather poor working class family. He was a real wiseass in school and left at age sixteen to great applause from the school. He was a lousy father. He wanted a carbon copy of himself and didn't get one, never said he loved me or was affectionate, he became glacial at home because he was unhappy with his marriage and he commanded rather than ask or told. (Outside the home he was more than halfway decent, a hard worker and well-liked.)

My mother was born in 1910. Her father & mother immigrated from Canada with their four young daughters. He was a staunch Presbyterian with prejudices, his wife was (I heard from my three aunts) extremely strict, very concerned about social appearances, given to screaming outbursts of anger and irrational reactions. My grandmother died when my mother was just shy of thirteen, and my grandfather had spoiled her terribly - she was the youngest. She never grew beyond that age...what was the point, being thirteen got her everything she wanted all the time. My father appeared in her countryside as a seasonal laborer, she knew him six weeks and sneaked off and married him secretly. My mother changed badly starting when I was eight - no, it was not menopause. I was the only surviving child, she resented my increasing independence and academic interests that I developed in Jr. and Sr. high.

Both parents had zero interest in anything "academic." They had no curiosity about anything and like teenagers were certain they already knew it all, even when they were totally ignorant about something.

I was academic, I was curious, I worked while I went to school and I learned to deal with and like other adults on my own as a teenager. I had no love for my father at all, and went from loving my mother as a small child to having no respect for her as an adult.

I am great with other people's kids and I relate very well to curious young people. Contrary to the smart ass opening above, I am afraid that I became such a loner growing up and even as a young adult that I have to seriously question whether I might not really chafe at the intimacy of raising my own teenage self. I am a very outgoing guy, but I am another guy who goes his own way without the slightest desire to involve other people - and this was showing as a teenager; and these guys change roles as fast as Clark Kent and Superman did. I think this is not the stuff of a great parent. Somehow I think as a parent to my teenage self I might act more like a "nice guy" type but sometimes strangely remote older brother more than a father. On the other hand, that would be better overall than either parent that I did have probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 01:12 PM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Interesting thought experiment: If you found yourself having to parent your teenage self, how good/bad would it be? Would you be very difficult and such?
If you have kids you often do find yourself parenting your teenage self. Its called paying for your raising.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:24 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Apparently I was very snarky... but I got straight A's in school, never drank, did drugs or even dated. I didn't go out, just did school and my couple of sports, then came home. So, all in all, very little to complain about if I had to parent my teenaged self... just a moody/snarky kid.
Ditto the above. I was a straight-A student and worked at the YMCA every afternoon starting at age 15. Got home, ate dinner, did homework, and went to bed. I didn't hang around many other kids; certainly none who were troublemakers or the partying type. Looking back and comparing myself to my own teens, my parents had nothing to worry about, but I was mouthy and talked back too much.

I think I would have done fine parenting a kid like me. My own kids seem much, much more complicated and problematic. I think I'm having such a hard time because I have NO IDEA how to deal with teens who are anything other than self-motivated and hard-working.

Last edited by saibot; 08-15-2018 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 01:44 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If you have kids you often do find yourself parenting your teenage self. Its called paying for your raising.

I can imagine that may often be true. The problem my parents had was that each wanted to raise themself in me, and I wasn't very much like either. An aunt once exclaimed in exasperation over her sister, my mother, when I was a young teenager, "It's hard to believe you're your parents' child!"

Old 08-15-2018, 03:54 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
It would be easy. I got good grades and was no trouble.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:59 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,527 times
I would have signed me up for every extra curricular class out there in the summers.

I had very regimented school years (Boarding school) and was the kind that needed to learn and do. I would loose my mind with all the free time over the school breaks.

My parents thought I needed the break but it actually drove me nuts.... and sent me looking for trouble.

That said, I wouldn’t trade places with them- my sister was a hellion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting