Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

The suicide rate among teens int he LGBTQ community is at least twice as high as among straight teens. The best thing we can do for our kids is love and support them. Telling them to go hide in the closet is not supportive. That tells them something is wrong or shameful about who they are. That's more akin to child abuse than any spin you can put on this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:26 PM

199 posts, read 129,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The suicide rate among teens int he LGBTQ community is at least twice as high as among straight teens. The best thing we can do for our kids is love and support them. Telling them to go hide in the closet is not supportive. That tells them something is wrong or shameful about who they are. That's more akin to child abuse than any spin you can put on this story.
I never said they need to hide. Why do people twist what is said? Just because I think it’s wrong that the mother is posting it all over social media doesn’t mean I think the girl should hide in shame. I am saying the parents shouldn’t exploit it. Also 20, 30 years ago there weren’t many suicides in the LGBTQ community....so why is their now when people are able to be more expressive than ever?

Quote:
I knew at 12 that I liked boys. Why wouldn't she know she likes girls?
Did you not read what I said? I stated she can very well know she is gay just like I knew I liked boys at that age.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
I never said they need to hide. I am saying the parents shouldn’t exploit it. Also 20, 30 years ago there weren’t many suicides in the LGBTQ community....so why is their now when people are able to be more expressive than ever?
source?

What, specifically, makes you think they are exploiting her? Would you think the same if a 12 year old wanted to lead some other kind of event and their parents helped?

What if she wanted to start a campaign to outlaw plastic grocery bags in her town, and her parents helped publicize it? Would that be exploitation?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:39 PM

199 posts, read 129,333 times
You can’t compare plastic bags to a deep, emotional kid learning about who she is. Come on.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
You can’t compare plastic bags to a deep, emotional kid learning about who she is. Come on.
Why can't she throw a parade while learning who she is? Is 12 too young to be proud of who you are? Or to encourage others to be proud of who they are?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:51 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Hmm, I am conflicted.
On one hand, you'd think that other stuff (like grades and friends) would be front and center for a twelve year old.
On the other, everyone is different.. and maybe the kid wants a gf yesterday?

But gay pride parade 'organiser' so early in life?
I don't even think gay pride parades make sense anymore, and I was there when they were called MARCHES!
Accidents of birth are really nothing to be proud of .. nor are they anything to be ashamed of.

Sexual preference, like skin color or height, is not a choice.
Except for the ever-increasing number of 'cool pretenders' I am sure of it.

Ok, I've decided..
It's not worth paying attention to by anyone who cares about important stuff.. 'cause this ain't important.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
I don't see parents "promoting" their gay daughter. I see a gay 12 year old promoting acceptance and being proud of who you are, even in the suburbs. It sounds like it was her idea and the parents are supporting her. Not sure where you get that it is the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
How is it "promoting her gay daughter" and not just embracing and showing acceptance and supporting her daughter's efforts? If my daughter expressed an interest in doing something similar, I'd support her, without question. While many have politicized other people's sexual orientation, it isn't a political maneuver to seek and gather in support and acceptance. Having that community and support is important for many.
Yes and yes.

I'm impressed by the parents' support, as well as the daughter's determination to fulfill her goal of bringing a parade to her town.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:24 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post

Ok, I've decided..
It's not worth paying attention to by anyone who cares about important stuff.. 'cause this ain't important.
Tolerance, acceptance, and diversity aren't important?

More twelve year olds who have organized events that were near and dear to their hearts and some are very personal too.

12-year-old who lost dad to OD organizes opioid awareness event- https://www.wishtv.com/top-video/12-...ent/1096467093

12-year-old organizes book drive for kids affected by Harvey- https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-12480452.php

12-Year-Old Organizes Fundraiser for Childhood Cancer- https://www.wltx.com/article/news/lo...ncer/340196561

12-year-old organizes kids-only golf tournament to raise money for juvenile diabetes research- https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebras...853b76187.html

Manhasset 12-year-old raises more than $12K for cancer- https://theislandnow.com/news-98/man...2k-for-cancer/

Old 08-08-2018, 10:38 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
They are motivated because it is something their kid want to do. It's not hard to understand.

At what age did you have your first crush? I'm thinking probably around 12...

Child abuse? Because they love and support their daughter? ok...
A crush at 12 is much different than aligning with a movement.

At 12, she is not even fully developed. She might THINK she is gay, but maybe she's not. She is 12 years old!

Would you be okay with this if she was 10, 8, 5? What is the cutoff where you might think she would be too young to be totally OUT without having a fully developed body or mind?

It's just "extra" as "they" say these days.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Why can't she throw a parade while learning who she is? Is 12 too young to be proud of who you are? Or to encourage others to be proud of who they are?
Why would anyone be proud of an accident of birth? It's not like THEY did anything to cause it - so what is to be "proud" about? It makes no sense, and especially not for a 12 year old.

What is next?

Being "proud" you have two arms?

It's just kind of ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting