Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:43 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I think it's a great idea. I think it would work for most of the married couples with kids that I know. However, it would not have worked for my parents. My father was not and never has been a considerate person and my mother has a hair-trigger temper. They should have divorced when I was much younger (they waited until I was 21).

Honestly, I'm thinking this is a good question to talk over with someone before you marry. If they tell you they could never do something like that, maybe it's best not to marry them. I mean, situations change, but if that's their attitude going in, it might be good to peel out while their are no strings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 03:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can't see it working for me. If a man carried 50 % of the work load and was considerate, he probably wouldn't be divorced. So I can see the divorced mister still expecting his laundry to be done, his dinner to be cooked, and his house to be cleaned.

No advantage to the wife. You get divorced to get rid of the spouse and his associated extra work and disagreeable temper. . The divorced husband no longer has to share his paycheck and he can bed other women, but he still has his free housekeeper and child tender.

If people were easy to get along with, they would very likely still be married.

The ex wife wouldn't be doing that stuff...cooking for him, etc.. They wouldn't be living in the same house at the same time so how could she?

Old 08-11-2018, 05:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
This could work if you had a huge house, where you each could individually lock your bedrooms so the other person wouldn't be infringing on your privacy - and if you were both super mature, got along swimmingly, and were both sane - but then, if that was the case, you probably would not have gotten divorced.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:51 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
You know, there is a reason people get divorced, and its not because they get along so well with each other. If you get along well enough to make something like this work, why bother with a divorce at all?

Old 08-11-2018, 08:51 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Shelling out money? It might actually be cheaper.
Overall? How? They'd need 3 residences instead of two. I guess you could argue that the two the parents have could be really small single apartments or something, but that would come down to what they want to live in and their income, which is true for all housing decisions.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:25 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
^^ I think the point is for them to share a single small residence during the time that they're doing this. They would only need an apartment or whatever suitable for one person, because the kids wouldn't be going there. The current home plus a small apartment is probably going to be cheaper than two homes that can each accommodate the children.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:00 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
^^ I think the point is for them to share a single small residence during the time that they're doing this. They would only need an apartment or whatever suitable for one person, because the kids wouldn't be going there. The current home plus a small apartment is probably going to be cheaper than two homes that can each accommodate the children.
This! Just because two people can make this arrangement work amicably does not mean they should stay married either. And not all divorces happen because one person is abusive, an idiot, not pulling their weight etc...people grow and change and grow apart.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:59 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I actually know two divorced couples who still live together and just have separate bedrooms in the house. They do this for the kids so it’s not a big adjustment but it makes dating tricky from what they’ve said. One couple has been doing this for 6 years now and say it’s the best decision they ever made.

Now I couldn’t do it but I also wouldn’t be shuffling my child back and forth. I’d have the setup be whatever was the most stable and beneficial for him even if it meant he spent most of his time with dad.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
This is what I was picturing.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 PM

199 posts, read 130,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
These sum up my opinion nicely. My parents divorced, I'm divorced, one sister is divorced, and various other people I know are divorced. None of the children involved were traumatized by the process.
Perhaps not traumatized, but you and your sibling may have been more likely to be in a divorce yourselves because of what you experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting