Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our insurance company offers a program where they install a camera in a teen's car to monitor their driving behavior and then email reports weekly to the parents. It gives parents an extra year of 'watching' their teen drive. You bet our DS will get that as soon as he gets his license.
I always thought about installing one of those speed regulators on the car until someone pointed out that it's sometimes important to speed up to avoid accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
I was sooo terrified to learn how to drive.
I finally did take a driver's ed course and that did help me greatly.
I'd say those instructor's definitely have more patience with you then your parents do.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
My S19 doesn't want to drive. I've taken him out, paid for lessons and drivers ed, etc. He does FINE but he is scared about doing something wrong and getting into an accident or hurting someone. I don't know how to get past this but we really have to try. He is on his 3rd permit and it expires in May. LOL.

I also have a 23 year old, who doesn't actually belong to me but hangs around alot, who is on his 2nd permit. He just purchased a car for himself and it's parked in front of my house (his dad is gone and his relationship with his mom is strained...so he never got the teenage-learn-to-drive experience) I paid for a lesson for him already but he still needs practice. But right now he is saving money to buy his insurance.

I don't know what it is with these boys. My daughter took off at 15 1/2 and yeah, she had some fender benders and tickets, but nothing slowed her down.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My S19 doesn't want to drive. I've taken him out, paid for lessons and drivers ed, etc. He does FINE but he is scared about doing something wrong and getting into an accident or hurting someone. I don't know how to get past this but we really have to try. He is on his 3rd permit and it expires in May. LOL.

I also have a 23 year old, who doesn't actually belong to me but hangs around alot, who is on his 2nd permit. He just purchased a car for himself and it's parked in front of my house (his dad is gone and his relationship with his mom is strained...so he never got the teenage-learn-to-drive experience) I paid for a lesson for him already but he still needs practice. But right now he is saving money to buy his insurance.

I don't know what it is with these boys. My daughter took off at 15 1/2 and yeah, she had some fender benders and tickets, but nothing slowed her down.
I don't get this either. It seems to be more with boys than girls though. Most of my daughters male teen friends want to drive. However, I know of many male teens that have no interest in it whatsoever. They are happy to have mom and dad tote them everywhere. Two that I know that have no interest in driving come from a "strange" family and the kids (4) are kind of awkward socially. Their girls are "outgoing" but VERY immature and the boys are very withdrawn. This makes their girls not be able to keep friends for very long and the boys just don't meet many. I know of others the same way and their boys just don't care to drive.

My daughter turns 15 in a week and she is all ready to take her test to get her permit. We already have the curriculium ready to go. She is even eager to learn to drive a stick shift.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
My 15-year-old son has zero interest in driving.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:31 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
My 15-year-old son has zero interest in driving.
I was the same way when I was that age. Growing up in NYC, driving was never a big deal as we always had our own car service or took a cab. Of course, once I turned 18 and went to college up in Cambridge, I had my license and a car, although I didn't drive a whole lot that I can remember.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I teach mine to drive, and I like when the cops give them their first speeding ticket because no matter what you tell them, they decide they can go faster. When they find they have to give a few of their paychecks to the police, they wisen up.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I teach mine to drive, and I like when the cops give them their first speeding ticket because no matter what you tell them, they decide they can go faster. When they find they have to give a few of their paychecks to the police, they wisen up.
Also a minor fender bender where their car is slightly damaged and there's no damage to the truck they hit is a good learning lesson. Fortunately, their younger brothers learned from it too.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:14 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
I taught my oldest son to drive, but he did go to driving school also-in my state you have to wait longer if you don't, and the insurance discount was worth it. The driving school was pretty thoughrough, but we did a lot of practice on our own too.

So far, so good, no tickets or accidents. We do remind him that driving is a priviledge, not a right.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:07 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Drivers Ed is the best invention on Earth. Did ya ever try to teach 3 boys at once how to drive? The only thing that was driving, was me, driving me nuts.
Never again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting