Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times

Advertisements

We're about to take a trip (air travel) with our two kids, ages 10 and 12. The seat belt/car seat rules for the state we're traveling to don't require them to be in booster seats (which they still use at home), but of course, safety is our main concern.

I was researching some alternatives to buying/schlepping booster seats with us on our trip and found these two products: The Clypx and the mifold.

https://clypx.com/

https://www.mifold.com/

Has anyone tried either of these products? I've read product reviews, but I would like a few more data points. A couple reviewers slammed the Clypx as unsafe, but I'm not 100% on board with their reasoning, especially for older kids, like mine.

For the most part, both of these products seem to do pretty much the same thing. I'm concerned about the mifold's comfort as some reviewers said their kids thought the seat was hard and uncomfortable. At my kids' ages, even though they're shorter and weigh less than average, it seems like the Clypx would be better, so long as the thing works as advertised.

And I'm open to other ideas/suggestions, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 05:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Are your kids on the lower end of the growth curve? I would think the clip thing would be sufficient. My youngest just turned 13 and hasn't been in a booster seat in many years. He's on the tall side. Unless they are unusually short, I wouldn't travel with a booster for a 12 year old and most likely not for a 10 year old either. We traveled with backless boosters, and they seemed about the same size as that foldable one you linked.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:10 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Booster for 10 and 12? I guess if they're on the smaller end. We could definitely use the clip for our soon-to-be 9 year old. But my 11 year old daughter is 118 lbs and 5'7". A booster hasn't been necessary for a couple years now.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
How tall are they? Under 4'9" I assume since you still want boosters. But really small or close? When they were close but not quite there, we did the Bubble Bum which is a similar idea. My kids are on the taller side, so they were younger. They are kind of narrow, so it would depend on build too, how comfortable they would be. There is a message board where you can find reviews from car seat techs that might help
https://www.car-seat.org/

Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 AM

1,201 posts, read 803,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
We're about to take a trip (air travel) with our two kids, ages 10 and 12. The seat belt/car seat rules for the state we're traveling to don't require them to be in booster seats (which they still use at home), but of course, safety is our main concern.

I was researching some alternatives to buying/schlepping booster seats with us on our trip and found these two products: The Clypx and the mifold.

https://clypx.com/

https://www.mifold.com/

Has anyone tried either of these products? I've read product reviews, but I would like a few more data points. A couple reviewers slammed the Clypx as unsafe, but I'm not 100% on board with their reasoning, especially for older kids, like mine.

For the most part, both of these products seem to do pretty much the same thing. I'm concerned about the mifold's comfort as some reviewers said their kids thought the seat was hard and uncomfortable. At my kids' ages, even though they're shorter and weigh less than average, it seems like the Clypx would be better, so long as the thing works as advertised.

And I'm open to other ideas/suggestions, too!
I was a car seat technician/child passenger safety advocate for years. These seatbelt positioners are fine for larger kids who are almost to the point of not needing a booster; however, I would not use them for smaller children. At 10 and 12, your kids are probably fine unless they are really petite. They should be able to sit with their backs against the vehicle seat and have their legs bend comfortably over the seat edge without scooting their backs away from the seat back. This can vary in different cars. My kids could ride without a booster way sooner in my car than they could in the second seat of their father’s suburban, which had much deeper seats. You want to make sure the lap belt is kept across the hip BONES/upper thighs as that is what protects their internal organs in a crash. If they aren’t large enough, the booster boosts them up so the lapbelt doesn’t go across soft tissue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting