Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Those are also marketed to young people, if not "kids". When I was in my late teens it was Boone's Farm wines, and then later wine coolers. No real adult would touch that crap.
So "fake" adults do?

I think you'd be surprised at how many adults love fruit flavored anything otherwise fruit flavored alcohol (Vodka,Bourbon,Whiskey,Liqueurs wouldn't be good sellers as they are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 11:43 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Also from your article:

"That's not because they don't want to work, said Paul Harrington, director of the center, a professor of education and an author of the report. Teens have been unsuccessful in either finding sufficient hours of work or finding any work at all, he said.".
So? It still means fewer kids work than in previous decades. Which furthers the argument that they likely get money from their parents.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:56 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
So? It still means fewer kids work than in previous decades. Which furthers the argument that they likely get money from their parents.
Or they do things like mow lawns, babysit, tutor, etc. which allow for more flexible hours and usually pay more. But these types of jobs aren't reported. My 13 year old has made hundreds of dollars just feeding the neighbors' cats while they are gone.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Or they do things like mow lawns, babysit, tutor, etc. which allow for more flexible hours and usually pay more. But these types of jobs aren't reported. My 13 year old has made hundreds of dollars just feeding the neighbors' cats while they are gone.
This is anecdotal, but every teen I've known who advertised to babysit, in the end, would never be available when I asked. So I stopped asking. The babysitter I use on a regular basis is a woman in her 40s. She's reliable and she needs the money.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 1,850 times
I believe that it's nothing wrong with JH kids to have an allowance. They need to learn what to do with it and how to use it. They need to learn that skill for the future, you use it in the first 4 days of the month, it's gone. Now, they will try drinks and others but "in fashion" is the vaping method. The problem we have is the new drugs in those, not the fact that they are trying things. It is the peer pressure and the desire of being cool that makes lots of them try it. We can be there to explain why is that wrong and hope all will be ok. And always be alert.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Your neighbors are crazy. I have an adult friend come in and feed the cats, also bring in the mail and water the plants. I usually get her a small gift from where we've gone, or a Starbuck's card.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Your neighbors are crazy. I have an adult friend come in and feed the cats, also bring in the mail and water the plants. I usually get her a small gift from where we've gone, or a Starbuck's card.
She doesn't make hundreds from each job. But there are several folks in the neighborhood that she does this for. One neighbor has a dog she takes out too. She had several such jobs over the summer.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:41 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Okay, here’s the thing:

Not only is vaping incredibly popular in high schools but the kids are laughing at old people for not knowing it. There is an inside joke amongst the students at my twins high school; “Why are there toilets in the Juul room?”

Not only are kids plugging in & charging the paraphernalia while in class but kids actually vape in class & nobody gets caught. All you have to do is to take a light toke & hold your breath for a few seconds; there is no lingering smoke & no smell. You can exhale & no vapor can be seen.

Students who are over 18 will buy enough at one time, to sell to the students under 18; so that their own habit is essentially supplied for free.

Many students actually do work, some get an allowance, others hustle & the rest are just annoying until a parent gives them money to shut up & go do something.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:42 PM

I'll also say I don't really fault those kids who don't work. I started working when I was 14. Worked all through high school, mostly retail. But things aren't like they used to be. It's so hyper-competitive now. Getting into college is much harder than it was, at least for the good universities.

My daughter is only in 8th grade, but she's in dance and band (both school sponsored activities). Band doesn't take up much time, but she has dance practice after school every day. She doesn't get home until almost 6:00 and then eats dinner. Then she has (on average) about 3 hours of homework. On Tuesdays she doesn't get home until about 8:30. I can't imagine that load is going to lighten up any in high school. Doesn't leave much time to work during the school year. .

Old 09-16-2018, 04:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Who pays for their phones and expensive clothes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting