U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 03:59 PM

11,229 posts, read 9,228,214 times

Advertisements

Gift and expect do not belong together in any sentence I can think of. (Unless I work at it )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 08:51 PM

6,433 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If you give a gift such as concert tickets, to a couple, are you also expected to pay for their babysitter so they can attend the concert?
No. But when people give us concert tickets, theater tickets, restaurant gift cards - we just don't use them. We can't. We can't take our kids to those places, they're too young, and it would cost a lot to hire a sitter for three kids.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:23 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
How incredibly awful. I can't imagine how hurt the sister was after going out of her way -- and spending more than she could probably afford -- to try to do something nice for her brother only to be stomped on. RUDE!!

Old 09-23-2018, 05:48 AM

31,984 posts, read 17,265,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No. But when people give us concert tickets, theater tickets, restaurant gift cards - we just don't use them. We can't. We can't take our kids to those places, they're too young, and it would cost a lot to hire a sitter for three kids.
Ever hear of take-out?

The big brother in the OP's scenario sounds like a big turd. Ask him if he wants fries with that sitter.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:18 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Alone time with your husband is important. Maybe you could trade off babysitting with another couple.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 AM

21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Alone time with your husband is important. Maybe you could trade off babysitting with another couple.
That was going to be my response as well. We did this at times.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:26 PM

15,574 posts, read 9,650,106 times
Quote:
If you give a gift such as concert tickets, to a couple, are you also expected to pay for their babysitter so they can attend the concert? This situation recently came up with some younger friends and I am curious about what other people think.

A college student that I know splurged to give her older brother and his wife (who both have full time jobs) two tickets to a concert that he wanted to attended. Normally she would give a small gift, or a home made gift, to her brother for his birthday but spent at least four times what she would normally spent on his gift to buy two concert tickets. And, while he was (mostly) appreciative of the gift, he informed her that "it was not polite to buy tickets for a night out unless you also include enough money to pay for a babysitter."

Frankly, I had never heard of an etiquette rule like that. So, was she in the wrong or was he just making that up or is this something new or what?

Thank you for any input.

Oops, maybe this should be in Non-romantic relationships instead, but I was wondering what people who needed to pay for baby sitters (parents) thought about this issue.

I only have one question. WHAT !!!!!!!!!

That would be the last time I give that guy ANYTHING, even the time of day.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:51 PM

1,664 posts, read 770,645 times
I think next year the brother deserves a two-for-a-dollar greeting card from Dollar Tree. Except he'd probably expect her to come over and open it for him.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:55 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,913,707 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I also had never heard of anyone expecting that you also pay for the babysitter when you give a gift like that.

It was really out of character for the older brother to act like that. I wondered if he meant it as a joke and sent it via text/email and his sister misunderstood and took it seriously. If that is the case then the joke is on him as she never gave him another expensive birthday gift in the following years.

Another possibility is he had gotten used to his wife's wealthy parents giving them tickets to things and then offering to babysit (obviously for free to spend time with their grandchild) or maybe paying for a babysitter. I really don't know if they did that but I could easily picture it happening. But, something that your wealthy in-laws may (or may not do) is completely different from expecting your broke college student little sister to do it.

It really is not a big deal, but it came up in conversation recently and I wanted to get other opinions on it. I think that it was probably meant as a joke but the sister really thought (both then and now) that he meant it seriously.

Thanks.
Thank you everyone. I am glad that (almost) everyone else though it was as crazy as I did.

I am still thinking that he meant it as a joke (sent via text or email) and the joke fell flat. Very flat.

Mods, feel free to close this thread.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:24 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,544,645 times
I would have responded with ďokay then, Iíll keep the tickets for myself.Ē Thatís the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting