U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 PM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If you give a gift such as concert tickets, to a couple, are you also expected to pay for their babysitter so they can attend the concert? This situation recently came up with some younger friends and I am curious about what other people think.

A college student that I know splurged to give her older brother and his wife (who both have full time jobs) two tickets to a concert that he wanted to attended. Normally she would give a small gift, or a home made gift, to her brother for his birthday but spent at least four times what she would normally spent on his gift to buy two concert tickets. And, while he was (mostly) appreciative of the gift, he informed her that "it was not polite to buy tickets for a night out unless you also include enough money to pay for a babysitter."

Frankly, I had never heard of an etiquette rule like that. So, was she in the wrong or was he just making that up or is this something new or what?

Thank you for any input.

Oops, maybe this should be in Non-romantic relationships instead, but I was wondering what people who needed to pay for baby sitters (parents) thought about this issue.
LOL!!! In their dreams!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 06:15 AM

5,125 posts, read 3,639,022 times
Absolutely NOT!

If it was stated in the card (babysitting services included) along with the tickets, then yes.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:54 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,164,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If you give a gift such as concert tickets, to a couple, are you also expected to pay for their babysitter so they can attend the concert? This situation recently came up with some younger friends and I am curious about what other people think.

A college student that I know splurged to give her older brother and his wife (who both have full time jobs) two tickets to a concert that he wanted to attended. Normally she would give a small gift, or a home made gift, to her brother for his birthday but spent at least four times what she would normally spent on his gift to buy two concert tickets. And, while he was (mostly) appreciative of the gift, he informed her that "it was not polite to buy tickets for a night out unless you also include enough money to pay for a babysitter."

Frankly, I had never heard of an etiquette rule like that. So, was she in the wrong or was he just making that up or is this something new or what?

Thank you for any input.

Oops, maybe this should be in Non-romantic relationships instead, but I was wondering what people who needed to pay for baby sitters (parents) thought about this issue.
Nope. The brother is just a jerk.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:33 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,814,568 times
I think that's an outrageous answer. But we didn't have a sitter when my son was younger and no one to trade off babysitting with. We probably couldn't have used them either. But that's not the problem of the gift giver!

My siblings had children years before I did and if I gave them a gift like this, part of the gift would have been me watching the kids for them.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:16 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,915,472 times
That's like giving someone a car and they complaining that it would be rude to give them a car without paying for the gas.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,913,183 times
No.

Should you be expected to pay for tolls, parking, and dinner as well?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:14 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,028,189 times
Hell NO!

He wouldn't have to worry about not getting money for a babysitter again because I would never give him tickets to anything again. But then, I would have laughed at him when he said it to begin with and probably popped off some remark back to him and we would be clear on the situation.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,386,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post

My siblings had children years before I did and if I gave them a gift like this, part of the gift would have been me watching the kids for them.
Childless here. I do the same for family and friends when gifting something that is a night out. I enjoy spending time with the kids and it gives their parent(s) an opportunity to get out.

On the other side of that, it seems many people think Iím always available to babysit, especially on short notice since Iím childless.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM

47 posts, read 10,143 times
People will always complain about something. Once I had a person get upset that I accepted $10 gas money...that she offered me.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:50 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,490,886 times
On first read, I agreed with everyone else...he was being a jerk. But then I got to thinking about it...so I'll play devil's advocate.

What if this couple just really don't have money for a babysitter, parking, etc.? I STILL think it was rude to say what he said, but is it/was it thoughtless on the sister's part, to not realize this is a poor couple who can't afford to go out like that?

For example...we have a friend who has offered the use of her time share in Hawaii to us. That's great...but we'd still have to pay for our airline tickets to Hawaii...and whatever incidentals, meals, etc.

Now, this friend didn't GIFT us the time share...she's just offered it to us, if we decide to ever go. But what if she HAD gifted us with the timeshare...but we couldn't use it because of all the other expenses associated with the trip?

See where I'm going with this? Am I being clear? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting