U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:31 PM

21 posts, read 6,055 times

Advertisements

I am desperately seeking advice regarding my daughters night time issue. She is 7 (8 in Nov) and she still wets the bed every single night no matter what I try or don't try. I have taken her to her pedi multiple times and was basically given the same answer every time....that she is perfectly healthy and its just something that she needs to outgrow on her own. I have tried waking her, not allowing drinks past 7:00 (her bedtime is 8:30), only allowing sips of a drink, making her go before bed and having her help me with the bedding and nothing has helped. I just don't know what else to do. The laundry is killing me and there are times where I am changing sheets twice in a night! Up until a month ago, I was buying pull ups and while the largest ones still fit her, they just don't make it through the night and I still end up with a wet bed. I moved up to the goodnites thinking because they were made for older kids they would be better but that was not the case. Not only did they not work but they cost more than the pull ups and you get less in a pack!
I don't know if its a good thing but it doesn't really bother her that she does it. She hates waking up in a wet bed every morning but her still wetting the bed at her age doesn't phase or embarrass her her one bit if that makes sense. I am beginning to dread mornings with her because most mornings I have to deal with her being upset and having a fit because I am asking her to help me with her bedding. Usually she will flat out refuse to help and it gets to a point where I am late getting her to school on time.
I am hoping someone else here is going through this with their older one and could offer some suggestions. I just cant handle all the extra laundry and having to argue with her over this every morning.

Thank you everyone,
Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 01:50 PM

3,902 posts, read 1,471,959 times
I know of a boy who is 9 who still routinely wets at night. He's been wearing "pull-ups" to bed for years. Limiting liquids has been used, and other approaches, but no resolution yet.

His bed has a waterproof covering, just in case the pull-up gets overfilled. Just because he has the issue doesn't make it an inconvenience and a problem. Preparing him and the bed cut down on stress and embarrassment, which would make matters worse if he wasn't wearing the pull-up and the bed wasn't protected. No need to add negatives to the mix (disappointments, shaming). Be proactive.

He know it's not normal, and only cares that no other kids or friends find out he wears them. Beyond that, it's all fine.

He may be autistic - or slightly autistic - and that may be a factor into why it's happening. Also told that it is okay and normal, and something to eventually grow out of.

This might be an "okay" matter, and not a serious issue.

Best of wishes to you.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-27-2018 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I know of a boy who is 9 who still routinely wets at night. He's been wearing "pull-ups" to bed for years. Limiting liquids has been used, and other approaches, but no resolution yet.

He may be autistic - or slightly autistic - and that may be a factor into why it's happening. Also told that it is okay and normal, and something to eventually grow out of.

This might be an "okay" matter, and not a serious issue. I'm not sure what to think about it.

Best of wishes to you.
Thanks for the post. She is perfectly healthy and was given a clean bill of health. Her pedi can find nothing wrong with her. I don't get it. She is not a deep or heavy sleeper at all. I have to almost tiptoe past her room when I go to bed because if I make the slightest sound, she will wake up.
I wouldn't mind using the pull ups again if they work but its like throwing money out the window. She didn't/doesn't mind wearing them as they used to keep her bed dry. Its not fun for the both of us, especially me having to change her sheets in the middle of the night AND again in the morning.

Thanks,
Laura

Old 09-27-2018, 01:58 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
What if you didn't change her sheets? If she wants fresh sheets, she puts them on.

Might seem like an odd question...but has she experienced some kind of trauma lately? Some kids revert to enfantile behaviors when they've experienced severe trauma.

Also...is she on the autistic spectrum? My son was 6 before I'd say he was reliably potty trained. Very exasperating and embarassing. I know.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
What if you didn't change her sheets? If she wants fresh sheets, she puts them on.

Might seem like an odd question...but has she experienced some kind of trauma lately? Some kids revert to enfantile behaviors when they've experienced severe trauma.

Also...is she on the autistic spectrum? My son was 6 before I'd say he was reliably potty trained. Very exasperating and embarassing. I know.
I have left her sheets but I could only last 2 full days. I just couldn't have her sleep in wet nasty sheets. I didn't think it was healthy at all. Not to mention the smell. Febreeze only covers up the smell so much.

She is not on the autistic spectrum. She has been given a clean bill of health. I hate to use the term lazy but that is what I feel it is. She just doesn't want to get up to go to the bathroom. There has been no trauma in our lives and she has always wet the bed since she was potty trained. I just don't get how this doesn't bother or embarrass her. She hates waking up in a soaking wet bed but could care less that she will wets the bed at almost 8 years old. Having to wash sheets every morning is wearing thin.

Thanks,
Laura

Old 09-27-2018, 02:16 PM

3,902 posts, read 1,471,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_thomas123 View Post
Thanks for the post. She is perfectly healthy and was given a clean bill of health.

I have to almost tiptoe past her room when I go to bed because if I make the slightest sound, she will wake up.

She didn't/doesn't mind wearing them as they used to keep her bed dry. Its not fun for the both of us, especially me having to change her sheets in the middle of the night AND again in the morning.
The boy I know of is "perfectly healthy" too. No one is implying these kids are unhealthy.

He uses a fan at night to even out the sound (give a consistent level of white noise in the room). He would probably be waking up if the fan wasn't on. So, that helps him sleep. Maybe you can try a fan too.

Sorry to hear that you have to change sheets, but if pull-ups helped the bed stay dry, I don't understand why you wouldn't use them. Seems that they would easily be worth the costs, stress she may be facing, and your time and effort hassles and the health-matters with changing sheets.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:17 PM

974 posts, read 279,560 times
I don't know that it's a kind of discipline problem that punishment will help and that he can control as he sleeps. It can be something deeper. I've heard if it continues to contact a doctor at about age 6 or 7. BUT, obviously, that isn't working because of the doctor.

I asked a friend who has a child who wets the bed. We had been talking about it being in the family. Not an excuse,but interesting. But not in a sort of straight line. Grandmother did this till 7 or 8. Then her son but not other siblings. Then her daughter's daughter, so not through her son. And no other children of that daughter did this. Then NOT that daughter's children, but that daughter's niece. And so far that niece's daughter is a bit slow getting out of the pull ups. So, in the family but a bit of a zig zag in the line.

The mom gave me a site to look at that will give you some causes and things to think about and investigate.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20366685

Old 09-27-2018, 02:20 PM

2,310 posts, read 4,812,001 times
Did your pediatrician give you any advice at all? I really doubt that this is happening because she just doesn't want to get out of bed. Would you consider trying an alarm that goes off when she starts to go?

We used diaper doublers because my son was a very heavy overnight wetter. It kept his diaper from leaking, maybe an insert like that could work with the pullup?

https://www.walmart.com/search/searc...d3e8c3a702ba43

Do you have waterproof pads/sheets? I know a lot of people used to double sheet the bed when their kids were potty training. You put something down to protect the mattress, then the sheet, then another protector and top with another sheet. Then in the morning you can strip off the top 2 to put in the washer and still be ready for the next night. I know it's still work, but it could make the morning less stressful.

I know this is a strain on you, but I don't think she can control this and it's important to not punish or make her feel bad about it.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The boy I know of is "perfectly healthy" too. No one is implying these kids are unhealthy.

He uses a fan at night to even out the sound (give a consistent level of white noise in the room). He would probably be waking up if the fan wasn't on. So, that helps him sleep. Maybe you can try a fan too.

Sorry to hear that you have to change sheets, but if pull-ups helped the bed stay dry, I don't understand why you wouldn't use them. Seems that they would easily be worth the costs, stress she may be facing, and your time and effort hassles and the health-matters with changing sheets.
Thanks again for your post. The she was wearing the pull ups up until the point where they just weren't making it till morning without leaking through. I was still washing sheets weather she wore a pull up or not.
Size wasn't an issue as the largest size pull up still fit her while the ones for older kids (goodnites) didn't quite fit her and were somewhat too big.

Thanks for the suggestion about putting a fan in her room. She has a ceiling fan but I will try a portable one and see if that helps at all.

Thanks,
Laura

Old 09-27-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I don't know that it's a kind of discipline problem that punishment will help and that he can control as he sleeps. It can be something deeper. I've heard if it continues to contact a doctor at about age 6 or 7. BUT, obviously, that isn't working because of the doctor.

I asked a friend who has a child who wets the bed. We had been talking about it being in the family. Not an excuse,but interesting. But not in a sort of straight line. Grandmother did this till 7 or 8. Then her son but not other siblings. Then her daughter's daughter, so not through her son. And no other children of that daughter did this. Then NOT that daughter's children, but that daughter's niece. And so far that niece's daughter is a bit slow getting out of the pull ups. So, in the family but a bit of a zig zag in the line.

The mom gave me a site to look at that will give you some causes and things to think about and investigate.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20366685
Thanks, whats troubling for me is that from what I have read, bedwetting is usually due to a heavy sleeper and the child doesn't wake up when they have the urge to go. She isn't a heavy sleeper at all and the fact that she doesn't wake up before OR after boggles my mind. I do want to say that when I do wake her up in the middle of the night (when she does not have school the next day) she will tell me she doesn't have to go and sometimes wont make the attempt to try. I cant exactly carry her to the bathroom or make her actually go so her refusing to even try aggravates me as well. If she truly wants to stop, than she would make the effort to go to the bathroom when given the opportunity right?
Thanks for the link, I will take a look at it.

Thanks,
Laura
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting