U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 04:05 PM

19,132 posts, read 12,671,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Th4e article says that nearly 3/4 of kids treated for walker injuries in emergency rooms fell down stairs in the walker.

If parents aren't putting a baby gate across a stairwell to protect their kids, it doesn't matter if the kids are in a walker or not; they're at risk of falling down stairs without a walker. Are that many parents really that careless? I don't understand this. And the obvious conclusion from that statistic is not to get rid of the walkers; it's to put a barrier across the stairwell. How could so many parents be unaware of the need for that? Why hasn't that been in the media?
Well, I disagree. Sure, putting a barrier across a stairwell is better than nothing. But accidents happen; people get distracted; people forget; other kids forget. The best way to prevent this is simply not to use one. It really is not necessary. Babies need to crawl, and if an accident happens when a crawling baby falls down the stairs (because someone forgot to latch the baby gate) the injuries will be less horrible by far.

I knew a woman many years ago whose baby son had fallen down the basement stairs in his walker and he died of brain damage in the hospital. Just imagine; she lived the rest of her life with that horrible accident, which she had to have known could have been prevented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 07:39 PM

2,454 posts, read 1,822,895 times
keep the doors closed to the stairs.. Problem solved

Old 10-08-2018, 01:24 AM

8,885 posts, read 10,380,379 times
Quote:
Th4e article says that nearly 3/4 of kids treated for walker injuries in emergency rooms fell down stairs in the walker.

If parents aren't putting a baby gate across a stairwell to protect their kids, it doesn't matter if the kids are in a walker or not; they're at risk of falling down stairs without a walker. Are that many parents really that careless? I don't understand this. And the obvious conclusion from that statistic is not to get rid of the walkers; it's to put a barrier across the stairwell. How could so many parents be unaware of the need for that? Why hasn't that been in the media?
Right, Ruth? Toddlers, babies in walkers, crawlers. Stairs are very dangerous for all of them. We had a baby gate at our stairs when we had our little one. And dadgum those semi-mobile and mobile years between crawling and preschool are very difficult for all parents. I don't think anyone would argue with that.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:59 PM

11,183 posts, read 6,685,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
keep the doors closed to the stairs.. Problem solved
I know we're all perfect parents here on CD, but accidents do happen. Doors get left open by siblings or someone who is only going to be in the basement "for a second", baby gates get knocked put of place, or moved for cleaning... Things happen.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:03 AM

308 posts, read 232,157 times
Why is this thread still going? These things haven't been available for sale in probly 20 years. I have spent a lot of times at yard sales since my daughter was born (she just turned 1 year old) and I've never even seen one.

The article is clearly just a re-hash of something from the 90s someone threw up online for hits.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,290,703 times
I was handed a walker down with my oldest. He did not love it, but he was a very early independent walker. I watched him like a hawk when he was in it, no more than a half step away.

The calls for bans, in my view, are driven by what docs see in the emergency departments and their offices. The item itself might not be devil spawn if used sensibly, but many people don't use them sensibly.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:06 PM

5,661 posts, read 6,527,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
Why is this thread still going? These things haven't been available for sale in probly 20 years.
They are definitely still for sale.

There's two types of baby walkers. The kind that has the baby slung in the middle, surrounded by a plastic ring, and the walk-behind kind where the baby is kind of pushing it like a lawn mower. I think the latter is much safer since the baby can let go.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:14 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,290,703 times
DH and I had a funny conversation about walkers last night. He indicated that they should have 5-point harnesses and a roll cage. But then you could never keep the kids away from the stairs! This is better than the amusement park! Let's go again!

Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

12,510 posts, read 14,672,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
Why is this thread still going? These things haven't been available for sale in probly 20 years. I have spent a lot of times at yard sales since my daughter was born (she just turned 1 year old) and I've never even seen one.

The article is clearly just a re-hash of something from the 90s someone threw up online for hits.
wrong.....they are still available...as treasured hand me downs...and still highly coveted by many.

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

5,578 posts, read 3,422,862 times
Quote:
The article says that nearly 3/4 of kids treated for walker injuries in emergency rooms fell down stairs in the walker.

Well, uh... We never used a walker, but we had three kids and stairs that we never put any kind of gate or barrier across.

We reasoned that the most dangerous combination would be a baby who was unused to negotiating stairs, and a set of stairs with a gate that was usually shut but might accidentally be left open sometime.

So as soon as our first child could crawl--I mean the very day--we taught her to go down stairs backwards. We let her crawl toward the edge, then said "Feet first!", turned her around, and let her slide down on her stomach. It took about ten minutes and from then on she knew how to go down the stairs.

Same thing with our other kids. "Feet first!" and they would turn around and crawl backwards. It was really cute to see them sliding down the stairs on their bellies. My son would get a little carried away and start crawling backwards when the stairs were still six feet away. Then, because he couldn't see where he was going, he would veer sideways and end up somewhere else.

Of course we watched them all closely at first until we knew they were reliable, but we never had a single scary stair incident and also never had to deal with an annoying gate.

It was problematic, though, when my sister brought her two-year-old who had never been allowed to go up and down stairs by himself. Of course he was fascinated by our stairs and we all thought he'd pitch down head-first.

But, OF COURSE...a baby in a walker at the top of the stairs? What kind of idiot would allow that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or