U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

73,308 posts, read 64,890,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, uh... We never used a walker, but we had three kids and stairs that we never put any kind of gate or barrier across.

We reasoned that the most dangerous combination would be a baby who was unused to negotiating stairs, and a set of stairs with a gate that was usually shut but might accidentally be left open sometime.

So as soon as our first child could crawl--I mean the very day--we taught her to go down stairs backwards. We let her crawl toward the edge, then said "Feet first!", turned her around, and let her slide down on her stomach. It took about ten minutes and from then on she knew how to go down the stairs.

Same thing with our other kids. "Feet first!" and they would turn around and crawl backwards. It was really cute to see them sliding down the stairs on their bellies. My son would get a little carried away and start crawling backwards when the stairs were still six feet away. Then, because he couldn't see where he was going, he would veer sideways and end up somewhere else.

Of course we watched them all closely at first until we knew they were reliable, but we never had a single scary stair incident and also never had to deal with an annoying gate.

It was problematic, though, when my sister brought her two-year-old who had never been allowed to go up and down stairs by himself. Of course he was fascinated by our stairs and we all thought he'd pitch down head-first.

But, OF COURSE...a baby in a walker at the top of the stairs? What kind of idiot would allow that?
Good for you; you sound more conscientious than the parents who let their kids race around unsupervised in a walker. That's the problem; some parents aren't watching their kids, then they blame the walkers, instead of themselves. Obviously, a baby in a walker is going to be able to move around a lot faster than without one, and therefore needs closer supervision. And if parents insist on abrogating that responsibility, then they'd better put a barrier across the stairwell. Why is this not a no-brainer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

1,978 posts, read 756,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
keep the doors closed to the stairs.. Problem solved
Yes, or not use the walker upstairs.

Why is this the walker's "fault"? I used walkers with all 4 of mine, put them in at 3mos and by 5mos all could scoot around and loved it.

My home had no stairs but had it had stairs, how easy would it have been to simply never put Baby + walker on the upper level? And ot keep basement door closed and affix a slide bolt up high?

Blows my mind that walkers are "banned" due to sheer stupidity of parents.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

73,308 posts, read 64,890,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post

Why is this the walker's "fault"? I used walkers with all 4 of mine, put them in at 3mos and by 5mos all could scoot around and loved it.

My home had no stairs but had it had stairs, how easy would it have been to simply never put Baby + walker on the upper level? And ot keep basement door closed and affix a slide bolt up high?

Exactly. How is this NOT a no-brainer?

Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM

5,661 posts, read 6,527,507 times
Why are so many people commenting about walkers not being available any more or being "banned"...30 seconds on walmart.com shows that they are still easily available to purchase.

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

5,925 posts, read 7,168,516 times
Goodness. My daughter is 28. Her pediatrician said no baby walker. My brother is 42 and was a late in life surprise for my parents. Even he didn't have a walker because of safety reasons, and he had a really old doctor--ready to retire.

Nothing new here. This has been the recommendation for decades.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

9,439 posts, read 8,812,295 times
Quote:

Exactly! Of course, one must realize that "common sense" isn't that common anymore.

How long will it be before high chairs are banned because they can be knocked over?

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

85,126 posts, read 99,292,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good for you; you sound more conscientious than the parents who let their kids race around unsupervised in a walker. That's the problem; some parents aren't watching their kids, then they blame the walkers, instead of themselves. Obviously, a baby in a walker is going to be able to move around a lot faster than without one, and therefore needs closer supervision. And if parents insist on abrogating that responsibility, then they'd better put a barrier across the stairwell. Why is this not a no-brainer?
I've read numerous comments on numerous message boards about how fast a child can get injured in a walker. One common example is that mom has opened the hot oven and child races over and touches the inside and burns his/her hand. It just takes one little moment of distraction. It's not always a "blame the parent" situation, unless you want to blame the parent for using the walker in the first place.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

1,978 posts, read 756,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I've read numerous comments on numerous message boards about how fast a child can get injured in a walker. One common example is that mom has opened the hot oven and child races over and touches the inside and burns his/her hand. It just takes one little moment of distraction. It's not always a "blame the parent" situation, unless you want to blame the parent for using the walker in the first place.
What idiot Mother would open an oven with a baby in a walker nearby?

The kind of Mother who, if walkers didn't exist, would do something else equally as stupid and Baby would be injured another way. Foolish parenting cannot be fixed by banning a particular item.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,702,199 times
They are banned in Canada now. I used one for both my boys and had no trouble with it.

Some people are just too stupid, too drunk, too stoned or just don't watch their kids, and shouldn't have one of these.

Our basement door had a spring attached at the top so it closed automatically. Unless you disconnected the spring, it could never be left open. For further safety, I also put one of those safety door knob covers on the door to my basement.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

85,126 posts, read 99,292,194 times
Quote:
What idiot Mother would open an oven with a baby in a walker nearby?

The kind of Mother who, if walkers didn't exist, would do something else equally as stupid and Baby would be injured another way. Foolish parenting cannot be fixed by banning a particular item.
Point is, the baby may not have been "nearby" when she opened the oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or