U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 210 times

Advertisements

I agree with the message above. It's not that unusual to see a 3 y.o. act like that. I'd say the key here is to get him something to put all his excessive energy into. We had a somewhat similar issue until we bought our son a toddler's bike - it helped immensely to get him to behave normally.

Maybe your grandson needs something similar? Be it martial arts, painting or something else, it's always a good idea to get children interested in any kind of activity early on. Or hey, get him a bike, too! They come in all kinds of shapes and styles, so it might be tricky to pick a good one right away, but there are dozens of good articles on that subject. Here's the one we used: [url]https://cutelittledarling.com/best-bike-for-2-year-olds/[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 898 times
Hi there, the repeating sounds a bit concerning for that age. Has he been evaluated by a developmental pediatrician? It sounds a bit like autism (I'm not an expert!) but it might be worth getting checked out. Here is a screener you can take to see how he scores:

[url=http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html]Childbrain.com - ASD assessment scale/screening questionnaire[/url]

If you click each question, it can help you answer it if you're confused.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2019, 01:24 AM

10,183 posts, read 8,107,960 times
The OP posted one time and disappeared. I doubt very much if she is still reading here, which is a shame, as there are a number of good suggestions that might help her.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM

17,908 posts, read 22,959,303 times
watch the magic pill on Netflix....

the sugars and processed crap we give our kids … can adversely affect them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMEBUrfP5UI

its not the cure all ...but worth looking at

I had a lady friend with a very very high strung son....borderline many things that have been mentioned in this thread but the kid ate mostly junk food...because he "demanded it"

sometimes I think we are feeding the monsters.. of erratic behaviors... fueled by sugars

Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 PM

75,895 posts, read 67,784,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
watch the magic pill on Netflix....

the sugars and processed crap we give our kids … can adversely affect them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMEBUrfP5UI

its not the cure all ...but worth looking at

I had a lady friend with a very very high strung son....borderline many things that have been mentioned in this thread but the kid ate mostly junk food...because he "demanded it"

sometimes I think we are feeding the monsters.. of erratic behaviors... fueled by sugars
My brother used the sugar excuse to camouflage his (and his wife's) own failure to supervise his kids. When visiting the grandparents, if grandma asked why the kids were running wild around the house, he'd say it's because she fed them some ice cream. Never mind that he never ran wild after eating ice cream or sweets, as a child. And never mind the fact, that those kids always hit the ground running, when they were brought to the grandparents' house, racing up & down stairs, playing with the phones as if they were toys, driving the dogs nuts, getting them all worked up, etc.

I think, that in order for sugar to be a factor in behavior, in most cases it has to be a real excess of it. But as I recall, when we were kids, we din't go nuts after eating some Halloween candy, or after buying a stash of candy at the drugstore with our allowances. Or after a pancakes-and-syrup breakfast with orange juice. So I don't buy this as a theory, except possibly in rare cases. And btw, your video isn't about sugar & kids' behavior at all.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 53 times
My 3 year old step daughter has full blown tantrums every night because she doesn't want to go to bed. Kicking screaming, hitting the bed, the walls ect. It can go on for 20 minutes to 2 hours. She has a schedule, she plays outside, plays games and does lots of arts and crafts and has a healthy diet. We have tried time out, spanking, taking toys and privileges but nothing phases her. I believe there is some sort of disorder present as I have 2 other children and neither acted this way. I am going to take her to a neurodevelopmental pediatrician for evaluation. This can't be normal. She is beginning to disrupt our entire house hold. My two older children can't sleep because of all the noise. I really love my husband but have considered moving out for the sake of my other children. Any advice?

Old 03-05-2019, 09:18 PM

15,693 posts, read 17,434,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toooldtomother View Post
My 3 year old step daughter has full blown tantrums every night because she doesn't want to go to bed. Kicking screaming, hitting the bed, the walls ect. It can go on for 20 minutes to 2 hours. She has a schedule, she plays outside, plays games and does lots of arts and crafts and has a healthy diet. We have tried time out, spanking, taking toys and privileges but nothing phases her. I believe there is some sort of disorder present as I have 2 other children and neither acted this way. I am going to take her to a neurodevelopmental pediatrician for evaluation. This can't be normal. She is beginning to disrupt our entire house hold. My two older children can't sleep because of all the noise. I really love my husband but have considered moving out for the sake of my other children. Any advice?
Wait until you get the results of the developmental pediatrician's evaluation. S/he will probably recommend particular therapies.

Some things to try though:
1. Reward rather than punish.
2. Talk softly rather than yelling - you may find this will get her attention better.
3. You may want to move her bedtime either a bit later or a bit earlier. Experiment with this consistently for about 2 weeks at a time. You may need to not allow a late afternoon nap even in the car or the stroller.
4. Avoid working on sleep if you are working on potty training - one thing at a time is best.
5. If she is waking up after going to sleep consider that she may be having nightmares or night terrors. Three is a prime age for this.
6. Try Playful parenting techniques. Try a massage. Try some sleep books like The Sleepy Reader by David Beck. Other books: Bedtime is Cancelled by Cece Meng and Aurelie Neyret, The Berenstain Bearsí Bedtime Battle, by Stan Berenstain and Jan Berenstain, How to Put Your Parents to Bed, by Mylisa Larsen and Babette Cole, Pirateís Lullaby: Mutiny at Bedtime, by Marcie Wessels and Tim Bowers, Dinosaur vs. Bedtime, by Bob Shea, I Donít Want to Go to Bed!, by Julie Sykes and Tim Warnes and Orion and the Dark, by Emma Yarlett. You may find that this gets her amused so she forgets to tantrum. You may need to read and then lie with her for a bit until she is sleepy enough to actually go to sleep.

Good luck.
If she does have a developmental delay, you may want to look into Applied Behavioral Analysis therapy. It is expensive, but it has helped my autistic grandson quite a lot.

Old Today, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 53 times
Wow!!! Awesome thanks so much!!! Thanks for all the books suggestions!!! We do read her a book bit that leads to a fit because she wants another and then another. It's always something. She will bring up a toy that she lost 6 months ago and have a fit about that. I will certainly try backing her bedtime up a bit earlier!
Thank you!!!

Old Today, 11:55 AM

15,693 posts, read 17,434,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toooldtomother View Post
Wow!!! Awesome thanks so much!!! Thanks for all the books suggestions!!! We do read her a book bit that leads to a fit because she wants another and then another. It's always something. She will bring up a toy that she lost 6 months ago and have a fit about that. I will certainly try backing her bedtime up a bit earlier!
Thank you!!!
For that set expectations before you read:

We will read 1 book or 2 books or 3 books. Then have something to do after reading. Also, let her choose at least one of the books you will read.

After we read your books, we can play with playdoh (or whatever she loves). If it is bedtime, say after the books, we go to sleep.

Validate her feelings. I know you really want to read more books and I am glad that you like books, but it is late and we all need our rest. I know you loved that toy and I am sorry that it got lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or