U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 05:46 PM

2,431 posts, read 1,794,361 times

Advertisements

I babysit a 3yr. old boy and his little sister. He's sure a bundle of energy. I take him outside as much as possible. Although rainy days makes it harder and I try to be creative to keep him busy or think of ideas to keep him busy in a positive way. I don't take him anywhere since I'm not comfortable driving around other parents' kids.

As far as discipline, follow through, always. It makes things much easier. I also have a 3yr. old niece and I've noticed she's better behaved with me than her Grandma because I always follow through when she misbehaves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 AM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
okay sit your daughter down and have a come to Jesus meeting . Tell her my house , my rules if you don't like it too bad or find your own place . This child needs some paddle to the butt moments and she had better start getting that child in order or your house and your life will become a living nightmare . Tell her now don't wait . One of two things will happen she will move out or she will learn to discipline her child . It is real simple . I don't know why some parents don't know how to handle their adult kids and grandkids . Either way something has to be done you don't deserve to live like that and neither does your spouse or daughter . She has allowed this behavior to go on time to put a stop to it .

Old 10-08-2018, 08:31 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,170,189 times
I have a 5 year old, 4 year old and 3 year old. For my youngest and oldest, 3 was/is the worst- worse than "terrible twos" in my opinion.

My oldest was a lot like how you described, and still can be occasionally. However, once I really identified some potential triggers and made some changes, I saw huge improvements:

1) Limiting Sugar and HFCS. In seemingly "safe" foods here in the U.S, there is often unnecessary amounts of sugar. It is a bit more effort on my part, but limiting all of our sugar intake seems to have had some improvement. Obviously, you can't avoid it entirely, and occasional treats are fine, but otherwise we don't keep candy or sugar laden snack foods or drinks in the house usually. Processed foods too are limited.

2) Ensuring he's getting enough sleep- we pushed bedtime back an hour earlier and it didn't actually change his wake up time. A full 11+ hours seems to help him wake up in a better mood.

3) Limiting screen time. There's a book called Reset Your Child's Brain and after reading it a year ago, I sort to implement tighter restrictions on TV/Electronic devices. The change wasn't immediate, but after a couple of weeks I definitely started seeing a change in his temperament.

4) Sticking to routines. I was never much one for a very scheduled day, but I've found that a more structured day (even when we have days at home) work for him. Even with siblings, some of his antics and behavior were due to boredom. Lots of outdoor, active play is also important. We go out a lot, whether it to be playgrounds, the library, play dates or local attractions, too, so that we can all socialize. My children are normally better behaved in public than at home!

I assume you stay at home with him while his mother works? If that's the case, ask his mom to give you a dollar amount each week to take him to a few places. Obviously, parks are free, but often museums and other places have special children's events for preschoolers which may be enjoyable for him.

Good luck to you! ♡

Old 10-08-2018, 11:10 AM

440 posts, read 328,622 times
Has this child been evaluated by a professional for problems beyond his control, which may very well be behind much of his unwanted behavior . . . ? This site lists the various possible causes, including environmental & psychological & biological:

"What Causes Children to Misbehave?
https://www.parentcoachplan.com/misbehavior.php

Old 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM

19,879 posts, read 36,379,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
he sounds like a sugar junkie having withdrawls..
how much candy a day how much soda .. junk food? all those things can add up to out of control child .. oh and he is bored to tears .. he needs some hard physical activity.. outside .. running and playing hard .. give him some chores let him dig a "big huge hole" ( to him ) in the yard and find rocks to fill t up with then put the dirt back.. TIRE HIM OUT.. get him a trike or a trampoline anything to burn off the energy

FWIW, repeated studies over years have shown that, in double blind studies, sugar has an effect on toddlers of making them sleepy. On other kids, it has no effect. The researchers in the initial study, who expected a very different result, were afraid initially to tell the parents who were just SURE little Johnny's misbehavior was because of sugar, not parenting or anything else, and would be furious with them. (They were partially correct.)

I agree absolutely that he needs to burn off energy. Three year olds have a LOT of energy (though most do not misbehave to the extent described here and there are clearly other issues at work).

Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM

972 posts, read 278,864 times
If he's sort of new to you, as in new to living at your house full time, you could have him examined for a psychological disorder and also emotional issues. (missing dad, missing home, a pet whatever).

Have some professional info done for you and your daughter and anyone else in the house on how to deal with things after the workups.

He may just need a very active preschool but sounds like things could have gone a tad far so that you all could need guidance in moving forward.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:28 PM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times
If its your daughter and her son, I’m assuming there’s no father figure? Somebody needs a firm hand with this kid and it should have happened 2 years ago, but since it didn’t, it’s not too late.
If you and your daughter do not know how to parent a badly behaved boy, you need to get outside help, sooner rather than later.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:35 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,482,020 times
Have they ALWAYS lived with you? Or, did once upon a time, he had a mom AND a dad in the picture, and now he doesn't? Does he see his dad on a regular basis?

Old 10-08-2018, 03:38 PM

619 posts, read 223,627 times
too many questions and no response for adequate answers.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:43 PM

7,030 posts, read 8,191,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballera3 View Post
My 3 year old grandson and his mother live with us. My grandson is out of control and I'm going crazy. Heaven forbid I should have to go to the bathroom when I'm watching him because I'll come out to find my 4 footstools piled on top of each other on my coffee table and him trying to climb to the top. Or he's angry because he wants to be in the bathroom with you and he's kicking the door to be let in the entire time. If you give him a snack and it's in a wrapper you will find the wrapper on the floor - no matter how many times he's asked to put it in the garbage. And if you don't to what he wants RIGHT NOW he will scream and a pitch a fit until you either want to scream back at him or heaven forbid think about slapping his mouth. Sometimes even though he's acknowledged when he talks to you he repeats himself over and over and over and after you've answered him over and over and over trying to not get annoyed he keeps going. My furniture is being destroyed - I accept that with an active child there will be some dents and scratches, such is life. But when he's purposely destroying my things because I won't give him a piece of candy or a cookie and he's striking out - sometimes he will take a swing at you because he's not getting his way.... Could use some advise before I go nuts....... I'm exhausted.
Sounds like you need to kick him and your daughter out of the house. She has a child it's time to grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or