Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

what I got when I was raising her. She is 55, and her graduate is moving back into her house with a "know it all attitude"...that is what 4 yrs of college and all the peer pressures have done, and of course social media.

My daughter has set down rules of the house and thank goodness she knows about ToughLove and from years of work on herself thru therapy and AA work. I wish them peace and comfort and for my grandgirl to find her own way without all the pressures. And that she will wake up to the negatives of vegan diet. She's sick a lot and I believe not getting the nutrients her body needs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 03:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
what I got when I was raising her. She is 55, and her graduate is moving back into her house with a "know it all attitude"...that is what 4 yrs of college and all the peer pressures have done, and of course social media.

My daughter has set down rules of the house and thank goodness she knows about ToughLove and from years of work on herself thru therapy and AA work. I wish them peace and comfort and for my grandgirl to find her own way without all the pressures. And that she will wake up to the negatives of vegan diet. She's sick a lot and I believe not getting the nutrients her body needs...
The Vegan diet can be very healthy.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-diet-benefits

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/articl.../1627S/4596952

There are obviously some shortcomings to a Vegan diet, but these can be overcome.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Grandgirl is overeating lbs of veggies...and putting on weight. Her mother finally confronted her about her weight gain, probably 20 lbs in a couple yrs and we'll see. Also, she exercises excessively...it's all about moderation and balance and grandgirl is out of balance. NOW...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-21-2019 at 04:03 PM..

Old 06-22-2019, 01:54 PM

731 posts, read 766,744 times
Sounds like she may be eating some non vegan food if she's gained weight. Let her eat what she wants.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:09 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
I’ve known some vegans who had to start adding some protein to their diet such as eggs and cheese cause they were getting sick. I don’t think it’s good for everyone and just because it’s vegan or vegetarian doesn’t mean it’s nonfat. I’ve known some heavy vegetarians.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:21 PM

438 posts, read 376,050 times
Quote:
Grandgirl is overeating lbs of veggies...and putting on weight. Her mother finally confronted her about her weight gain, probably 20 lbs in a couple yrs and we'll see. Also, she exercises excessively...it's all about moderation and balance and grandgirl is out of balance. NOW...
Eating nothing but vegetables and over exercising doesn't sound like something that would result in weight gain. And most individuals I know who enter a vegan lifestyle usually lose too much weight before they find a way to regulate their bodies needs with the new diet.

Make sure your granddaughter is getting proper advice from a real nutritionist and have her visit her doctor to see about how her body can best work on a vegan diet. But there is nothing wrong about eating vegan as long as you manage your protein intake and take note of the nutrients you bring in. And different people have different needs for working out. If your granddaughter is gaining weight despite eating a vegan diet she might feel the need to lose the pounds (as it seems you and her mother pointed it out as a negative) so that easily explains the "over exercising".

I agree that moderation is everything, but you also have to let her live her life. Lifestyle changes like veganism can be short term, but insightful for the individual and as long as she's not harming your life or herself (and getting the proper nutrients, which clearly she seems to be maintaining. Her weight could be added muscle mass from working out).

Eventually she'll get motivated by new things and move her attention there. But even if this is her new routine try to concentrate less on the things you aren't familiar with or necessarily think is what you'll do and see why she's interested in working out and trying the vegan lifestyle.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Sounds like she may be eating some non vegan food if she's gained weight. Let her eat what she wants.
There could be other reasons too... she may have PCOS or she may on medications or long-term birth control that has caused weight gain. In many cases they can make it very hard to lose the weight. I had a friend who gained a lot of weight in college/grad school and it turned out to be PCOS. When she realized that, it helped her figure out the best way to lose weight.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:26 PM

249 posts, read 195,643 times
Quote:

I think you two need to support your vegan. If that lifestyle is a bad choice, she'll need to feel she can trust you if she fails--not feel like you'll think "I told you so."

Try to learn more about it from her--and encourage your daughter not to confront her about any weight gain; that approach isn't usually perceived as helpful by those who feel "confronted."

Old 06-23-2019, 06:35 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
This.

And Lord, if the daughter is 55, how old is the granddaughter???? House rules and confronting an adult about weight gain?

I can only imagine the home life- diet, therapy, vegan, non-vegan, weight gain, tough love talk constantly...

Old 06-23-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
This.

And Lord, if the daughter is 55, how old is the granddaughter???? House rules and confronting an adult about weight gain?

I can only imagine the home life- diet, therapy, vegan, non-vegan, weight gain, tough love talk constantly...
It's not constant my grandgirl was gone for 4 yrs and is back home after living on campus with a lot of new peer pressures and influences she didn't have before she left home for school. She's 22 and until she can will live at home with mom and when her brother graduates he'll probably be back there too....how many young people are coming out of college and landing great jobs and able to pay the high costs of housing today?

Many here are choosing to read into what I'm not writing.

You make it sound like a 55 yr old doesn't have a grown child////what's that about.

My daughter just the other day helped her move back in and saw the mess of an apt 5-6 girls lived in for 4 yrs...so daughter needed to lay down rules.

Reading other posts about parents who have grown children running all over them is not what my daughter will allow....

Back in ancient times girls especially lived at home until they got married and could be boys too..being out on one's own was not a thing back then. We paid our rent at home and did our share of the housework.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-23-2019 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting