U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 AM

5,958 posts, read 3,392,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
She can spend "time with two or three kids" while the others are doing their lessons can she not???
According to Harpaint it takes less than 20 minutes per day.
Many teachers where I live now have teachers aids....can't THEY spend 20 minutes per day teaching these children so that they won't fall behind?

I believe the real problems with learning for children began when "whole language" instead of "phonetics" became the mandated curriculum.
Before that ,there were far less children having problems learning to read.

I tutored the 3rd graders in reading as a volunteer, not as a paid teacher or aid. The students all came from troubled households with little appropriate childcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 PM

15,380 posts, read 17,006,919 times
Quote:
She can spend "time with two or three kids" while the others are doing their lessons can she not???
According to Harpaint it takes less than 20 minutes per day.
Many teachers where I live now have teachers aids....can't THEY spend 20 minutes per day helping these children so that they won't fall behind?..in the class...during the lesson?

I believe the real problems with learning for children began when "whole language" instead of "phonetics" became the mandated curriculum.
Before that ,there were far less children having problems learning to read.

As for "handling it yourself", that's definitely happening...more and more parents are teaching their kids at home...if not for all the schooling, at least for the first few grades so that they KNOW their child has learned the basics.

It's not "whining" to point out the inadequacy of the teacher, nor the curicullum, especially when our taxes are paying for it.
In general, no the teacher cannot do this as she must supervise the entire class.

Most places don't have teacher aids in the regular classroom although they may have a push in aid for special education students.

Students who qualify can get help from special ed aids or teachers or go to the resource room for small group instruction. Sometimes parent volunteers can also help.

You have to realize that the children who are falling behind are often not from homes where the parent can give much help.

The problem is not whole language vs phonics although it has been framed this way. Both are necessary since English has many words that don't break down phonetically. For example: the, eye, are, who, said, says, friend, guest, again, sure, ocean, issue, sugar, four, floor and door. Many sight words occur quite frequently and memorizing them helps kids read fluently.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:36 AM

12,554 posts, read 14,715,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I tutored the 3rd graders in reading as a volunteer, not as a paid teacher or aid. The students all came from troubled households with little appropriate childcare.
Good for you Harpaint...there should be more of you
Unfortunately it's not just kids from "troubled households with little appropriate childcare" that are falling through these large [cracks].

Old 11-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

The problem is not whole language vs phonics although it has been framed this way. Both are necessary since English has many words that don't break down phonetically. For example: the, eye, are, who, said, says, friend, guest, again, sure, ocean, issue, sugar, four, floor and door. Many sight words occur quite frequently and memorizing them helps kids read fluently.
As a child going through elementary school, whole language was not even a consideration...it was ALL about phonetics, and yes, the children DID learn the words that you say "don't break down phonetically"...Once they learned the phonetics FIRST, and the different sounds the vowels can make.... there was no stopping them.
There were FAR FAR less children with so called learning difficulties when phonetics were taught first.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
As a child going through elementary school, whole language was not even a consideration...it was ALL about phonetics, and yes, the children DID learn the words that you say "don't break down phonetically"...Once they learned the phonetics FIRST, and the different sounds the vowels can make.... there was no stopping them.
There were FAR FAR less children with so called learning difficulties when phonetics were taught first.
I learned to read on my own at 3 years old, so I cannot say that phonics did me any good. My son who has dyslexia also did not learn with phonics. I think this very much depends on the child and how they learn. I just learned from reading books. My dad bought me a new book every week from the dime store.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I learned to read on my own at 3 years old, so I cannot say that phonics did me any good. My son who has dyslexia also did not learn with phonics. I think this very much depends on the child and how they learn. I just learned from reading books. My dad bought me a new book every week from the dime store.
Yes...I agree with "I think this very much depends on the child and how they learn".
For it NOT to depend on the child and how he/she learns... phonetics would assure that they do.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yes...I agree with "I think this very much depends on the child and how they learn".
For it NOT to depend on the child and how he/she learns... phonetics would assure that they do.
Not true. Not all children can learn from phonetics.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Not true. Not all children can learn from phonetics.
Any child that is able to attend school...can.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,945,447 times
Quote:
My son has a processing disorder. He did not learn to read by phonetics as he has a problem with how his brain processes what he hears.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
This is not true. Kids with dyslexia often don't *get* phonics. Kids with autism attend school and don't learn in the same way as most kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or