U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:40 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,152,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
She can spend "time with two or three kids" while the others are doing their lessons can she not???
According to Harpaint it takes less than 20 minutes per day.
Many teachers where I live now have teachers aids....can't THEY spend 20 minutes per day helping these children so that they won't fall behind?..in the class...during the lesson?

I believe the real problems with learning for children began when "whole language" instead of "phonetics" became the mandated curriculum.
Before that ,there were far less children having problems learning to read.

As for "handling it yourself", that's definitely happening...more and more parents are teaching their kids at home...if not for all the schooling, at least for the first few grades so that they KNOW their child has learned the basics.

It's not "whining" to point out the inadequacy of the teacher, nor the curicullum, especially when our taxes are paying for it.
1) All the public schools I know of are back to teaching phonics. The public school that some of my children attend teaches phonics, sight words, vocabulary, comprehension, spelling, and grammar, starting in Kindergarten. (Granted we live in a super great school district with matching super high property taxes.)

2) Most classes have about 20 kids. 20 minutes per kid (1 on 1) is 400 minutes, or 6.67 hours. And as you pointed out, the teacher only has them for 6 hours a day. So it is, literally, impossible for a teacher to spend 20 minutes with each child each day. And teachers' aids are generally stay at home moms who volunteered for a day to come in and help the teacher make photocopies and such. They aren't supposed to actually do any teaching.

3) You mention your taxes are paying for public schools. Yes. Every person I know pays the absolute minimum in taxes that they are required to pay. And aside from the minimum taxes that they pay, the public school is free. Well, you get what you pay for. If you want something more than the minimum, then either pay more (private school, tutors, or a super great school district with matching super high property taxes), or do it yourself. The rest of us are not here on this earth just to give you freebies. If you only pay the minimum and put in no extra effort, then your children are only going to get the minimum education. That's just life.

Public school is intended to give every citizen at least the *minimum* acceptable, fair, and appropriate education. More than that is up to the parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or