U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:23 PM

21,588 posts, read 14,193,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
has he been tested for ADD/ADHD?

When my son was your son's age, he was much the same way. I had to sit right next to him, and redirect him constantly. We'd get through one homework question, and then we'd have to redirect again. This will probably improve over time, but it might get worse before it gets better.

I know it's controversial whether to take meds or not...but my son did. He took ritalin. It made a giant huge difference for him. He WAS able to concentrate, and his grades improved.

If you haven't gotten him tested for ADD/ADHD...consider doing so.

Oh...my son was diagnosed FIRST as ADHD, and then later, with Asperger's.
Grandson struggled with reading, and still is not as fluent as I would like him to be. He does take ritalin, the lowest dose, which did help him in early grades as he had trouble with attention. He has had tutoring as well.

You say the school has diagnosed your son, but my understanding is that diagnosis should come from doctor. If you have not had him evaluated (your OP was not clear) he should be evaluated, for sure.

You say he is not doing as well as he could be, but he might really be doing the best he can. If the school recommends retention, then I'd consider doing this seriously. Another option might be home schooling or a private school that teaches autistic kids, if you have access to one.

I know these are hard choices. I want to wish you good luck as you advocate for your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or