U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:45 PM

24,870 posts, read 59,936,472 times

Advertisements

We have identical twins. They are now grown.

When we were engaged, we often saw people with twins and ran out to them to see and told them "aawww how cool is that? We want to have twins!" They responded: "trust me, no you don't just have one at a time and space them out a lot" We later discussed this and consistently said there sure are a lot of horrible people out there who do not seem to like their own babies.

When we later got pregnant, we were disappointed after our first ultrasound to learn there was only one. We knew it was astronomically unlikely but we still thought we wanted twins. It would be so cool.

Then my wife had an alpha feta protein test. It came back high. Really really high. More than double what it should be.

They sent us in for "genetic Counselling when they explained spinal biffida (I think - long time ago). They said with this high a level our baby probably had a hole in its skull with the brain exposed or most of the spine was exposed. Either way it would not likely live more than a few minutes after birth. Then they showed us some videos about the great benefits from donating the baby for spare parts as soon as it dies and gave us some forms and materials and asked us to consider it. They told us they would take my wife in for a super powerful ultra sound that would look at the baby inch by inch and find the hole or the missing parts. I had to wait outside the room.

The lady started the ultrasound and my wife saw it was different than the last one. "What are all those circles" she asked? the lady gasped and exclaimed "We need to get your husband in here!" and ran out of the room. When I came in, my wife was sobbing. She figured it must be something really horrible from the lady's reaction. I was upset that my wife was distressed. I demanded to know what was wrong. The lady pointed at the group of circles on the screen and said "Well we have two heads." Images of a two headed baby on the cover of national enquirer flashed through my head. then I remembered, maybe Siamese twins that could be cut apart. "Are there two bodies?" I asked. "Of course there are, it is twins! Congratulations" Horror turned to joy in less than a second.

The twins heartbeats were perfectly in sync so they only heard one heartbeat (this is unusual I guess). For the first ultrasound they were right on top of each other, so the ultrasound only detected one baby. Basic ultrasounds were not very good back then (1990). the doctors never considered the possibility of twins.

Later we would walk around our town or in the shopping mall with our adorable twins in a double stroller or our signature Red Ryder wagon (we went everywhere with them in that wagon), and people would come running up to us and exclaim "We want to have twins."

"No you don't. Trust me, you don't"

They looked at us appalled and stalked away. We just smiled knowingly. Last year, we were you. This happened dozens of times.

Another funny thing, we lived in Balboa California, a beach community. We hung out at the beach a lot and girls in bikinis would crowd around us to coo and aww over the twins. Pretty much every girl on the beach. My friends repeatedly begged me to loan or even rent the twins to them for an afternoon at the beach. They were mostly joking but one guy got kind of mad when I said NFW.

He begged pleaded cajoled. finally I got my wife to agree I could take the twins to the beach with him and she would stay home. He got two dates in as many hours. Previously he had not gotten two dates in two months. After that everyone demanded equal treatment. My wife put an end to that. "Our babies are not pimps!"

The other advantage is everyone felt sorry for the young couple jut staring out and trying to raise twins. gifts and offers of help showered on us like rain in Seattle. We did not have to buy anything for the twins until they were about five years old. the later kids benefited too since we already had two of everything you could possibly need or want for a baby.

When they were about 3, they were so cute they made people want to dry just watching them. Curly blonde hair, bright brilliant blue eyes and very active and precocious. they were constant chatterers. They developed their own language to talk to each other, and they taught us their language was we taught them English. Some of their words remained in our family for years and years. the only thing I remember is a pen, pencil or crayon was called a "Loo" and any sweet treat was "gigi." Everyone is grown now but sometimes we still hear, I want some gigi when we are out with any of our kids.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-15-2018 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM

The first year was much harder than a single baby (we had three singles subsequently). But after that, much easier. Single babies require Mom or Dad to engage them pretty much all the time. tins engage each other. They would entertain themselves just staring at each other for hours. On of them would scream whenever her plug was removed (Pacifier). The other massively enjoyed pulling out her sister'slug, watching he scream and then sticking it back in for silence, then pulling it out again. She could stay entertained like that for hours as well.

Another advantage is movies and TV shows like to use twins for baby actors because a child is only allowed to work two hours a day (or maybe it was four). Also if one was cranky, they could substitute the other in until the first calmed down. they interviewed for a lot of commercials but never got cast. they were the front runners for one movie (Undercover Blues), but we got lost and arrived late for the final screen test. Still we got to me a lot of famous movie stars and producers and the like. It was fun. Sometimes we got paid a little just for bringing them to a tryout. The lead guy from Undercover Blues adored them and even though we arrived too late, he asked if he could hang out a while and play with them. It was really cute. edit: Dennis Quaid - super nice guy.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-15-2018 at 03:09 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 03:00 PM

5,096 posts, read 7,292,204 times
I have twins!!

Doesn’t skip in my family. My grandmother had twin sisters, she had twins, one of her daughters has twins, and I have them too.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I have twins!!

Doesn’t skip in my family. My grandmother had twin sisters, she had twins, one of her daughters has twins, and I have them too.
Identical twins tend to skip. Fraternal can be every generation as it depends on the propensity to drop multiple eggs rather than an egg splitting in two. Every generation identical is unusual, but it does happen.

We have no known twins in our family. However my wife's mother was adopted, so we learned she may have a twin out there someplace. No information was available though, so she will never know.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

309 posts, read 197,214 times
We have fraternal b/g (you'd be surprised how many people think opposite gender twins can be identical) two month old twins. I love them to death but this is far and away the hardest thing I've ever done. We would be screwed without my mother in law, who stays a couple of nights a week to let us get a little sleep).

We conceived them through IVF, although my wife's father is a fraternal twin. They came at 35 weeks, and our daughter spent about 2 weeks in the NICU and our son a little over a month. They are happy and healthy now, minus the reflux.

Old Today, 07:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,633,477 times
I have two sets of twins. All fraternal girls. No other twins in my family that I know of. They are 22 and 19. And I have bookends...my oldest & my youngest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or