U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,321,209 times

Advertisements

My girl wasn't interested in team sports either and really didn't do any sports until 8th grade. She tried soccer, but that wasn't her jam. She did swimming and cross in high school and loved these, going on to do several triathlons.

Like others have said, maybe try an individual type sport. If he's naturally competitive and athletic he will probably do fine with the team sports, but if not you need to think about starting from another angle so he doesn't lose interest completely. I like swimming and running because that's something you can keep doing for life. My daughter is in college now, but she swims a mile or two whenever possible at the student sports center.

On the other hand, he may not like sports at all. Maybe robotics or band is more is style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:44 PM

9,627 posts, read 7,629,801 times
Look for a sport that he can continue as an adult. Golf, tennis, badminton, ice-skating, kayaking, canoeing, swimming, that sort of thing. Non-competitive sports are okay, too.

If you think he might develop an interest in and talent for basketball under the right circumstances, take him to a high school or college game and watch college games on TV with him and see if he's bored or if the excitement catches him.

Otherwise - look for non-team sports that have a longer shelf-life.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:46 PM

658 posts, read 225,169 times
The only physical thing he has ever been interested in is dodge ball and kickball-but it's all about the fun for him. He is not competitive. I mainly wanted him doing something for his social and physical fitness.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:47 PM

2,036 posts, read 946,996 times
Maybe he is interested in other things. Have you thought about getting him involved in a drama club or maybe learning a musical instrument? Drama in particular can be great for meeting friends and coming out of your shell

Old 10-24-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Maybe he is interested in other things. Have you thought about getting him involved in a drama club or maybe learning a musical instrument? Drama in particular can be great for meeting friends and coming out of your shell
nope, he's not interested. He would stay on youtube all day if I let him.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:11 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,397,515 times
He doesn't have to be involved in team sports. My son never liked them, except for his high school's Ultimate Frisbee team, because he's tall and a good runner. However, he has always loved long-distance running and technical mountaineering, and he bicycled to and from school even through high school. So he's always gotten plenty of exercise. He agreed to go to a week-long soccer camp with a friend when they were in 5th grade; it did nothing for him, so that was that. He was always very motivated and persistent at activities he enjoyed, like music (got a graduate degree in it) and chess (is a National Master), so he's just wired more for solo or small group endeavors. I always said playing in a 64-piece orchestra in school was his "team sport."

Old 10-24-2018, 07:17 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,444,432 times
Go with lifelong sports for whole family for both fun & exercise...
water ski, downhill snow ski or board, cross country ski, golf, tennis, swim, roller skate, ice skate, skate board, cycling, running--3k,5k work up to marathons.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:38 PM

Thanks so much for all the great advice!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:15 PM

8,089 posts, read 4,446,122 times
why? some people are just not sports fans, I hated sports growing up.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:38 PM

5,808 posts, read 3,295,904 times
IMO the biggest favor parents can do for their kids is to encourage them in the things they (the kids) are interested in and good at. Pushing the parent's interests is counterproductive and may in the end prevent the child from using his real talents. When they get to HS, only the "best" can participate anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or