U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:52 PM

6,412 posts, read 2,334,503 times

Advertisements

Find a different sport if he's not interested in basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 PM

12,389 posts, read 13,081,092 times
why would you push him into something he's not interested in?

think about your job. would you want to be pushed into a job you are not interested in?

think about your hobbies and leisure activities. would you want to be pushed into hobbies and leisure activities you are not interested in?

how about pay attention to your actual son who is actually in front of you, and take your cues from his interests. show an interest in what he is interested in. listen to him. take your cue from that.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 PM

15,556 posts, read 9,642,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?

I see it all the time where some jock father tries to get his son interested in sports, and the kid has no interest in it. Seems like the father wants to live vicariously through his kid. You can not force a kid to do something they have no interest in, like sports. You can suggest it, try to encourage them, but if they are not interested, they will only do it because you pushed for it.

Let the boy find his own interests, and encourage him to do what HE likes. You have your life, let him have his.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 AM
Status: "I used to have a lead foot, but now it's aluminum." (set 12 days ago)

5,296 posts, read 3,672,327 times
Take him to a game. Buy a basketball and take him to a court and shoot hoops with him. Heck, show his video clips of Michael Jordan in his hey day. But don't force him to play a sport competitively that he has little or not interest in. Other kids will pcik up on that as well as him probably not being up to their level.

In short, let your kid be himself.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:25 AM

72,633 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?
Maybe he's not interested in team sports, but might be interested in something else. A bike club? Skateboarding? Canoeing/kayaking? Sailing?

Old 10-25-2018, 02:39 AM

6,893 posts, read 4,221,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
IMO the biggest favor parents can do for their kids is to encourage them in the things they (the kids) are interested in and good at. Pushing the parent's interests is counterproductive and may in the end prevent the child from using his real talents. When they get to HS, only the "best" can participate anyway.
This.

Not all kids are into team sports. Maybe he'll find some other activity that piques his interest.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 AM

399 posts, read 125,400 times
I promise that I'm not getting paid by the fellow equine community, but have you considered seeing if he'd be into horseback riding lessions?

Old 10-25-2018, 04:48 AM

399 posts, read 125,400 times
Do you have a family dog that has energy to spare? Maybe your son getting into training and competing with the dog in agility matches could be his thing?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:59 AM

3,323 posts, read 3,259,105 times
Kids who don't have a strong talent in a skilled sport sometimes find their niche in X-country running.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 AM

331 posts, read 150,980 times
As others have said, I don't think pushing your son into team sports is really going to work, especially at that age. I understand your desire to get him into something active though. What about karate? Or one of those ninja gyms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or