U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:07 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,812,001 times

Advertisements

It doesn't really sound like you're pushing him that hard, there's nothing wrong with letting him try it out and seeing if he likes it. My son is younger but isn't big into sports. Baseball and soccer bored him to tears. He tried basketball last year and liked it. We got a hoop for the driveway and he likes to practice to kill time or to spend time with his dad. Here basketball seems to be the one sport parents haven't become obsessed with so it's very low pressure and the kids can still have fun.

I think the best thing about at least getting a little bit of instruction is that there's basketball hoops everywhere and kids might actually play it on their own sometimes, so I think it's good to get to know the basics. If your son hates it I wouldn't force it. But encouraging him to try it for a season could be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 08:15 AM

13,132 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?
Why force him into an extracurricular activity he doesn't want to do? He may prefer a solitary activity. Many parents assume all kids are gregarious and want to join sports teams. Many don't. Why not ask him what he wants?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:20 AM

8,089 posts, read 4,446,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
When they get to HS, only the "best" can participate anyway.
when I got to HS, only the parents booster club kids would get on the team, the same 11 for football, baseball. basketball. It was all money

Old 10-25-2018, 08:24 AM

818 posts, read 319,628 times
I think either I kid is into sports or they are not. I would say he should do something active, but not necessarily competitive sports, unless it's maybe just a fun league type of thing. My son is the opposite, he is super competitive and plays the highest levels on the sports team he is on, he works out a lot and would practice every day if he could. But it's all him, he is self directed and it's what he wants. I think all kids should be in some kind of active activity though.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:44 AM

9,833 posts, read 5,715,842 times
Why can't he pick what he wants to do for activities?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM

658 posts, read 225,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why force him into an extracurricular activity he doesn't want to do? He may prefer a solitary activity. Many parents assume all kids are gregarious and want to join sports teams. Many don't. Why not ask him what he wants?
I know what he wants...to stay on youtube ALL day! That aint happening.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I think either I kid is into sports or they are not. I would say he should do something active, but not necessarily competitive sports, unless it's maybe just a fun league type of thing. My son is the opposite, he is super competitive and plays the highest levels on the sports team he is on, he works out a lot and would practice every day if he could. But it's all him, he is self directed and it's what he wants. I think all kids should be in some kind of active activity though.
Yeah, that's awesome. My son is not that self directed. My husband said he was the same way. He put himself into all kinds of sports. We might try a family bowling league or something.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 AM

9,080 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I know what he wants...to stay on youtube ALL day! That aint happening.
Get him a dog and a camera and tell him to make YouTube videos

Its easy to block YouTube... Cut it out of your internet service, but you'd have to put up with it too. Can't tell kid not to do something if you do it when he isn't watching

Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why can't he pick what he wants to do for activities?
He does have the freedom to choose. He said he wanted to try basketball, that's why we signed up. During evaluations, he said he was bored and wanted to quit. Hasn't even played the first game. I don't care what the activity is, as long as it is something active.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Get him a dog and a camera and tell him to make YouTube videos

Its easy to block YouTube... Cut it out of your internet service, but you'd have to put up with it too. Can't tell kid not to do something if you do it when he isn't watching
I work from home and that isn't an option. He wants his own youtube channel and has aspirations of being a pro-youtuber. I don't mind him getting on sometimes, but he gets addicted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or