U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:52 AM

9,080 posts, read 3,697,658 times

Advertisements

You sure he doesn't dislike sports because of the competition? Sign him up for a beer league (not sure what they are called) where people play for fun and not competition.

A lot of school/kid teams play with a goal of winning the game. The beer teams play for fun, they drink beer while waiting for their turn to bat, etc. Kids can join minus the drinking... They get soda instead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_league
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 AM

13,132 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I know what he wants...to stay on youtube ALL day! That aint happening.
Haha. Good for you!

Old 10-25-2018, 09:06 AM

9,833 posts, read 5,715,842 times
Quote:
He does have the freedom to choose. He said he wanted to try basketball, that's why we signed up. During evaluations, he said he was bored and wanted to quit. Hasn't even played the first game. I don't care what the activity is, as long as it is something active.
Does he quit other things without giving them a chance? There sure are a lot of active activities he could get into if he finds one he likes.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:08 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Quote:
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?
Find a sport he actually enjoys instead of trying to get him into ones he doesn't seem interested in. Some people like individual sports more than team sports, or like one team sport more than another. Some people like outdoor activities over more formal sports.

I guess my question for you would be - Why do you want him to do it? Are you trying to get him to be physically active? Are you wanting him to learn to be a team player? Do you just want him to do it because you did it when you were young and liked it for yourself?

Depending on your reasons, you may be able to help him find an activity that achieves your objective without trying to pigeonhole your kid into an activity he doesn't really want to do. Think out of the box or ask him and you might come up with some new ideas.

Sometimes kids want to quit things for reasons they don't voice. They may be feeling they aren't good enough at something compared to their peers and feel pressure to be good right away instead of learning fundamentals and just having fun. Sometimes they may be encountering some negative people like bullies or kids picking on them, etc., that can take the fun out of it. It is a skill we have to learn to stick with something that is hard/challenging and what the pay off is, but that often is not our natural instinct, so we may need help to learn that skill.

Also - my parents had a rule they always told us about when we signed up for something - no quitting. You have to stick it out for the season, but if you do not want to do it again after that, fine. When you sign up, you are committed for that go round. You might consider that as well and make sure it is communicated up front.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:33 AM

818 posts, read 319,628 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's awesome. My son is not that self directed. My husband said he was the same way. He put himself into all kinds of sports. We might try a family bowling league or something.

It is good because it keeps him busy, but it is so expensive with all the travel etc.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:12 AM

4,817 posts, read 2,344,925 times
Quote:
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?
My son had 0 interest in sports. We put him in basketball for a couple seasons and he didnt like it. I even coached the team. So we switched him to soccer this year! He loves it now. He likes practice and the games. He is not good, but he has fun! Fornite, Youtube, and tablets are banned in our house. As soon as we ditched the electronics. It was like a new child was born.

he is 10

Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 AM

658 posts, read 225,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
My son had 0 interest in sports. We put him in basketball for a couple seasons and he didnt like it. I even coached the team. So we switched him to soccer this year! He loves it now. He likes practice and the games. He is not good, but he has fun! Fornite, Youtube, and tablets are banned in our house. As soon as we ditched the electronics. It was like a new child was born.

he is 10
Yes! exactly. I have banned electronics for the last 2 weeks and he has been so much more social and connected. It really has been more great! I understand totally what you mean about seeing a totally different child!

Old 10-25-2018, 10:26 AM

1,133 posts, read 401,620 times
Quote:
You can't make someone be interested in something if they're not just because YOU want them to be.There are other things besides sports...how about music?Or you can ask him what his interests are.It's not like he's too young to not know what he likes or dislikes.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:39 AM

72,633 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
You sure he doesn't dislike sports because of the competition? Sign him up for a beer league (not sure what they are called) where people play for fun and not competition.

A lot of school/kid teams play with a goal of winning the game. The beer teams play for fun, they drink beer while waiting for their turn to bat, etc. Kids can join minus the drinking... They get soda instead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_league
This sounds like a terrible idea! Getting kids hooked on soda? Do you realize, that soda is one of the main contributors to child obesity today? Why do they have to ingest anything, while waiting their turn? That's crazy!

Old 10-25-2018, 10:46 AM

9,833 posts, read 5,715,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
You can't make someone be interested in something if they're not just because YOU want them to be.There are other things besides sports...how about music?Or you can ask him what his interests are.It's not like he's too young to not know what he likes or dislikes.
I would worry about kids who if left to their own devices spend all their time on the computer, becoming anti-social and fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or