U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:20 AM

2,883 posts, read 1,014,551 times

Advertisements

OP: What is he watching on YouTube?

Think back to yourself at that age. No one had to "get me into" anything. I decided what I was interested in and pursued it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 12:15 PM

3,656 posts, read 1,193,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?

Let him decide which sport he wants to do. If he's not interested, he's not interested. Don't push it on him.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Go with lifelong sports for whole family for both fun & exercise...
water ski, downhill snow ski or board, cross country ski, golf, tennis, swim, roller skate, ice skate, skate board, cycling, running--3k,5k work up to marathons.

That's what my nephews' parents did. Biking, skiing, running.

Now my nephews are competing or have competed in Nordic skiing, cross country running, biathlon, football. My oldest nephew's HS x-country team is undefeated and ranked #2 in NYS for their class. They compete in the Conference Championships in 2 days, Sectionals next week, and State Championships in 2 weeks. After that he will most likely be the team captain for the school's Nordic ski team (he's a senior this year). His little brother holds the school record for pentathlon. He gave up competing in Nordic skiing to do indoor track as well, and his parents had no problem with that. Doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy skiing anymore, he just wanted to try something new.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Kids who don't have a strong talent in a skilled sport sometimes find their niche in X-country running.

There's more to that sport than just running with reckless abandon, especially in a team situation. It's not an "easier" sport.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
It is good because it keeps him busy, but it is so expensive with all the travel etc.

What travel? Bowling leagues take place in the same facility for the entire season. You are confusing league bowling with professional tour bowling. That involves travel; league bowling does not.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 PM

1,008 posts, read 525,987 times
I didn't read all of the replies, but why try to force him into sports if he isn't interested? It sounds like he has other interests that keep him busy and that he will learn from.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:38 PM

971 posts, read 274,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I work from home and that isn't an option. He wants his own youtube channel and has aspirations of being a pro-youtuber. I don't mind him getting on sometimes, but he gets addicted!
I think youre in trouble.
He's seeing people be successful getting attention on youtube, he will try to do it any way he can even after you ban electronics in the house. If he thinks that is his calling, he will start a channel any way he can.
If he starts hanging out with a friend often, thats probably what hes doing. Playing basketball isnt fun if you think fun is mocking, or commentating on the ball players on youtube. Alot of the most successful youtubers are introverts.
You have alot of work ahead of you to divert him away from that.

I was playing with turntables and running to keyboards from when I could walk, its all I wanted to do. Im 46 and I STILL cant give that stuff up. No matter how much I try to go corporate.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:42 PM

1,008 posts, read 525,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I think youre in trouble.
He's seeing people be successful getting attention on youtube, he will try to do it any way he can even after you ban electronics in the house. If he thinks that is his calling, he will start a channel any way he can.
If he starts hanging out with a friend often, thats probably what hes doing. Playing basketball isnt fun if you think fun is mocking, or commentating on the ball players on youtube. Alot of the most successful youtubers are introverts.
You have alot of work ahead of you to divert him away from that.
It's just a hobby for a kid, what's the harm really? When I was a teenager I had dreams that my rock band would be successful and that I would travel the world playing music. That didn't happen yet I somehow managed to grow into a well adjusted adult.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 PM

9,834 posts, read 5,715,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
It's just a hobby for a kid, what's the harm really? When I was a teenager I had dreams that my rock band would be successful and that I would travel the world playing music. That didn't happen yet I somehow managed to grow into a well adjusted adult.
That is different because it became black and white at some point. YouTube is for everyone and some people will go to great lengths to be a paid Youtuber. People freaked out when they changed the monetization, one lady even shot up the headquarters. Then the argument was that YouTube was ruining people's "careers" with stricter requirements.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:29 PM

18,972 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Find an outlet for the activities that he likes to do rather than trying to change him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or