U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:46 PM

3,027 posts, read 1,206,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I would worry about kids who if left to their own devices spend all their time on the computer, becoming anti-social and fat.
It is not ďdo a sportĒ or become antisocial and fat. Certainly the OP has legitimate concerns about her son spending all day on YouTube, and I also think that if he expressed an interest in basketball he needs to at least try it through a (short) season before giving it up. However, if he finishes it up and hates it, then itís time for him to find something else. If that happens to be playing trumpet, bowling, doing filmmaking and drama (which might be right up his alley if he wants to be a YouTuber), etc., itís a good way for him to get out of the house. I really think anything having to do with drama/theater, etc would be the best bet to help him get some good skills with public speaking if he wants to be on YouTube. Lots of YouTubers might be introverts, but lots of great public speakers also used to be introverts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:57 PM

1,300 posts, read 636,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Find an outlet for the activities that he likes to do rather than trying to change him
This is, IMO, a good comment, and a bad comment. One should focus on what the child likes, and it should be given consideration, if not priority. But children are not adults, and do not have adult judgement. There should be basic rules in place, and physical activity should be one of those. If the child isn't interested in ball sports, they won't be any good at them. Ball sports are team sports, but when my son was growing, and I was coaching the soccer leagues, I don't recall ever seeing a kid there because they wanted to be on the team. There were some kids who loved ball sports (or, in the case of hockey, pucks). There are other choices. Inline skating - speed skating. BMX and road cycling. Martial arts. Etc.

Humans are meant to move. When we don't move we become unhealthy and die sooner. Kids need to have something physical in their lives. Of course, kids do follow the examples parents set - nothing new about that.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
This is, IMO, a good comment, and a bad comment. One should focus on what the child likes, and it should be given consideration, if not priority. But children are not adults, and do not have adult judgement. There should be basic rules in place, and physical activity should be one of those. If the child isn't interested in ball sports, they won't be any good at them. Ball sports are team sports, but when my son was growing, and I was coaching the soccer leagues, I don't recall ever seeing a kid there because they wanted to be on the team. There were some kids who loved ball sports (or, in the case of hockey, pucks). There are other choices. Inline skating - speed skating. BMX and road cycling. Martial arts. Etc.

Humans are meant to move. When we don't move we become unhealthy and die sooner. Kids need to have something physical in their lives. Of course, kids do follow the examples parents set - nothing new about that.
I never said he shouldn't move. My son doesn't care for sports but he walks a couple of miles a day, as well as spending time watching youtube and playing video games and chess and doing computer programming for fun.

At 11, kids know what they like and don't like. And unfortunately, in today's world, by 11, the kids who are playing sports do want to be there, and want to be competitive at it. in 5th grade, I let my son quit soccer because it was already 3 practices and 1 game each week and was only going to increase the next year. If he enjoyed it and wanted to keep going, I would have made it happen, but it was incredibly disruptive of our life and all other activities. There was no need for me to keep making him play a sport just to play a sport. He gets his movement in other forms.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:16 PM

2,084 posts, read 792,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?
You sound like a good dad and your boy a great kid.

There is nothing wrong with a kid not liking sports. He's a scout and goes to church. That's great!!
How about taking him out in nature just you and him. Go for walks. Teach him how to fish. Get some fresh air. Ball and glove. Take him golfing. Play Frisbee. Spend time with him. Build that bond and make it last a life time. Listen to him. Paying attention to him and appreciating him is worth more than all of the games he could play. The time you spend together is worth more than gold.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:26 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,730,432 times
If he isn't interested, don't force him.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:24 PM

6,433 posts, read 2,340,871 times
If he doesn't like team sports, what about track and field? Or gymnastics?

Old 10-25-2018, 11:19 PM

8,376 posts, read 7,365,888 times
Question: Why is it so important to you, that your son participate in sports?

It appears to me, you want to live your love of sports through your son. Forcing him to participate in sports he is not into is the worst thing you can do to him. Read these two articles to understand.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...ive-parenting/

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/samant...b_2616596.html

I know. I was 6'2" tall 180 pounds of solid muscle when I started high school. I had great muscle coordination, from being raised on a large ranch. I could ride the bucking horses, as I did many times from about 12 years as we broke them to sell. I could rope cattle and tie them for branding. I also could shoot with either hand with a pistol or rifle from hip or rifles from the shoulder. If we had high school rodeo or shooting sports as some bigger high schools had, I would have been a star.

But I hated ball sports, and did not participate in teams. I was one of the best ball room dancers in our area. In our school, the girls gym classes would split in two, half the girls suiting up for sports.and the other half would be taught ball room dancing. Senior year, 1st day of school, I told the coach I did not feel good enough to suit up, and run track. He told me just sit in dressing room. I slipped out into the girls gym we were attached to, sat in the bleachers, to watch the girls dance.

The teacher asked me to join them, and to help her teach the girls to dance. At the end of the class, she had me summon the coach and talked me into spending my gym class as an assistant dance teacher. I did have to suit up once to run a mile on the track, as state law required all able boy students had to run a 7 minute mile to graduate. Without any practice, I did it, and coach told me to go back, spending my classes in the girls gym. I only got a B+ for gym. The girls dance teacher wanted me to have an A, but my coach said no

There are a lot of children forced into sports that hate it, and it effects them for life. OP, don't force him into sports, as doing so damages a lot of kids.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:00 AM

9,169 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?
Quote:
Me too-Bowling might be a good idea, a little more recreational. He is more into Beyblades and Pokemon.
I don't think he's going to give up Pokemon any time soon. My son (33) has been into it since it came out. I don't know specifics but he goes on local Pokemon meets where they play the game in different areas in our town. He may be in a FB group for it, not sure, I can ask where he finds the info. I'm not saying get him a FB profile at 11; you could join or make him one that only you log into.

Some people just aren't into sports. He may be one of them. People are making money on you tube. It may not be such a bad thing.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:20 AM

3,165 posts, read 2,896,647 times
Quote:
I know what he wants...to stay on youtube ALL day! That aint happening.
Can you get him a trampoline (with a net)? A bike? You can do family bike rides or have family trampoline time. Have him mow the lawn?

I have a son that's almost 11 and he has a processing disorder that makes the social stuff hard for him. I make him pick an activity in the spring and fall (summer is ungodly hot here so we go to the pool and that's the activity) otherwise he would be on YouTube or playing Fortnite. He's been playing soccer since he was 5 so he chose soccer.

We got a trampoline 4 years ago and it was a great investment. We lost it a couple of weeks ago in Hurricane Michael. We have a new square one on the way.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:25 AM

13,140 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
My son had 0 interest in sports. We put him in basketball for a couple seasons and he didnt like it. I even coached the team. So we switched him to soccer this year! He loves it now. He likes practice and the games. He is not good, but he has fun! Fornite, Youtube, and tablets are banned in our house. As soon as we ditched the electronics. It was like a new child was born.

he is 10
Something similar happened to my BIL's kids. He quizzed them on what they liked in terms of physical activity. Many people automatically assume basketball and football, but they disliked both sports. Instead, the three boys fell in love with soccer, and their daughter, who was more introverted, became her high school's cross country champion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or