U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 05:58 PM

658 posts, read 224,320 times

Advertisements

My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:00 PM

39,003 posts, read 37,656,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son is 11 and we recently moved to a new town over the summer. He transitioned well and is in a youth group at church and scouts. I recently signed him up for basketball at church. He agreed to go for evaluations but doesn't really seem all that interested. He has never really been interested in sports. How can I get him more interested?
Get his friends to sign up.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Get his friends to sign up.
Doesn't have any here. He is friendly towards other kids, but has not found that pal yet. That is the main reason I am signing him up. It takes him a while to warm up

Old 10-24-2018, 06:08 PM

619 posts, read 223,627 times
"He has never really been interested in sports."

just like my son. no ball or stick sports.
now he does the biathlon.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:14 PM

Have him watch Hoosiers!

Do you have a goal in the driveway? Shooting hoops with mom or dad is a fun way to do it. But it has to be about fun. Any kind of pressure will turn them off. At least have him practice running and dribbling in the driveway so he can get the hang of that before he shows up. Does he do anything else physical? It's usually a natural segue, and if he's an only child you and his dad can be role models for him.

Surely he will have some classmates who will be in the league that he will recognize when he gets there. Hopefully on day one of evals he will find a pal to buddy up with. If not, do you have a pro team nearby? Or even a good college team? Taking him to see a game in person can do the trick.

If he really isn't into sports, you can't make him like them. But he can develop an interest. Make sure the league is a rec league so there aren't AAU-level players in there. If being in a league is too much, you could just sign him up for a camp over the Christmas holidays, where he just goes for two hours a day for 3-5 days in a row.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:15 PM

5,860 posts, read 7,082,141 times
Expecting him to find a pal while participating in an activity that he shows no interest in seems a little unrealistic. Who knows though, maybe he'll find another kid that doesn't enjoy it either.

My son played basketball for years. By age 11 those kids that play, even in a church league, are pretty competitive about it. I'm afraid this will backfire for you.

I'd look for opportunities for him to participate in less main stream sports: bowling, martial arts, tennis, etc. If he's not an avid sports watcher it's unlikely he'll enjoy participating much in basketball.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

My son played basketball for years. By age 11 those kids that play, even in a church league, are pretty competitive about it. I'm afraid this will backfire for you.
That's what I'm afraid of too. My sons started playing at age 5, and by 11 they were playing year round.

The right league can be great for rookies, though.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:28 PM

3,023 posts, read 1,204,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Expecting him to find a pal while participating in an activity that he shows no interest in seems a little unrealistic. Who knows though, maybe he'll find another kid that doesn't enjoy it either.

I'd look for opportunities for him to participate in less main stream sports: bowling, martial arts, tennis, etc. If he's not an avid sports watcher it's unlikely he'll enjoy participating much in basketball.
Some kids just have no interest in team sports whatsoever. It might be that he would prefer something more individual like swimming, track and field, or tennis. It might also be that he has no interest in any sport at all and something like band might be right up his alley. My suggestion would be to have him try a variety of (less competitive) activities to see what he might actually like and then go from there, even if it might not be something that the OP really prefers. That might be something like martial arts, theater, starting the trumpet to be in the school band, etc.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's what I'm afraid of too. My sons started playing at age 5, and by 11 they were playing year round.

The right league can be great for rookies, though.
Me too-Bowling might be a good idea, a little more recreational. He is more into Beyblades and Pokemon.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Me too-Bowling might be a good idea, a little more recreational. He is more into Beyblades and Pokemon.
Have you heard of geocaching?

It's like a hiking scavenger hunt, and it seems to be a good intersection of people who like brainy stuff like puzzles and orienteering and those who like nature.

See if there is geocaching in your area, and go on some hunts together.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...hing-kids.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or