Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm reading exactly what was posted by the OP, and quoting the teacher's communication.
The only one of those who was there is the teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 05:58 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,696 times
Honestly this is just a phase kids go through. My 8yo went through the same thing a few months ago and he has never actually used it other than to say “the f word.” I recall doing the same as a kid so unless he’s using it I would make it clear he shouldn’t use it or talk about it abs let it go.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 757 times
They are in this world and will explore these words out one way or the other, the better thing to do in this case is to get friendly with the kids and let them tell you everything without you (parent) giving a shocking or adverse reaction.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:58 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
I have only read the first page of responses, but we handled "bad words" differently. I'd say my kids were a bit older, maybe 10 or 11, when they started wanting to use them. We told them that we, in our house, were not offended by these words and that they are just words, BUT sometimes other people find them offensive. Also, they are not appropriate to use at school, in church, or in public. Allowing them to say these words at home took the wind out of their sails and made them less naughty and taboo.

To me, it was more important for them to be able to know and read their audience, because that is something that many adults seem to struggle with. When they were 7 or 8, for example, I taught them not to tell any of their friends that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny weren't real, because many families like to pretend that they are and it's mean to be the one who disappoints another child. And when they were younger than that, they learned not to talk about their bodily functions in mixed company. To me, using bad language falls along those lines.

Of course, if using dirty words is taboo in your home, that is perfectly fine, and you should adjust your teachings accordingly. Just know that kids are going to experiment with language, and it's absolutely normal for them to think that four-letter words are just hilarious. It's similar to a 4-year-old making poop jokes. They need to learn when it's highly inappropriate to use them and when it's slightly less inappropriate.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,033 times
I have a 7-year old boy. The other night, he was mad at my husband over some trivial matter, and pouting in his room. I came in to do bedtime stories, but was multi-tasking as I entered the room, having a text conversation w/ another child who needed a ride from an after-school activity, so he didn't have my full attention.

Son, in a tightly controlled voice, furrowed brow: "I'm mad at Daddy and I'm going to use some words."

Me: "Huh? What? You're mad? I'm sorry. Yes, use your words, that's a good idea." (thinking this is the alternative to having a physical temper tantrum)

Son: "I'm going to use words like Daddy does!"

Me, still not getting where this is going: "That's great. I try to use words to describe how I am feeling too - "

Son, frustrated at my lack of comprehension: "No, Mom! Not words like you use! Words like Dad uses! Like the S H word."

Me, cause I'm slow: "What? What's an esatch word?"

Son, beyond frustrated: "Mom! The S H word. You know! S! H! Rhymes with HIT!"

Oooooooh!!!

Then I couldn't stop laughing myself. Poor kid, can't even shock his mother properly.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:58 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
That is funny! But you had better have a conversation with your husband about cleaning up HIS language, at least around the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting