U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM

5,115 posts, read 4,389,752 times

Advertisements

Neglecting to tell someone you love (son, brother, friend, sister, whomever) that they are being lied to is the same as lying to them. Hiding the truth is lying.

If I found out that a friend or family member knew I was being cheated on and failed to relay that info to me, I would be furious with them. I'd consider their silence in the matter to be almost as bad as the behavior of the cheater, maybe even worse, because they are a loved one who should be willing to protect and defend me, not lie to my face.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 01:43 PM

7,216 posts, read 4,706,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Neglecting to tell someone you love (son, brother, friend, sister, whomever) that they are being lied to is the same as lying to them. Hiding the truth is lying.

If I found out that a friend or family member knew I was being cheated on and failed to relay that info to me, I would be furious with them. I'd consider their silence in the matter to be almost as bad as the behavior of the cheater, maybe even worse, because they are a loved one who should be willing to protect and defend me, not lie to my face.
Agree. I would tell them and allow them to work it out from there.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:02 PM

11,465 posts, read 6,853,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
This is why sons need their fathers. Mothers let their sons get cheated on for 4 months without telling them, and talk to the person cheating on them instead of going directly to the son. Fathers aren't going to leave their sons out to dry like that.
No. Mothers do not let there sons get cheated on for 4 months. The OP did, but she does not represent all mothers. I would not have waited to tell, they would deserve to know.

Just as I would tell a sibling, friend, or anyone else I was close with if I knew they were in a relationship with a cheater.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:39 PM

72 posts, read 23,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No. Mothers do not let there sons get cheated on for 4 months. The OP did, but she does not represent all mothers. I would not have waited to tell, they would deserve to know.

Just as I would tell a sibling, friend, or anyone else I was close with if I knew they were in a relationship with a cheater.
So threads over now.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:23 AM
Status: "Was it for this my life I sought?" (set 4 days ago)

7,097 posts, read 2,710,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Plenty of mothers advised the OP not to tell him on this thread. Not all, but more than a few. Perhaps they are more able to see it from the cheating girlfriend's perspective or can't empathize entirely with the son's perspective. Either way no father worth his salt is going to let his son be played the fool like that without at least letting him know what's up.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:20 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,513 posts, read 14,551,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
This is why sons need their fathers. Mothers let their sons get cheated on for 4 months without telling them, and talk to the person cheating on them instead of going directly to the son. Fathers aren't going to leave their sons out to dry like that.
Now that the point has been brought up, not that I ever would get in this situation, but I feel that if I did and my dad found out I bet he would tell me, and i bet if my mom found out she'd whisper to my dad and get him to deliver the bad news and then console me.

That's what happens in traditional nuclear families working on the old model ('50s, SAHM, etc.). What we have now is lots of single parents. Many of those children are missing a parent.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:49 PM

1,043 posts, read 702,549 times
I'm a mom and if my son's girlfriend was cheating on him, yes I would tell him even if it makes him mad.. I would rather he be mad at me for a little while then risk him getting std or accused of a pregnancy that may not be by him.

Old Today, 03:51 PM

9,005 posts, read 14,006,384 times
I'd ask him what his expectations are of her. Are they in a monogamous relationship? If so, tell him. If not, no biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or