U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 05:34 AM

2,307 posts, read 1,292,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
In my case, without being too specific and long winded....

Yes, my son literally saved my life. Raising him has been
the biggest success of my life. I am incredibly grateful to
be a parent.
My daughter also saved my life when she was 7 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 08:26 AM

10,469 posts, read 7,560,259 times
No way! They'll break your heart until it feels like it's being held together with staples but I love those two crazies with every fiber of my being.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:25 AM

623 posts, read 414,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
Does anyone here think their life would have been better without children? Or perhaps would have taken a wholly different direction?
Don't regret having children, only the choice I made on a mate to make them with. I ended up having to do it alone as a single father. It was a very bumpy road, but eventually it ended well.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 AM

1,955 posts, read 750,580 times
I do most heartily regret reproducing, despite the fact that all 4 are productive citizens (youngest two still in college, one freshman at Purdue other 3rd year at UNC).

None gave me a speck of trouble and all are bragworthy to varying degrees however, I am so ill suited to the emotional, nurturing aspect of motherhood that all 4 suffered from being raised in an emotional vacuum.

I did very well in all practical areas of childrearing; they were raised in a highly structured household in very nice middle class sections, younger two had private schools, I was always home when they got in from school, their lives were filled with wholesome activities and enrichments.

What they never got was love. I functioned much like a nanny, an old school British nanny not a young fun loving type of nanny. I never played with them nor had any fun with them; I am incapable of that and in fact don't enjoy children at all.

All 4 are quite emotionally stunted as a result of their rearing.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:01 AM

3,320 posts, read 2,198,751 times
Well, girls in puberty gives one pause! Seriously, my daughter gave me a reason to hang on when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and she has turned into a fine young woman of whom I am very proud.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:52 AM

6,948 posts, read 2,602,059 times
Parenting is tough but very rewarding. I also don't know what else I'd have done with myself if I hadn't had kids. The last few years of being childless for me, I kept thinking something was missing and it was time to take the next step in life. I have no regrets but I wouldn't mind a weekend off every once in a while.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:50 PM

4,731 posts, read 2,338,531 times
My parents regret that they had to have children before birth control was available. Neither one of them wanted kids. My mom said if the pill had come along a year earlier, she never would have had my brothers. She always said she wished she never had kids and told us that or a regular basis. I'm sure her first reaction at finding out she was pregnant was "Oh, s**t!"

Old 11-12-2018, 05:21 PM

455 posts, read 606,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
There's a saying, "Show me a boy at seven, and I'll show you the man." It is said that a person's personality is formed by age 7 or so.

There was a documentary years ago, where the "scientist" interviewed a group of the same children at different ages as they grew up. It was in Great Britain, I think. It seemed to be true that the children had the same flaws or good points that they had as little kids. Except I remembered that the one black boy did get more quiet and sullen as he grew up and realized he was different or was treated differently, or maybe had different opportunities? Something like that. The basics were still there, but the kids did react to their worldly environment, as they grew up. It was a very interesting documentary. It was updated years later, when they were interviewed as adults.
The UP Series! Premiered in 1964 when the kids were 7 (7 UP), and subsequently interviewed every seven years. The latest installment was 56 UP in 2013. Canít wait for 63 UP in 2020.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:34 PM

4,062 posts, read 1,814,607 times
Quote:
Does anyone here think their life would have been better without children? Or perhaps would have taken a wholly different direction?
Way different but not for the better!

I'd be dead by now for sure. I could have made more money. A LOT more money. You know what me, minus children, plus more money would equal?

A meteor. A massive, million-tons of exploding fireball space-rock, hurtling into the atmosphere & slamming into the earth at 1,200 miles per minute.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM

15,960 posts, read 8,883,089 times
Quote:
Better? Absolutely not.

Different direction? Most definitely. How could it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting