U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:40 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,052,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Oh HELL no! You can have my wet wipes when I can have your non-composting, water-wasting, indoor toilets. All of them!

You want to put parents elbow-deep in **** for a measely 2 years of the lives of every human being they raise? Then you can go squat over an open-pit latrine for the rest of your goddamn life. That'd do a LOT more to save the environment than this nonsense!
Why does it matter, they're elbow-deep with wipes anyway. Better for the environment and budget to use cloth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,052,560 times
I see everyone line-dried the diapers... what's wrong with machine drying?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:57 AM

16,253 posts, read 18,202,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
More expensive for one thing. It is eco-friendly. It actually helps the diapers last longer for another. The sun works better than bleach which is not very eco-friendly.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 PM

399 posts, read 90,856 times
I didn’t realize wipes contained plastic. Why. The simple thing to me is to make biodegradable wipes. Surely it can be done.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:08 PM

525 posts, read 72,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
More expensive for one thing. It is eco-friendly. It actually helps the diapers last longer for another. The sun works better than bleach which is not very eco-friendly.
Ah-ha... another mother that's familiar with the old-fashioned way.

Aside from the many benefits of line-drying babies diapers, I loved the nostalgic look. There was no question, diapers were in use in homes where those nameless, white flags swayed and danced on the line.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:14 PM

525 posts, read 72,846 times
Quote:
I machine dried (electric tumble dried) diapers when the weather turned cold and miserable (late fall - through winter), but from early spring until early fall, diapers and plastic pants hung proudly from my wash-line.

Nothing spoke "baby" more, than a long line dressed in diapers, and rather than pluck an idle diaper from the folded stack when getting my kids ready for bed, I reveled in making a special trip outside to pull a fresh diaper off the line. Nothing felt more befitting to me than snapping a fresh diaper off the clothesline, folding it, and applying a safety pin to each side at change-time.

Last edited by Size18; 06-20-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-22-2019, 09:46 AM

12,098 posts, read 8,698,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I would like to see a ban on disposable diapers, but can you imagine the outcry that would result? Women around the world would protest that their rights were being violated, but the reality is that 2-3 years of disposable diapers for every human born since the 1980s is probably one of the biggest garbage/plastics problems that people have ever created.
Those Pampers came out in 1967. We used them for traveling to see granny in California. I thought I would just buy more there. California didn't have them yet so we had to buy a couple dozen cloth diapers to get back to St. Louis.

I wondered at the time about the mountain of disposable diapers we'd be climbing over.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 981,010 times
What's next, feminine napkins? Women using washcloths like the old days? lol

I feel for the daycares and senior care centers, as well as single working poorer mums if they get rid of disposable diapers. They get them free usually, but I'm not sure how they'll feel about all that extra work.

How eco-friendly is all that washing? You'll be changing more often with cloth, maybe an extra load or two a day depending on how many are in diapers. Isn't that just as bad?

But, yeah, plastics are the new solar. Two bad recycling isn't better, there's a reason people switched to disposable diapers. I don't have kids but I have taken care of incontinent adults and I can't imagine cloth only, the amount of laundry would be really high in nursing homes.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:10 PM

21,734 posts, read 14,409,788 times
Quote:
Why does it matter, they're elbow-deep with wipes anyway. Better for the environment and budget to use cloth.
Maybe, then again maybe not.

Hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare facilities who generate more laundry in a day than most households in an entire year largely switched over to disposable diapers, wash cloths and other "linens" based upon many factors, including costs including to the environment.

If you examine water, energy, chemical usage and everything else that goes into the process of laundry, there is a major cost to environment. That is why and how the EPA gets away with regulating washing machines

Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 PM

30,950 posts, read 33,928,791 times
If it weren't for disposable diapers and wipes I probably wouldn't have had kids. Oh well, I'm old now and my kids aren't having kids regardless so I don't care anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting